Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mizlizzie_gw

Bosch 300 induction top & my new cookware (long)

MizLizzie
10 years ago

Because of the generous help I obtained here in choosing my new cooktop and cookware, I thought I would post a recount of what I bought and how it works on my basic 300 series Bosch cooktop. Maybe it will query up later for someone else who's searching. I'd also add that after using the Bosch for only 6 days, I am in love. This is an awesome machine. I hope to never see another gas range as long as I live.

So . . . cookware splurges and bargains:

My only splurge was a set of WF Function Four casseroles ranging from 2-qt to 6-qt. I am using them mostly for soups, beans, and small batches of pasta. Love how they can strain or seal tight. Being uber-German, they conduct fast and cook beautifully. Scored them online at Sierra Trading Post for just under $300 using various coupons and retail-finagling. Not sure they were worth it, but they sure are nice to use. (I would never pay the retail of $700+ on these pieces.)

Next -- kinda-sorta splurge -- was a Cuisinart 5-quart sauté pan from their Green Gourmet tri-ply line. Amazon, $99. It is almost identical to my beloved Cusinart 5.5-quart that I had used for years and years. The new version is indeed induction compatible, cooks well and cleans up like a dream.

My best bargain was a 12-quart stockpot that came with both a steamer insert and a pasta insert for only $30 at my local BB&B on one of my magnet-hunts. It is their house brand, I believe, called Denmark Tools. Got an asparagus steamer from that same line for $15. These are pots I will rarely use, so I didn't want to spend a lot. They cook fast on induction even though they were clearly NOT marked as being compatible. They are priced a bit higher on the BB&B website, so maybe mine were priced incorrectly? And I question whether they will hold up at this price. Worth a shot, tho.

Second best bargain -- I got a weird and very cheap Oster 1-quart glass-lidded saucepan at Tuesday Morning for $24 and it conducts super fast and without a sound. Again, not advertised as induction compatible, so it just proves you gotta shop with your magnet.

Lastly, at Overstock I scored an Anolon Copper duo -- a 12" skillet and a 12" everyday pan with one lid. These are my go-to pans for frying and sautéing. Wow is all I can say for Anolon Copper + induction. I paid very little -- maybe $60 for the pair. They are sold out now, sadly, and I can't find that combo anywhere else.

So, these few pieces, combined with my 30-year old Lodge cornbread pan and my 5-quart Le Creuset knockoff, are all I have for stovetop use. There is no loud buzzing, vibrating, or clicking or any noise whatsoever from any of them--just the faintest sound of the induction cycling. They all work perfectly. My cooktop is a dream, and the pot-sense function has accepted every pot-n-hob combination I've tried to use. I could not be more pleased.

Thanks again to everyone here who helped me out and saved me from so many mistakes. If anyone has questions, I would be pleased to pay it forward.

This post was edited by MizLizzie on Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 11:14

Comments (14)

• barryv_gw
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thanks for review and update on your cookware selections. It is always good to hear someone is happy about their purchase.

• FmrQuahog
    10 years ago

Great post. Very informative and written in a cheerful, concise style.

• flsandytoes
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for your post. I'm changing to induction next year and had thought I wouldn't even bother with a large stockpot, because it's just something so seldom used, maybe once a year. I couldn't see spending $80+ on one. Now I think I'll set a low ceiling (your $30 sounds good) and look for something that works.

I'm told that a lot of Graniteware and other enameled steel works well, too. Something else to look for.

• flsandytoes
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for your post. I'm changing to induction next year and had thought I wouldn't even bother with a large stockpot, because it's just something so seldom used, maybe once a year. I couldn't see spending $80+ on one. Now I think I'll set a low ceiling (your $30 sounds good) and look for something that works.

I'm told that a lot of Graniteware and other enameled steel works well, too. Something else to look for.

• MizLizzie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Two months in, and I've used the dickens out of that stock pot. Just tonight I cooked a gallon of green beans in it. Honestly, it's awesome. Yes, I run it through the dishwasher. Every piece of cookware is still holding up flawlessly, cleans like a dream, and the Bosch 300 induction top? I kiss it every night as I wipe it down with vinegar. It takes 30 seconds, and I have yet to have to scrape or scrub anything off that glossy black surface. My husband calls the new kitchen my Starship Enterprise.

• sf7307
    10 years ago

Darn, I thought I had posted to ask you a question, but it's not there.

You may have seen my posts regarding induction cooktop burner sizes and power output. I note that the highest KWh on the Bosch is lower (2400) than many of the other brands. This has not been an issue? What about the burner sizes - adequate? We like to use a 12-in. frying pan - will it work on the largest burner?

• MizLizzie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

>>> I note that the highest KWh on the Bosch is lower (2400) than many of the other brands. This has not been an issue?

Not for me. It does everything I need it to do, and quickly. I assume its all in the engineering, and KWh is just a number. The technical folks here may have a better explanation. I should also note that I've used many induction cooktops over the years while traveling abroad, and this is the fastest one I've seen, but YMMV.

>>>What about the burner sizes - adequate? We like to use a 12-in. frying pan - will it work on the largest burner?

Yes, I believe all Bosch inductions have a "pot sense" function. My Cuisinart 5.5 saute is just over 12" across the bottom and works like a charm on the 11" element. On something of a lark, I also bought a very cheap 13.5" griddle that worked fine, too. Worked fine in that it heated up, but it bowed under high heat and proved useless in that respect. A $20 experiment that went to Goodwill. ;-) Not the fault of the cooktop.

• jwvideo
    10 years ago

sf3707:

To add to what MizLizzie said, you might have a look at the link below to Bosch's specs page for the 300.

It says the front left heating element (the 9" one) is rated to 2.2 kW (2200 watts) and can be boosted to 3.3 kW. The right rear (11" burner) is rated for 2.4 kW and boosts to 3.6 kW. The two 6" burners are rated for 1.4 kW and boost to 1.8 kW.

You might also want to download and read the User's Manual for the 300 series induction cooktops. Go to this page:

https://portal.bsh-partner.com/portalbD1kZSZjPTAwOQ==/PORTALFRAME.HTM

and download the second item (the one with the biggest file size).

As for using a 12-inch frying pan on the 11" burner, there should be no problem. As MizLizzie says, there shouldn't be any problem with using a pan large than the burner diameter.

When MizLizzie pointed out that her Cuisnart pan was more than 12" across the base take that as a significant point. For induction burners, the important measurement is the diameter across base of the pan, not the ultimate diameter at across the top.

Most 12" frying pans are measured across the top, but it is the size of the magnetic base that the burner's "pot sense" function will "see." The bases of many stainless steel 12" skillets will actually be about 9 inches or less. My cast iron 12" skillet is bit larger -- roughly 10" by my measurement and use on induction. Anything over 7.5" should be fine on an 11" induction burner. No problem with using the 9" burner, either.

The one caveat is that, depending on how the pan is made and the amount of preheating you give it, and the kind of cooking you do, you might (or might not find) with a digital thermometer gun and a pan whose base is more than 12" across that the very outer edges (the parts beyond 12") might register a little cooler than the parts within the 12" area. This is very much a YMMV thing. For me, it has never been noticeable for what I cook, and does not seem to be one for MizLizzie, either, but other folks have, from time to time, seen this as an issue for their cooking.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bosch 300 specs page

This post was edited by JWVideo on Thu, Aug 15, 13 at 11:05

• MizLizzie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, JWV. Was hoping you'd chime in. ;-)

• bend_or
    10 years ago

corrected link (it may have changed)

Here is a link that might be useful: Docs for the 300 series induction cooktops

• bend_or
    10 years ago

While I was shopping for induction I had numerous sales persons tell me that it is better to have the metal trim on this style cooktop. Of course whenever these comments were made it was while standing in front of a cooktop with metal bordering trim.

Is there a higher incidence of chipped or cracked induction cooktop edges due to no trim, such as illustrated by this Bosch? I like this Bosch NIT3065UC, a lot.

Thanks.

• moebus
    10 years ago

I looked in to that when buying a Gagg cooktop. Without the trim, the top is inset in the counter and silicone is put around it to seal the edge. According to my installer, repair types hate this because they have to replace it after repairs and few of them know how to do a good job. Couldn't find any evidence of additional failures without the trim.

• MizLizzie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My Bosch top is not inset. It sits on the quartz. They sealed it to the quartz at install, but you cannot see the silicone or whatever it is. The appearance is very much the look of a black slab of glass floating on the counter, which was the look I wanted. Not many tops offered it. Will I regret it? Will I slam a pot against the edge and crack it? Maybe, but it looks pretty hardy. No trouble so far. That said, we don't have small children in the house nowadays, and we are not pot-slingers. YMMV.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

I have the Wolf with a metal edge - the inset wan't available a the time or I might have gone with the flush mount - although the repair guy says a lot more expensive to fix downstream if a problem.