Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
illinigirl_gw

heat loss from external blower?

illinigirl
10 years ago

More confusion about range hoods....

I'm discussing range hood options with my builder (we are working through costing, haven't started the build yet). I'm wanting something like a 36" Bluestar or similar range top for sake of discussion.

Standard ventilation Option 1 included by builder is 390 cfm with 6" pipe that vents to exterior of home.

Option 2: 400-600 cfm hood of my choosing will cost $600 for install and include 8" piping. This will have a damper for MUA requirements that opens only when hood is on.

Option 3: over 600 cfm hood of my choosing will cost $3k install for the heated makeup air requirement. He made this sound completely unnecessary.

Most of our routine cooking doesn't involve a lot of searing or frying but we do cook a lot of curry (odors) and do expect some (couple times a month) searing/stir frying type dishes. Enough where I would like the powerful rangetop.

Right now we have a GE profile with a 15K burner and NO external venting at all and we have been fine. House smells for the day but seems to clear up by the next day.

When I mentioned an external blower the builder said we would have problems with heat loss because the unit isn't in the conditioned airspace. We do live in Michigan so cold many months of the year. I've never seen that mentioned as a problem here on GW appliance forum. Why is he telling me this then? I asked him about inline and he said they could do it but don't have a lot of experience with it.

This hood business seems to be about the most complicated of the appliance choices.

thanks for any input.

Comments (7)