Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thinking of buying the American Performer 36"

Posted by psient (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 17, 13 at 16:14

Hello All:

I have had an AR for 6 years now. I have some gripes but those are detailed at great length in another thread. Has anyone purchased the AR 36" performer?

I am wondering if the BTUs on the big burners are really 25K. Also the convection oven is still the 'innovection' right? One thing that puzzles me. In the pictures I've seen the configuration of the knobs does not make sense to me.

On a 6 burner range there should be a knob for each burner. There should also bee 2 knobs for the oven; one for the function and one for the temperature. My current oven has the broil function on the temperature knob rather than on the function knob. This doesn't make any difference as the broiler has never worked. I have tried 4 times to get it fixed and it failed after one use each time. I just gave up as I don't broil that much anyway.

When it came to my broiler problem I contacted the whole gang down there as I am local to them in the LA basin. This included Bert, Alex, Shane, and the owner. No one could help me with a good fix, although they did try a little.

When I originally bought my oven distributor/dealers competed with price being a factor. However I notice that all distributors now post the same prices.

Anyway, if anyone can give me feed back on the performance of your performer I'd like to hear about it.

I am in the market for either a Thermador, BS, Culinarian, or the AR.

Thanks,

Jon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thinking of buying the American Performer 36"

I don't own one, but I've seen one work. The knobs are different, because the unit is simpler than their "Heritage" models. So only one knob for oven and broiler. You simply turn the oven temperature knob to light the oven and set the temperature...you continue to turn it all the way to light the broiler.

The broiler is slightly different as well, but claims to put out the same heat. I saw it in a showroom in S.F. maybe a year ago. It doesn't have stainless drip bowls, they are black enamel instead.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here