Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shannonaz

Replacing a GE DW with a Bosch from Best Buy?

shannonaz
11 years ago

Well, the 6 year-old GE Monogram in our new-to-us little vacation home is not cleaning well at all. We have had some minor repairs done because it was leaking. Now we are looking to replace it unless the GW experts out there think it's worth repairing this one? I do not enjoy throwing things away...I am wondering if it ever cleaned great :)

If a replacement is advisable I was thinking of a Bosch 500 series possibly from Best Buy (we aren't super familiar with this area so don't have an appliance store I trust. Yelp reviews of independent stores that carry Bosch are not encouraging...)

Is the Bosch from Best Buy going to be a sub-par version made for big box stores?

We adore our Miele at home but I am hoping I can "rough-it" on vacation with a lower priced option...I toyed with the idea of a Bosch before and welcome the chance to try one? Also, we may not own this place long and I worry about spending too much.

Thank you for your thoughts folks!

Comments (6)

• asolo
    11 years ago

From your description, can't tell why it's "not cleaning well at all". However, I can tell you this: This DW works exactly like every other dishwasher -- new or old; or like your Miele at home -- works. It sprays hot water and detergent around inside of a box. If it's working like it's supposed to, it will clean fine. If it's not, something's wrong.

It's just a machine. It can be diagnosed and fixed. Whether or not its worth doing that is the unanswered question....and a question I can't get a handle on from your description. Could be simple/easy/cheap. Could be expensive and not worth it. Is there someone knowledgeable and friendly you could all on to noodle it through or would you have to pay for a pro?

Then, again, new machines are always nice.

• shannonaz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks asolo,
    The DW is not getting dishes clean. This morning I ran a skimpy load including wide clear bowls that we ate yogurt out of. The bowls had a thin layer of white yogurt still after the load cycle was over. It makes me think that drinking glasses and silverware are also quite unclean despite looking less dirty :) Everything is wet and some of the food has washed away so the DW is doing SOMETHING...

I haven't ever repaired a DW that never cleaned dishes for me before. After running my Miele once or twice a day at home it was obvious to me the day I opened it and something was broken because I could see a clear difference from the day before. I do have a good repair guy here (he replaced a valve and the gasket) so fixing it is an option of fixing DW like this that don't clean is successful sometimes :)

• asolo
    11 years ago

The most common problems I've encountered (I'm not in the bus...just fixed a lot of machines over the decades.) are inadequate fill, failure to heat the water, and obstructed drain lines. Not saying that's what you've got...obviously don't know. Can tell you, finding out what the problem is should be pretty easy for any experienced person willing to spend a little time.

Basically, fill solenoids and drain-path clearing are cheap/easy. Pumps and circuit boards are still easy but expensive. Again, diagnosis from experienced person shouldn't take long.

It's not complicated or magical. DW's are basically pretty simple machines. If you can obtain diagnosis cheaply, I'd recommend it.

My least-favorite discovery is heat failure due to fried relay (the element itself almost never goes bad) which relay is usually integral with the circuit board which requires replacement en-toto for 150+. That's a bummer because the "tiny" problem then requires thinking fix-vs-replace consideration due to cost.

Your brief description makes me suspect fill-level and/or heat trouble. If you're inclined to obtain diagnosis, I would be interested in learning what found.

• mojavean
    11 years ago

On just about all dishwashers, diagnosis of a heat issue is pretty simple: open the door *carefully* towards the end of the wash cycle. You should see massive steam rolling out of the machine. The dishes should feel hot to the touch, uncomfortably hot. Also, since the heater is exposed on your GE, you can check it during a heated dry cycle by spritzing a little water directly on the heater element in the bottom. If the water sizzles, the heater is working.

Though I have no direct experience with the Monograms, I do have experience with both the GE Profile and the Hotpoint GE consumer line and they do not impress me much. If I were you I would cut my losses and get a German Bosch, meaning 800+, series. If you assiduously price shop, you will find one at close to what you will have to pay Best Buy for a 500 series.

• weedmeister
    11 years ago

The water level should be high enough to touch the heater element.

• dadoes
    11 years ago

The water level should be high enough to touch the heater element. Just to say, that is not the case on every dishwasher. Some fill to slightly below the heating element, and water heating is by way of the water contacting the element as it splashes & sprays through the tub.