Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
babyraccoon_gw

36" gas cooktop advice

babyraccoon
10 years ago

Hi all, I've a couple questions on 36" gas cooktops for a forthcoming remodel:

1) I'm primarily considering the Gaggenau VG295 and Wolf ICBCT36G/S. I *think* the Gaggenau would be better suited to my needs with regards to the output of the burners, but I really like the look and layout of the Wolf (the location of the knobs and the fact that they light up is very appealing). However, I'd appreciate any opinions from those with experience of either of these cooktops. I like stir-frying, and the Gaggenau has a central wok burner. How does the Wolf do for high-heat tasks like stir-frying?

2) Are there other brands I should be considering for high-end performance? Keep in mind that I live in Ireland and won't have access to many brands available in North America. Is Viking worthwhile or are there too many quality issues?

Thank you very much for any advice.

Comments (8)

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

If I lived in Europe and were looking at high end gas cooktops I would do the following.

Miele CombiSet CS1028

It is a 15" SuperBurner Gas Wok Cooktop with 27,300 BTU Output.

Miele KM360

24" Sealed Burner Gas Cooktop with 4 Burners

You have one restaurant quality burner to stir-fry, sear, sauté, grill, a dedicated simmer burner for delicate sauces, and three additional burners for normal use.

It takes 39" of counter-top space, so just 3 extra inches of what you were originally looking at.

This post was edited by deeageaux on Sat, Jun 29, 13 at 23:35

• babyraccoon
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi deeageaux, that's an interesting option and one I hadn't considered. I'll look into it. Miele don't actually make it available to the Irish market (the wok burner, that is) but a dealer here has indicated that he can get any Miele product for me. I'll have to see if it would be feasible from a cost perspective.

You seem very well-informed, and if you've any advice to dispense about ovens I'm looking for that over here:
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/appl/msg0602454814420.html

Thanks so much for your reply!

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

If the American market Miele unit does not work out maybe these UK market units will. Less powerful but still capable at about 21k btu or 6kw.

Miele Kitchen Hob CS 1011 G 6 kw Hob

de Dietrich DTG1118X Domino 6.1 kw Wok Hob

Bosch PRA326B70E Domino Hob 6 kw Gas Wok Style

Neff N24K35N0 Series 6 kw Wok Burner

• DJ493
    10 years ago

Take a look at the BlueStar RBCT365BSS.

It's the only open burner in a cooktop, 5 burners. 1 - 22,000 btu burner, 2 - 10,000 btu burners & 1 simmer burner.

As I recall in the $2100 range.

This post was edited by DJ493 on Sun, Jun 30, 13 at 12:51

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

DJ,

Bluestar is not available in Europe in general nor Ireland in particular.

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

Just saw on the Wolf Ireland website this is available.

Wolf 381mm ICBIM15/S Multi Function Domino 8KW Gas Hob.

Pricey but probably the one to get.

• babyraccoon
    Original Author
    10 years ago

yes, the Wolf multi-function one has already made in on my radar, am going to get a quote. I expect it will indeed be pricey!!

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

When I looked at the original post I assumed that the European and American versions of the Gaggenau cooktops were the same.

The center wok burner is rated as 5000 watts or 17,000 btu in the USA.

In Europe, the center wok burner is rated at 6k watts?

Is Gaggenau making different more powerful burners for Europe?

Or are standards different? An American watt is not the same as a European watt?

In any event Wolf's European rated multifunction burner rated at 8kw is grater than the Gaggenau at 6kw.