Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
GE Monogram 48 Propane Range

Posted by 35ftcabo (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 4, 12 at 15:51

I have a week-old new GE dual fuel Range (ZDP486NDPSS). I have had only electric ceramic top ranges before this. My issue is with boiling water. It takes 15 minutes for 3 quarts of water to boil, but the main problem is that it never comes to a strong boil. It's a very gentle boil. The paperwork says it's 15,000btu per burner for propane. The repairman came Friday, twirled some knobs, called his tech center, and then informed me that I would lose 6,000 btu by the propane conversion. I said that I did NOT convert, I bought the propane model, and that nowhere in the literature does it say I lose that much power.
Does anyone have any experience with this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: GE Monogram 48 Propane Range

Usually when you convert from LP to NG you loose BTUs because NG isn't as "potent" as LP. We were on propane for 6 months with all new equipment before i could bring in NG.

I have a 20kw Generator with LP, if i switch to NG (which I did) its only 18kw. bit its advertised like that.

I would give GE a call. their field conversion kit must not be the exact same NG equipment as the range from the factory. manybe the manifold is different and a field manifold swap is too hard to do in the field. The regulator is any are usually the same for both gases (just needs to be adjusted) other then the reg. a conversion is usually just a orifice swap.

o

The spec sheet "Power Rating" is saying 15k for LP and 18k for NG which is odd, so go figure. I would imagine the repair guys gave you some mis information.

o

RonySak, I think you have it backwards - you generally lose BTUs when you go from NG to LP - the spec sheet is correct.

In any case, gas cooktops do take a while to boil water - they're not nearly as fast as electric. But, you should be able to get a full boil - perhaps it's the pot you're using.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here