Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is your largest induction burner, and what do you put on it?

Posted by burntfingers (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 17, 12 at 15:25

Hello all,

I've pretty much decided on the Bosch 800 induction cooktop, which has an 11" burner (800 rather than 500 only because I like the controls in the metal strip). Last night I realized that the only pan I have now that actually has an 11" botttom surface isn't ferrous, so I'd need to replace it. And I don't know that I've ever seen a non-aluminum pan that big.

So - how big is your biggest burner, and what size pan do you use with it? How often do you use that burner? And... I know it will be less efficient, but can I still use that burner with a smaller pan?

Thank you, all those who have come before me....and know so much more!

Burntfingers

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is your largest induction burner, and what do you put on

I have the Bosch 500 series, 30" and I have the Le Creuset braiser pan that easily fits on that.
I also have a 6-1/2 quart oval le creuset that covers a great deal of the surface.
I have a 19" cast iron griddle pan (Lodge) that works beautifully there.

o

We have a 13" element on our Thermador cooktop. A 12" skillet works well with it - I've seared scallops this way and the cooktop did a great job. I also have big roasters/casseroles which will fit, but haven't tried these yet. I will when it's cooler.

I'm still learning my way around the cooktop, but so far I see plenty of ways to use the different elements with their variable sizes and power.

Cheryl

o

My largest burner is 11", too. I have 6qt, 8qt and 12qt pots, 12" skillet, 12" straight-sided skillet, all of which go on there. They're Tramontina tri-ply clad, except the 8qt, which is Wolfgang Puck from TJ Maxx. I also have a big Oneida non-stick skillet that fits on there. I use any pot with a bottom diameter of 9" or more on that burner. I use that burner on most days. When we make Sunday "family breakfast" with hash browns, eggs and a big ham slice in three separate skillets, I wish I had two burners that size. And there are only 3 of us in our house.

o

Thank you, all! Feeling much better now...

Burntfingers

o

I have the 30" GE Profile. Biggest burner looks to be 11.5 inches. I use a big oval Le Cruset, a 15" cast iron pan, and a very large steel comal on it.

o

If you need new induction-compatible pans,definitely check out Marshall's and TJMaxx. They get in different European brands at a big discount, and most of them work on induction. They usually have a lot of affordable pans, including nonstick pans.

o

Again, thank you, GWers! And Ginny, thanks for the tip - I love "browsing" in Marshalls anyway and this gives me a legitimate excuse! Will have to look for a TJMaxx somewhere as well...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here