Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eeds_gw

Dacor 36' AG, am I crazy?

eeds
11 years ago

Newbie(ish) here - I had gone in to the dealer looking to find out more about AGA Pro+, but according to him (nice guy, not too pushy and did not seem to have an agenda) the Dacor oven is much better than the AGA Pro+, esp if I tend to use convection (which I do). I liked the high/low burner on the Dacor, and the overall look and feel (though I like the AGA too).

After looking through these forums it seems Dacor has a terrible reputation, although it's hard to tell if these are outdated complaints as many of the posts date to 2010 and earlier. I noticed that Dacor is offering an extended 3-year warranty by the end of June- perhaps to combat the quality and reputation problems?

We have a total $10k appliance budget and the Dacor AG is pricing out a little under half that. Adding in a Kitchenaid CD 72" fridge, Bosch or Kitchenaid DW, Sharp convection microwave or microwave drawer. I think I'm a little over the limit already...

Any advice is appreciated!

eeds in Boulder

Comments (11)

• SparklingWater
    11 years ago

There's a lot of manufacturer's out there. My Dacor cooktop has has a work out for twelve years but don't think I'd pick them again based on an early change out due to rust on mine and a recent gw member's poor customer service with an out of the box defective cooktop (resolved positively with some pushing).

Here is a link that might be useful: Helpful link:

• jonathanpowers
    11 years ago

Hi eeds,

Thank you for considering Dacor among your appliance choices. In terms of consumer sites and other customers with problems - as with most products and services - there tends to be a disproportionate amount of negative postings on-line. That is true of the appliance industry and most industries involved in a business to consumer model. That is not to say there is not valid information posted, however, the postings alone do not provide the ratio for the total volume of any given product or service sold versus the number of failures.

Nevertheless, we like to think that one issue with a product or service for one of our customers is one too many, which is why we always recommend that our customers contact us directly regarding any concerns they may have.

Our current 3 For Free Promotion was created to help our customers in providing them with added value, in today's economy. We have been in business making very fine cooking appliances for over 45 years and our current appliances are amongst the best we've ever built.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact our Customer Service Mon-Fri. 6:00-5:00 PST at 800-793-0093 ext. 2126. We can also be reached via email at customersatisfaction@dacor.com.

Thank you,
    Dacor Customer Service

• beat
    11 years ago

I owned a Dacor 48" dual fuel range for 8 years. No problems or service calls at all. Used at least daily.

Would buy again.

IMO, the ability to service an appliance is directly related to the owners satisfaction. For example, we have a great sub zero repairman. He comes the next day, has the part, knows exactly what is wrong and how to fix it...

• eeds
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone. We decided we liked the Dacor and with a certified installer we have a 4 year warranty. So we have purchased the Dacor 36" DF 6 burner range. Will post an update after it is installed (will be quite a few months...).

We also got the Kitchenaid 72" CD FD fridge, and a Kitchenaid DW (I don't know which model) and a Zephyr hood. Still deciding about a microwave drawer or convection micro for under the counter. And then I think we are done....

• clarygrace
    11 years ago

Good for you eeds. I have a Dacor Epicure downdraft and like it very much...we were delivered a faulty unit. Our retailer was dragging a bit on resolution, but a quick call to Dacor Customer Service with follow up email and photos and they replaced it immediately, so no complaints here in terms of Dacor C/S, they were responsive and attentive.

• Redhawk1
    11 years ago

I am also considering a Dacor. I originally thought (knew!) I'd get a wolf, but after comparing the size of the ovens, (I'm considering a 48" dual fuel model), there was such a huge difference, I really fell in love with the larger ovens. I also like the 3 year warranty. Plus since I love to do a lot of canning, the larger stovetop with 6 burners will be perfect. Our new home is just now in the framing phase, so I'd be very interested to know if you do get a Dacor, and how it is doing!

• ppbenn
    11 years ago

eeds
    Have you had your Dacor range installed?
    I found the same unit as a leftover and cant beat the price so would like it hear a recent evaluation before I commit.

• eeds
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We've had the range for about 2 weeks now - not the greatest picture and we haven't peeled the protective film off yet (backsplash is being installed this week). So far I love the range, the high-low burners are great. Love the look and I love that the knobs are blue when they are on. I've used the griddle pan a few times, still figuring out how to cook optimally on that - I think one key is to give it time to get good and hot. I love that the grates are continuous so you can use the entire stovetop as one cooking surface and move pans easily on and off the heat, rest items off the oven. And I love having 6 burners! (We are coming off a year cooking on an electric cooktop...)

Oven performance seems excellent, I can fit two baking sheets on one rack (long direction heading inwards), and was able to roast tomatoes on one level and bake and apple tart on the other.

So, so far I have no disappointments and am very happy I picked it. Will check back in and post more pics when the entire kitchen is finished, and after a few months of cooking and baking.

• eeds
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is the photo of the range installed

• maire_cate
    11 years ago

It's beautiful - I don't know if this will happen but do you think it might be possible that the heat from using the burners might make the blue film hard to remove?

For what it's worth we've had a Dacor Epicure cooktop for 6 years and Discovery double wall ovens for 5 years and we're happy with them. Dacor replaced our original wall ovens due to excessive condensation between the glass.

• firstmmo
    11 years ago

Today I looked at 48" Dacor and loved the look....how's the cooking going on it now that you've had it a few months?