Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
micmonday

Heated Dry Dishwasher

micmonday
9 years ago

I love my Maytag dishwasher , appox 6 yrs old. I am trying to replace with SS model but running into problems. The model that has replaced my dishwasher has no vent.
Last week salesman told me stainless tub with Heated Dry option no longer available. He said something about new US energy use guidelines, and heated dry option is not going to be available anymore. I clean homes for living and have seen so many dishwashers, high end with the controls hidden, the steam and heat seems to get get stuck under edge of counter and creates condensation that then drips down the front of their very expensive stainless dishwasher, and eventually I cannot get these water lines off. So I am also looking for front controls, food disposer and heated dry. Anyone know if I can still get one? Picture of my dishwasher , look how big vent is, love it!

Comments (6)

• weissman
    9 years ago

KitchenAid still makes dishwashers with heated dry and stainless steel tubs. But unlike in the past, not all of their models have heated dry.

• dodge59
    9 years ago

Why do you want an SS model. I had a KA ss, and it was really a PITA to keep water spots off it, as you already know.

We've had a paneled Miele for 8 years now, and if I have cleaned the wood front even once in the eight years, I sure can't recall when that was!

Gary

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

KA still offers heated dry, and it works! I bought this one a couple months ago, and love it!!
    Cleans and dries, what a novel idea!
    KDTE404DSP

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Good choice! Maytag is in my opinion, the best pick for an American dishwasher today. Yes, they are made by Whirlpool, which sells the dishwashers under countless other brands, including KitchenAid, but the Maytag brand is different. Instead of switching to the new "resource saver" wash system with a super-wimpy pump, they kept the old wash system that was used under all their brands, including KitchenAid. Unfortunately it's been discontinued under all those brands. Maytag is the only brand out of all of them that uses a grinder instead of a filter if that's important to you, and has the most powerful motor you can get on a dishwasher now (with the exception of the Miele Profiline).

Sounds like your salesman is mixed up with another brand. All you have to do is go on Maytag's website and zoom in on the pictures of the dishwasher control panels and you'll see that all their current dishwashers have heated dry as well as stainless tubs. I do think that they go quite a bit overboard on their website marketing the "dependability" of these dishwashers and likening them to "vintage Maytags." In reality, these are pretty much the same as the previous KitchenAids and Whirlpools. Those were quite good dishwashers, but nowhere near a vintage Maytag. It's clear all they're doing there is marketing to their "Maytag" demographic.

Gary: there are plenty of reasons why one might want to buy a stainless steel dishwasher. Maybe they just like the look, or want to match their other appliances. Yes as you state there are many advantages to going custom paneled but the DWs that will accept those custom panels are pricy! Plus, if you're going custom paneled you really should go with a European dishwasher as you did so that the paneling will be flush with your cabinetry - that drives up the price even more!

• tjmwine
    9 years ago

Your salesman is blowing smoke. I have not heard any of my vendor reps say anything like that. Check link out to Maytag site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Maytag stainless steel dishwasher compare

• moebus
    9 years ago

Have your exact Maytag model and used it for 10 yrs. It got relegated to the summer cottage when our High end panelled Bosch arrived 2years ago. Don't know what you've been looking at but the Maytag is getting the boot as there is just no comparison even for 3months a year. Heated drying Is the pits as far as we are concerned.