Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisabellavita_gw

Cleaning your Capital or Blue Star Rangetops?

LisaBellaVita
10 years ago

I already know how most of you feel about cooking on the CC and BlueStar open burner rangetops, but please share how you approach keeping these beauties looking good! Just looking for feedback on the rangetop and grill since I will be getting double electric wall ovens (self-cleaning). I use my appliances and I'm not looking for pristine showroom clean, just enough ease in cleaning methods so it's not arduous and looks like I care!

I have used a Viking open burner rangetop for 9 years that I adore! But alas, I'm building a new house and I can't take it with me. So I am trying to source a similar open burner rangetop that not only cooks as well as or better than my Viking but is NOT a pain to clean. I had a Thermador open rangetop prior (purchased 20 years ago) that had heavy double cast iron grates and stainless (ha!) steel grill that never looked good. It was a chore to carry them outside to the driveway and spray down with oven cleaner--Ughh!. I didn't do this very often, as you can imagine, especially in winter. With the Viking, on an everyday basis I just wipe it down with soap and water and shine up the porcelain and stainless trim with windex. The cast iron grates don't always look perfect, but that's okay with me. And the porcelain drip pains have stains that never come off, but they are hidden fairly well under the grates. I use a brass brush dipped in water to clean the grill while it's still hot after cooking. I love that everything just falls through to the drip drawer below, which I've lined with foil--easy to replace the foil every once in a while and no cleaning required. For more thorough periodic cleaning, the top breaks down easily for soaking parts in Simple Green and hot water. The individual cast iron grates are a manageable size and weight to clean in the sink.

Also, can I use the same grill brush/steam method on the infared grill as I use now? I've never used an infared grill.

Comments (19)

• gtadross_gw
    10 years ago

I have the 36" bluestar six burner RNB and cleaning it is a snap. I don't really do much to it. I merely wipe down the stainless steel rail above the knobs. Food etc just falls through the open burner onto the drip tray below. I don't even line mine with foil as the bluestar's drip tray is segmented into 3 pieces that you take to the sink to rinse off.

As to the burners themselves, the most I've ever done with them is to wipe them down with the rough side of a sponge. But that's only when there's been a spillover or a caked on stain. For day to day cooks, I don't even wipe it down at all. The grease just builds up a shiny patina on the cast iron grates, sort of like a cast iron pan.

I used to have a plain old sealed burner GE something or other that was the biggest pain in the butt to clean. I'd have to take the grates off, scrub the porcelain top with comet (which created scratches that would make things even dirtier in the lonr run), then wipe up with several paper towels. That was every night.

Now I barely do anything and the bluestar, bc of its black cast iron top that conceals stains, looks nice and shiny and clean.

I can't speak to the grill bc mine doesn't have one nor can I speak to the CC.

• sreedesq
    10 years ago

I don't want to hijack your post, but I was getting ready to post the exact same question about the Bluestar cooktop. I am sold - he is not b/c of cleaning worries. Is the cooktop just as easy to clean? Thanks again for your post!

• eurekachef
    10 years ago

I have a Bluestar rangetop. I line the driptrays with aluminum foil. Change them about every 6 m. I put the grates into the oven and run on the clean cycle about every 6 m too. Other than that I just wipe them clean with a paper towel as needed. If I get a big spill or mess, then I'll wash with soap and water in the sink.

• LisaBellaVita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your responses! Can't wait to see both range tops in person next week.

EurekaChef, I never thought of putting the grates in the oven on the clean cycle. Does it burn off the "seasoning" or make it better? My Viking grates have developed a nice smooth back patina just like Gtadross said. They have become easier to clean over time just like a cast iron pan.

• Peke
    10 years ago

I have never had a reason to put the grates in the oven. They are very easy to clean. First, anything spilled gets burned off while cooking usually. Second, I just wipe with a damp cloth. No cleaner. Trays are easy too.

• cookncarpenter
    10 years ago

This is the easiest stove I've ever had to clean! Granted, my range is only four months old, but it has been well used in that time. I just wipe down with a damp cloth, or sponge. A basting brush works well to clean crumbs around grates and burners where they just drop into the trays below. Can't speak for the grill, as I have the griddle, which is also very easy to keep clean!

• philwojo99
    10 years ago

I have had my BS rangetop for about 6 months now and for day to day cleaning I just wipe it with a wet rag or sponge, very easy to keep clean. Way easier than my old sealed burner I had before this. I wish that it would have always been this easy for clean up in the past. I don't ever want to go back from this now.

Phil

• eurekachef
    10 years ago

LisaBellaVita,

After going in the oven cleaning cycle, a lot of the caked on stuff comes off. There is still a patina, but not as pronounced.

• gtadross_gw
    10 years ago

Here's how I know the bluestar is easy to keep clean:

A friend of ours that we havent seen in a long time just came over for dinner and saw the stove and said "how do you keep it so clean?!" Mind you, she's a neat freak too.

I had just finished whipping up dinner for our friends, using all 6 burners at one point. I didn't have time to wipe or sponge down the burners even. All I did was take some 409 to the stainless steel rail above the knobs.

• philwojo99
    10 years ago

What are your issues with the drip pan for the BS Ashik? I don't think there are any issues with it that I have run across, though maybe you have experienced something I haven't. If you can expand on your problems it might help everyone who has to make this decision as well.

Phil

• hilltop1155
    10 years ago

I have the 36" BlueStar rangetop with six burners. Just did a review of it. I do what the previous poster said, just wipe off the stainless rails and any obvious spills with a sponge. I think I read that you can put the cast iron parts in the dishwasher (without the dry cycle). I haven't tried it yet so if anyone knows that you can't please let me know.

I don't understand Ashik's problem with the drip tray. There are three individual insert trays that cover the entire area of the main pull-out tray. You can cover those with foil. I'm not sure how you would remove the entire tray if you wanted to clean that, but I'm not sure why you would want to do that either (in case that's the issue).

I haven't disassembled the top pieces to deep clean yet, but we've had the rangetop in place for a while now and it always looks presentable without deep cleaning. I like mine very well.

• gtadross_gw
    10 years ago

I think, but am not sure, that Ashik is referring to the bluestar cooktop and not the rangetop. They are quite different. The rangetop is exactly what sits atop the full bluestar range. The cooktop, however, is totally different. It has knobs that are adjacent to the burners themselves instead of underneath like the rangetop. Also the rangetop doesn't gave the same removable cast-iron grates so you can't wok on it like you would the rangetop. I'm not sure what the configuration the cooktop has with respect to the drip tray, so I'm not able to opine what ashik's issue is with it. But on my full bluestar range, the drip tray works beautifully.

• ashik
    10 years ago

Yes - COOKTOP is different from rangetop and it is IMPOSSIBLE to clean!

• litebags
    10 years ago

I have 36" 6 burner cooktop. KNOBS are on the FRont and a band of stainless steel is on the top running horizontally above the knobs.
    Whole thing is an EZ clean. The bowls, the grates etc are taken out once in 6 months to clean thoroughly. Otherwise we just wipe down and remove spills that way. Try is cleaned once in 6 months and yes, we do use alum foil to line it. Have to careful laying it in and sliding back the drip tray though due to lead wires etc to the ignition on the burners
    3 years and counting and love it

• Peke
    9 years ago

My rangetop is easy too. I have to "dust" my grates too. I wind up with crumbs or salt on them.

At restaurants they have gas griddles and they use ice to clean them when they are hot. Unbelievably fast. Just scrape. BUT....I don't know what your griddles are made of so try it at your own risk. Maybe BS can tell you if ice and scraping are safe.

Does anyone wipe the cast iron parts with oil or shortening to season them every once in a while like a cast iron pan?

• litebags
    9 years ago

@Peke... Yes especially initially we rubbed oil on all the cast iron areas. Over time, far less necessary as spills with clean up have seasoned the surfaces nicely
    Yes after a twice yearly thorough dismantle and cleaning we still take a paper towel saturated in oil and go over the surfaces

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

I use my griddle at least once a day, and often two or three times....no need to oil my grates and bowls ...they are constantly being seasoned ;) ...love my Bluestar!

• tinyhomebuilder
    9 years ago

Same here... with all the frying we do! (lol)

We just use a scrubbie to knock off the chunks and spread the oil around. Black seasoned cast iron is the ~perfect~ cooking surface to keep looking nice without a lot of fuss.

This post was edited by tinyhomebuilder on Sat, May 3, 14 at 17:06