Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Easy Cleaning Gas Ranges, do they exist?

Posted by mwkbear (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 15:00

Hi,

I'm just beginning the planning of a major kitchen renovation. One issue I'm having is that we have an older gas range (vintage 1998, I think) that is impossible to clean properly. I need to put the grates, the drip pans and the little porcelain burner covers in the sink and cover them with oven cleaner, then scrub with a steel wool pad, just to make them look somewhat presentable. I end up doing this every other week and still it looks dirty.

I wanted to switch to an electric smooth top range, but my kitchen designer assures me that new gas ranges with black grates and stainless sealed burners, can be cleaned easily and kept looking nice. Is this true? I'd be saving money not having to convert and update my electric service to handle a stove. Any advice on features to look for? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Easy Cleaning Gas Ranges, do they exist?

We have a self-cleaning Electrolux all gas slide-in range in our lower level kitchen. I have been cooking on it daily for the past six months while our main kitchen is being renovated. It has a stainless top with black iron grates, and is super easy to keep clean. The burners have decent power and I love the gas oven. It bakes beautifully. We had a Thermador stainless gas cooktop in our main kitchen for 21 years. The burner grates and caps were bright black porcelain, and it was a bear to keep them looking clean and shiny.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here