Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomalyse

GE profile french door refrigerator

tomalyse
16 years ago

We are looking for the best quality counter-depth french door refrigerator (not built-in) for our small kitchen remodel. I like the layout of the GE profile freezer - it seems more roomy than other counter-depth refrigerators, but haven't found much info on the reliability of GE refrigerators v. other brands. Any advice?

Comments (14)

• julescap
    16 years ago

I don't have the French door, but I have the one door bottom freezer and it's the same set up as the French door. 2 things that I don't like at all about the freezer: the design of the sliding drawers has a small section of ea top drawer that hangs down into the one below it. That causes it to catch on items in the drawer below...kind of a pain, also, we have had a hard time keeping the freezer temp where it should be as soon as the weather gets hot and humid...as summers in CT are. We are looking for a french doon freezer right noe
    w and I won't buy a GE Profile again,

• drkona
    16 years ago

I have the new GE FD CD frig w/ water in door...but it is in the garage to be installed later this month. Looks great. Keep ya posted.
    DRK

• ready2remodel
    16 years ago

We're right there with drkona, although we're a bit closer (our same new GE FD CD is inside our house in the DR). I'd like to add that we have opened our fridge and are very happy with the features we had anticipated (we ordered the fridge before the exact same model was released from the factory. However, we were able to see some similar features on other GE fridges). I have not noticed the problem noted by julescap above (you should check out the new model at a retailer to see if it is a problem for you or if GE resolved the problem altogether).

Here's what we like about our fridge: No ice in door (less loss of room for something we won't use often), small icemaker takes up little room in freezer, water in door (something we WILL use often - luckily our children are old enough to be responsible so the shallow "water reservoir" for spills shouldn't be an issue. I'd be concerned about that for consumers with young children), 3 easily accessible shelves (at least if you don't mind the bending down for all bottom freezers), and the shelves on the fridge have some nice features (e.g., large, closed bottom sliding drawer; flip up top shelf to allow for the shelf below to hold tall items). On the negative side, I think this fridge (and probably many other SS models) will show fingerprints. Again, our 2 (and not more) children being older will hopefully limit that problem).

Our old fridge died just before the new fridge came so we are living out of a 4.0 cubic ft. fridge we bought as an emergency. Can't wait to have our kitchen done so we can start using our new GE. Our cabinets start going in today, so it won't be long now. I'll check back in when I have "user data." Good luck.

• tomalyse
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Any updates on how you like your GE counter-depth FD - are they in yet?

• skioval
    16 years ago

I have been using my French Door GE profile PFCS1NJWSS for a few weeks now. I am very happy with it. I love the way it looks and it is very quiet.

• hopesprings_gw
    16 years ago

We just had the exact fridge delivered that skioval shows in her pic above. (Thanks, skioval...your pic was my final deciding factor.) This is after having not one, but two new Bosch sxs fridges, neither of which could keep food cold in the fridge, although the freezer kept ice...go figure. We've been using our old fridge in the garage since June 15! (Don't buy a Bosch fridge...they haven't figured them out!) Anyway, this fridge seems great. I have my fingers crossed.

• ready2remodel
    16 years ago

Sorry, Tomalyse, but our fridge remains unplugged in the dining room. Looks like our floor will go in this week and then the fridge will follow. How much time should I wait before sharing our reactions/experiences?

• tomalyse
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ready2remodel - just finished our kitchen designs - still have not purchased refrigerator. How do you like the GE?

• john_com
    16 years ago

We have a 33" GE FD Profile.

My only gripe is the icemaker.

You have to open the ice drawer very slowly otherwise it will throw ice into the bottom of the freezer compartment.

After 3 months now I think we have been retrained.

• tomalyse
    Original Author
    16 years ago

john.com - love your kitchen! We are also planning on cherry shaker style cabinets. Where did you get your door handles? Thanks for teh feedback on the GE profile.

• john_com
    16 years ago

Tnx tomalyse.

We bought them locally at HomeValu. The brand name is Richelieu.

Pull # bp62196183
    Knob # bp16930183

{{gwi:1426415}}

Have fun!

Here is a link that might be useful: Richelieu

• bikefan
    16 years ago

Just checking in to see if those of you who have gotten the GE Profile French Door refrigerator are happy with your choice now that it is several months down the road.

We are looking to buy a French Door counter-depth refrigerator in the next few months and the GE Profile is a lead contender. Does anyone have the unit with the two separate freezer drawers -- if so, how is that working out for you? We haven't decided on which style freezer bottom we'd like.

Any maintenance issues so far?

Thanks for your help and advice.

• hopesprings_gw
    15 years ago

Late follow-up to bikefan's question: We have been using our GE now for 8 months, and we really love it. And we have figured out which door to open for what...most times the two doors are open only by guests or when storing large items. No problems, one small design flaw IMO: the catch tray for the water dispenser on the door is too small. When used a lot (weekends), it tends to build up and drip down the front over time.

• jfhere
    15 years ago

We have the GE Profile french door in stainless steel and would like to know if anyone has had problems with the top doors becoming wavy. We bought ours in Oct. 07 and in Jan. 08 they had to replace the doors because they were wavy. Now the new doors are the same way. The GE repairman just left and gave us a case number and phone number to call if we go look at a black frig to see if we would like to use black doors. I can't believe this is an isolated case, since the new doors did the same as the original doors.
    Other than the wavy doors, we love the frig.