Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seaglass7_gw

Wolf 6 burner rangetop-install question

seaglass7
15 years ago

Can this rangetop be installed at normal counter depth? I've noticed that many in the FKB have installed this rangetop bumped out from the rear wall by what looks to be about 3 inches. Is this recommended, or just a decorative touch?

We'll be installing one in a few months and I'm working on cabs right now. Thanks!

Comments (14)

• capecodcook
    15 years ago

Download the Wolf design guide-it has all the dimensions. The base is 24" deep, but the bullnose on the front adds another 3". Ours is not bumped out, mounts directly against the rear wall, but the front protrudes becasue of the bullnose.

• breezy_2
    15 years ago

The bump out is not necessary but adds tremendous functionality to the back burners. Our Wolf 36/6 AG range was set at counter depth. In our new house, we used the 3 inch bump out and it is great. I highly recommend it if you can.

• capecodcook
    15 years ago

Breezy: how does bumping out the range add to the functionality of the back burners?

• breezy_2
    15 years ago

capecodcook,

I can center much larger pots and pans on the back burners with less crowding against the back splash. On another note, it makes for a nice little shelf of spices, oils, decorations etc.

Anyway, having had with and without, I much prefer the space.

• breezy_2
    15 years ago

seaglass,

Wolf used to have a marketing flyer with the bump out and decorative posts on either side. I think it was a range but could have been a range top. The example picture is no longer in their materials but is where I first got the idea.

We did exactly that. Decorative posts on either sde of the range and the granite flairs out over the posts to meet the range. On either side of the posts are the vertical pull out spice drawers. They are full height/length of a base cabinet door but only 6 inches wide with spice racks built into them and slide out like a drawer. These are pretty common fair these days. Anyway, this keeps everything at your fingertips.

• seaglass7
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Breezy,

Do you know how large a pot you can center on the back burner without the extra bumpout? My dealer is pretty far away and I've tried to estimate it from the specs on the website, but it's tough to get an accurate measurement from those tiny pictures!

DH thinks I'm crazy worrying about these details, but I'm getting ready to order cabs, and if I need the bumpout, I have to either narrow the island or move it a few inches, which will throw off the symmetry of the kitchen. Not to mention ordering the decorative posts and all. As an aside, I love the look of the range being bumped out, but I have one of those small kitchens (about to become a little larger) where every inch of space becomes a tradeoff with something else.

Thank you so much!!!
    Seaglass

• breezy_2
    15 years ago

It depends on the pot/pan. Stock pots and the like not much since they are pretty straight sided once you get above the roll from bottom to sides. Pans/saute's and pots that flare as they go up, a good bit. For example, I have a lot of All Clad pans and saute's that clear the island trim as they flare out from the bottom and center pretty well on the back burners and did not with my other configuration.

Also, you will hear a lot about condensation fromt the oven vent whether you use island trim or one of the riser trim/vents, especially with a SS backsplash. Although we have a tile backsplash this time which probably helps reduce this, Ihave no residual condensation from the vent during oven preheat with the bump out. I did have a SS backsplash behind my last range that did not have a bump out and the condensation was very noticeable. However, this presents more of a cleaning nuisance than anything else b/c the condensation leaves dried water marks on the backsplash (especially SS).

Anyway, its not a must but it is very handy and I really like mine. If you do it, make sure you bump out the vent hood accordingly which is not hard either. In my case, we were using a custom hood and hood liner so it was simply a matter of designing the hood enclosure to match the depth of the range with the bump out.

• breezy_2
    15 years ago

Sorry, I did not read your question accurately but my response kind of gets there. As mentioned, not much gain for stock pots but one of my biggest All Clad (dutch oven, cassoulet, sauteuse) all with a lot of flare center pretty well.

In experimenting just now, it seems that the island trim helps more than anything. With one of the riser vents (my last had the 21 inch riser vent/trim), the front the vent is right at the burner back and I lost 1-1/2 inches of centering ability. Trying my large saute pan, the pan cleared the island trim giving the most extra room (the depth/thickness of the island trim). Using a gauge to simulate no bump out, I gained only about another 1/2-1 inch depending on the pot/pan. Keep in mind that a bump out would not wrk with anyting but the island trim. That said, I still like the functionality and look of the bump out.

I will try to post a pic soon.

• capecodcook
    15 years ago

With our non-bumped out rangetop, you could put a 14.5" diameter pan on the rear burner and just touch the backsplash. That big a pan would also cover a small bit of the back of the front burner grate! Our largest 12 quart stock pot fits on the rear burner with plenty of room to spare. Our largest satue pans are 11.5" in diameter at the top and they fit too with about an inch of clearance although they rarely find themselves on the back burners.
    And since you are talking about a rangetop, you don't have condensation issues to contend with.

• seaglass7
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the followups, breezy and capecodcook. Based on capecodcook's measurements, I can do what I need to do with the standard installation (no bumpout). And I was wondering about the island trim-one appliance store said I needed it, the other said not. So now it's clear that I'll use that too---thanks breezy!

We'll have a tile backsplash (and yes, it's a rangetop rather than range---I'm also getting those gorgeous double wolf wall ovens---I can't wait!).

And I just have to say, capecodcook, your user name brings back fond memories of lobster boils when I worked in Boston right out of college (more than a few years ago!).

Thanks you both for helping to get one more thing off my ever growing list of things to agonize over. Have a great weekend!

• capecodcook
    15 years ago

Well, we have been on the Cape more than a few years ouselves. You will love your rangetop I think-we certainly have a lot of fun with ours. Just keep the aluminum foil off the floors of those new ovens!

• breezy_2
    15 years ago

OUCH! but I agree READ YOUR MANUAL!

• ViewPark
    10 years ago

Hey Good People, I have a question regarding the Wolf 48" rangetop. The kitchen designer told me that there needs to be a 1/16" gap between the edge of the rangetop and the countertop stone.
    To me that just leave a little tiny gap for dirt and grease to get into. How does one clean that little gap? Or is there a piece of thin silicone that can fill the gap? Something that can be cleaned or removed and replaced...

Anyone know what I am talking about or have heard of such a 'filler' to keep dirt and grease out of the crack between the the rangetop and the counter?

Thanks for you help!