Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quiet and reliable HE washer/dryer sets?

Posted by jaxo (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 22, 13 at 14:37

I'm trying to reduce appliance noise in the house. I now have a LG washer/dryer set on pedestals and I'm getting tired of the noise. I have heard that removing the pedestals and putting them directly on the floor can reduce vibration and noise. However, it will be annoying to stoop down that low to load and unload clothes.
I'm thinking of selling the set and switching to a HE top loader such as a Whirlpool Cabrio.
I looked at a Cabrio Platinum set in a store and it would be pretty easy to load. Even the dryer didn't seem as low as dryers that come with front loading sets that aren't on pedestals. The height of the tops is great for folding clothes. It's awkward to reach up to fold clothes on my current set because the top surface is so high.
I liked a feature the Cabio has that allows you to put a load of clothes in the washer and have them wash and then air dry over several hours without moving them to the dryer, but it seems of limited value because the timing of it doesn't seem to work for putting clothes in the washer before leaving for work and coming back home to clean and dry clothes and it doesn't even work well for putting clothes in before bed and having the ready when you get up in the morning. I think the wash/dry cycle time is about 6 hours and if the clothes are not removed immediately, you will deal with deep set wrinkling.

I also looked at consumer reviews and it looks like they are not reliable:
http://reviews.cnet.com/washers/whirlpool-cabrio-wtw5500xw-washing/4852-17904_7-34201699.html

Are there any quiet and reliable HE washer/dryer sets?
If the top loading HE models don't work as well as front loading washers, then I could go to another front loading set as long as the new set can be quiet even when mounted to pedestals.
I would like very large capacity so I can wash and dry Queen comforters without needing to take them to a laundry.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quiet and reliable HE washer/dryer sets?

I have a whirlpool front loader (Duet, I believe) and it is direct driven...no belts. It is sitting on a pedestal, sitting on laminate flooring on the 1st floor of my house in the laundry room just off the kitchen. The secret of its quietness is the direct drive part and Whirlpool machines are now made in the U.S.A. Before this, I had a Whirlpool front loader that was belt driven and made in Mexico. It sounded like a jet plane taking off when it was spinning and it was on the same pedestal.. My DSS has an LG front load washer, sitting on a wood floor and his is direct driven and not noisy at all either.

o

Most brands of FLs make very little noise. It's unusual that yours is. You should check to see if the shipping bolts are in the machines. If those are in, that's the source of the noise, and has probably ruined them.

o

Shipping bolts are not in them and this LG has been used for more than 5 years and is already direct drive and quieter than the washer dryer set I had before it, but now I'm looking for the quietest models available.
If a new model is only a little bit quieter than what I have now, then it won't be worth the expense to replace them early.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here