Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathleen42

Surface-mount copper apron sink

Kathleen42
9 years ago

This is my first inquiry as I haven't found my challenge addressed here yet. I purchased from a private party a gorgeous copper apron sink without an installation template. VanDyke's of South Dakota, the source of the sink, denied my request for a template.

The sink is either under-or over-mount, 9" deep with a 2" hammered rim and an apron that's 7" from front to back. I want to mount it on the surface for two reasons: 1) to expose the lovely hammered rim and 2) use the thickness of the countertop in my favor as I'm 6' tall.

The challenge: I don't want the sink to sit 7" proud. I've never seen pictures of apron sinks extended this far into the kitchen and have learned from GW that aprons should be no more than 2.5" proud. I also can't imagine giving up 7" of countertop for an obstacle.

I'm obviously missing something here. Why would the manufacturer create a 7" proud apron if it's not to be exposed? Is it designed to be put on a wider cabinet with the apron depth part of the sink flush-mounted against the countertop (and the back part of the sink top-mounted) leaving a 7" deep gap on each side between the sink and adjoining cabinets?

I thought about having 5" cut off the apron on each side. My architect is concerned that the cut edges might look different from the rest of the rim. What trade would I engage to cut the apron?

I've also learned on GW about flush-mounted sinks. I suppose I could cover the apron sides (and lovely copper) with a flush-mounted countertop on that part of the sink. .

I'm so baffled by this apron size. Are there other options for top-mounting a copper sink with a 7" apron? Any advice on this will be greatly appreciated.

. .

Comments (5)