Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Glass top range or gas range?

Posted by shanny75 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 28, 08 at 14:05

Hi all,

I have a gas cooktop...preremodel.

I will need to relocate my gas line for my new kitchen design....1200 bucks!

My question is should I forego the gas line/gas range and install a glass top range? I know that I need 220 power, which is no problem. I am leaning toward the clean look of a glass cooktop, but worried about the actual cooking ...never had one! I also have SS cookware, which I believe is what is needed to work.

Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Glass top range or gas range?

I love my glass cooktop! I was so tired of cleaning a gas stove cooktop. I find no difference in cooking. I have my Revereware pots and pans from 1976 and they work just fine. I don't do any grilling or use a griddle so having the burners is fine. I have a Maytag and am replacing with a new Kenmore Elite slide in for a remodel. Good luck on your decision.

o

We had to make the same decision about a year ago, and got a gas range for two reasons. First, we worried that the glass top gets scratched. It depends on how you cook. Some recipes call for shaking the skillet back and forth while you saute the mushrooms, for example. We didn't want to worry about scratched glass. The modern gas ranges with sealed burners are very easy to clean. Second, we sometimes get power failures here in North Carolina during winter storms, and we wanted to be able to use the cooktop when that happens. We got a Bosch gas range, one notch below the top of the line, and we're very pleased. By the way, broiling with gas is much better than with electric. Everybody says that, even people who are wedded to electric.

o

I have a glass top Jennaire. Go with the gas! The glass tops are difficult to keep clean. When the burners are off and you want to bring something up to heat slowly you have no idea exactly where the burners are and have to shift pots around. I have cooked on electric stoves, gas and glass top. Glass top is my third choice (it came with the house).

o

I hate the glass top range we have now. It is a pain to keep clean and it is hard to get the temp you want. I can only get low and high heat. Can't do in between. We are having propane installed so I can actually cook again in our new kitchen. I am so done with electric cooktops. Stick with gas.

o

Have you looked induction cooktops? If I wasn't able to get gas, then induction would be the only electric option I would consider. Induction has many advantages, including speed, control, and the to does not get dangerously hot like conventional electric.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here