Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gas Valve Outlet Box

Posted by Takkone (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 15, 12 at 13:53

I'm looking for something like shown below for a gas range, to get the shut-off valve recessed. Problem is my supply line is big 1" inner diameter yellow gas pipe, and this box only accepts 1/2" iron, 3/4" iron, or 1/2" CSST. Any ideas? Can I just make something custom out of wood?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gas Valve Outlet Box

If the box comes without the other bits, why not just use a drill to enlarge the hole?

o

In our area the gas valve must be accessible without having to remove the range. You can use this box and bush the main line down to the size needed for the range. I have seen this box
installed in a cabinet near the range with an additional pipe leaving the box going to the range all hidden in the wall.
Our codes specify the shutoff must be accessible. NY code.

o

Interesting. I just spoke to the utility company this morning. I'm in NY state. They told me even having to move the stove is still considered "accessible".

o

The utility company is not the inspector.

o

I couldn't find anywhere in the code where "access" is defined:

G2420.5 (409.5) Equipment shutoff valve. Each appliance shall be provided with a shutoff valve separate from the appliance. The shutoff valve shall be located in the same room as the appliance, not further than 6 feet (1829 mm) from the appliance, and shall be installed upstream from the union, connector or quick disconnect device it serves. Such shutoff valves shall be provided with access.

o

Guys and gals, let's not argue a point that clearly can only be determined by the AHJ.

Takkone - the safest way to go is ask your inspector. He can answer your questions about what boxes and what location are suitable.

o

It is a service valve, not an emergency valve.

The code will define what "access" means, often in the very front opening few chapters/sections.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here