Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gabbygannon

Best Rangetop to use with DownDraft System

gabbygannon
11 years ago

Hello Again Gardenwebbers,

You were all so helpful with my oven dilema, that I am now hoping you can help with our rangetop decision. We are looking to purchase a rangetop and I was wondering what brand you all would recommend? It needs to be a rangetop that comes with a compatible downdraft system as our kitchen does not have a ventilation hood (dont know why this is--but it really limits us). I have looked at the Wolf 36 inch sealed burner rangetop, and the thermador. DO any of you have other suggestions? I'm not sure if Bosch or GE make a rangetop that can be used with a downdraft system. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am looking primarily for reliability and more cooking surface. We currently have an old viking cooktop-5-burner with the viking downdraft. It's fine, but i would love to have more room for multiple pots and pans. In addition, my viking is finicky--burners dont ignite (have to use a match half the time), sometimes the clicking sound doesnt turn off, etc....

I look forward to hearing your suggestions on a great 36 inch rangetop.

Comments (6)

• live_wire_oak
    11 years ago

There isn't a rangetop that is compatible with a downdraft system. If you want to upgrade what you have, then have a HVAC person come out and see what it will take to run ventilation ductwork from an overhead vent.

Otherwise, simply replace your cooktop.

• kitchenkat
    11 years ago

I second Live Wire Oak's comment. There isn't a downdraft on the market that will perform anywhere near as well as an overhead range hood. I installed a Broan Elite canopy hood over an island mounted BlueStar cooktop and ran the ducting between the floor joists that separate the first and second floors. Not the easiest job but; well worth it for the improvement in ventilation compared to the basic gas cooktop with downdraft that I had before.

• MichelleDT
    11 years ago

I have a Dacor downdraft with 800 CFM fan with remote blower (oversold by the appliance dealer) and it is TERRIBLE. I can't wait for our new home and a real ventilation system. We are using it (or really not using it as there is no point in turning it on) with a GE Monogram Pro rangetop. I would never do another downdraft system...and certainly never with a pro style rangetop.

• jadeite
    11 years ago

The gas cooktop and downdraft we just took out were both GE Monogram. They both performed poorly, but the downdraft was so bad as to be useless. Even with induction, I would not use another downdraft.

Venting is turning out to be a major headache, as we have to make holes in the wall, install ductwork through wood blocks above the cabinets and make a hole in the new roof. But we are biting the bullet and getting it done.

Cheryl

• sub-zero_wolf
    11 years ago

Dear LiliaRothchild,

We thought we could be of some assistance. As stated by others on this thread, overhead ventilation will always work better than a downdraft system. That being said, there are two models of Sealed Burner Rangetops that Wolf has approved for use with our downdrafts, the 30" wide SRT304 and the 36" wide SRT366. These are both all-burner models.

Also remember to purchase the required accessory piece, part 810215. This is a transition piece that fits between the SRT and downdraft unit.

If you have any further questions or concerns regarding this or any other issue, please contact us directly. You can contact us via phone Mon-Fri. 8:00-5:00 CST at 800-222-7820. We can also be reached via email at CustomerService@SubZero.com.

Thank you,

Customer Care Team
    Sub-Zero/Wolf Appliances

Here is a link that might be useful: SRT366 Quick Reference