Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alermar_gw

Gutmann hood -- anyone heard of this company?

alermar
9 years ago

I saw this hood and it's the first one that I really like, but I don't know the company, and can't find a US distributor

To recap, our style is modern, kitchen is L-shaped with a VERY long island that will house a 36 Wolf induction cooktop and a prep area/sink (yes, I know the downside of having cooktop on island). I don't want the hood to be a focal point or block the water view from the island. We got an amazing deal on floor model appliances, so I am willing to pay a little more for something sleek and minimalist, but I don't want to sacrifice too much function (I cook almost every day, although I don't fry). I know I can't have form, function, AND low price ;)

So . . . would something like this work for me? Have you heard of Gutmann? Have you seen something similar? Is it possible to buy it in Europe and install here? (DH's business brings containers of merchandise from Europe, so I could ship it inexpensively). What do you think?

As always, I appreciate all opinions -- the good, the bad, and the ugly :)

This post was edited by alermar on Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 13:41

Comments (5)

• kaseki
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

When cooking at a low temperature, the plume velocity will be low, and this hood may provide sufficient capture to meet whatever standard you deem to be adequate, but probably not what I deem to be adequate. However, low velocity plumes are particularly susceptible to cross drafts -- common with island configurations -- and much of the plume may escape capture.

Hotter temperature cooking will cause higher plume velocities that will not be deviated much as they rise and expand, and when they hit all that glass much of their content will reflect away from the duct grill into the kitchen. As a result, this hood (if it actually should be called a hood) will become a fancy air changing vent, but not a very good one, because the escaped effluent will end up near the ceiling where there is no register to remove it. The effluent will have to cool and spread out through the room for the replacement air to slowly dilute it.

The most efficient capture and containment device is a properly sized commercial hood with a properly sized blower and make-up air system. Everything that is built for residential use either tries to emulate important characteristics of such hoods within limitations of cost and appearance, or strives for style with performance as a secondary or tertiary characteristic. The style hoods are fine for poser kitchens, but if cooking is intended, and grease collection desired, then a relatively conventional hood is necessary.

kas

• alermar
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for your honest opinion. Not knowing much about how these things work, I thought that the two "tube thingys" would satisfy function and style. I appreciate the detailed explanation.

• kaseki
    9 years ago

Please take some time for this important issue to review some of the many many hood threads on this forum. For more technical background information, the references I mention in the contents of My Clippings may suffice.

Only you can determine the best trade for you among performance, cost, and aesthetics, as well as your best value of effort point in the range between extended research and "just get it over with" selection. I have empathy for both extremes.

kas

• robert_sett
    9 years ago

(previous message didn't post for some reason, so if this shows up as a duplicate, I apologize).

1.) As always, kaseki is 100% right on the money when it comes to ventilation. Tubular hoods, while offering a sleek look, are not the best choice for ventilating a kitchen you're actually going to cook in. Regardless of the power of the blower (CFM) - if the capture area is too small, the hood physically won't be able to capture all of the "effluent stream".

On the other hand, since there are *2* blowers involved, you are getting more ventilation power overall. IF - and that's a big IF - there's sufficient make-up air (which is a whole debate in itself), the increased airflow may partially compensate for the decreased capture area. In other words, while it may not catch everything as soon as it rises, it will increase the overall flow of air in the room, extracting the polluted air and forcing fresh outside air to come in, via the difference in pressure.

If you're planning to cook a lot on a regular basis, this may not be a good solution. But I've had clients who, although I tried to talk them out of it, did opt for a 2-unit installation like this, for a 2nd home / kosher kitchen / vacation home, and were perfectly happy with it.

If style is more important to you than performance, go for it. Just don't expect a Lamborghini to be able to pull a trailer like a Ford truck..

2.) The problem with buying appliances that are made for Europe and shipping them to the US, is not the cost of shipping, as much as incompatible power supply and certifications.

The electrical standard in Europe is 220 volts AC, with a frequency of 50 hertz.
    The electrical standard in the USA is 110 volts AC, with a frequency of 60 hertz.

You will need a converter that not only lowers the voltage, but also changes the frequency. Otherwise, when you have electronics that expect 50 Hz but get 60 Hz, motors may work at weird speeds, and electronics may act up or not work at all. Also, the converter must be able to supply sufficient amperage on a sustained basis, and not generate too much heat.

Also, European appliances are certified to CE / TUV / GOST standards, while in North America, UL and CSA are the predominant standards.

UL certification allows an appliance/electronic item to be used in homes in the USA (but not Canada).
    CSA certification with the C and US submarks means the item can be used in the USA and Canada:

{{gwi:1425563}}
    CSA logo with US and Canada compliance

3.) There are plenty of European appliance brands which also manufacture items for the North American market. There's no reason to spend $$ on shipping, then deal with the voltage converter issues, and lack of certification (hello, home inspector!), when you can buy an appliance that's already made for this country. Miele USA, Futuro Futuro, Faber, Gaggenau, and others - you have a lot of choices for European-design appliances without having to jump through hoops.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cylinder hood with 110-volt power for US/Canada

• alermar
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for your advice. I had found the Futuro cylinder hood as well. I think, based on your and kaseki's opinion, however, that I'm going to keep looking for something that falls more on the function side of the spectrum than the style side. I do want a functional kitchen :)