Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northlut

Buying replacement parts locally

Northlut
9 years ago

My Frigidaire dishwasher has failed, with an issue that appears (from Google results) to be pretty common. I think either the keypad or the control board needs to be replaced. I already opened up the front panel, and am confident I can replace these myself. Sears has the parts in stock on their website. But I don't really want to go a week without a dishwasher while I'm waiting for the parts, and I also would prefer not to pay the labor for a service appointment since I can do the work myself (and the dishwasher is old enough that I don't want to sink a ton of money into it).

Are there places that might stick these parts locally and be willing to sell them directly to a consumer like myself? I'm thinking the companies that do appliance service are going to want to install it themselves. What kind of place should I look for and what should I say to them?

Comments (11)

• dadoes
    9 years ago

Sears has local parts centers that stock items for pick-up in some cities.
    Sears Parts & Repair Center Locator

There are so many variations of control panels and control boards and other parts such that any local (independent) servicer that handles multiple brands would have to stock thousands of parts for hundreds of models to cover them all, with no assurance that any given item would be sold ... so the chances are the item you need would still have to be ordered with at least a couple/few days wait.

Sears is not the only online source of parts, and sometimes others have better pricing. Check your part at these sources, and also Google it for others.
    PartsTap.com
    ApplianceZone.com
    PartsDr.com
    RepairClinic.com
    AppliancePartsPros.com
    eBay.com (be aware some are used, some are new from storefront sellers)

• Northlut
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks. There are a couple of those Sears centers reasonably close to me. Unfortunately neither answers their phone, so I have no idea if they have what I need in stock. But I guess I'll head over there tomorrow and try!

• stevep2005
    9 years ago

I'm going to echo searspartsdirect.com . I've used them a few times and had good luck, from my Kenmore grill that the salt air ate parts at a fast rate, to my Frigidaire dryer, to my JA FD fridge.

Last month, all four of my fridge wheels seized (adjustment nuts rusted) and the adjustment bolts snapped when I went to raise the wheels to move it for a new floor. I was clueless on what parts I would need but I used theLiveChat feature on their website. The rep walked me through all the parts I would need to fix the fridge in one shot.

The parts came fast, but did come from three separate locations, so the likelihood of finding everything you need at a single local shop is pretty low.

Good luck.

• geoffrey_b
    9 years ago

I've had good luck with the RepairClinic.

Other possibilities include: Google the model number and part description.

Try an find a parts diagram, and get the part number from that.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

In most areas there are plenty of options for buying locally. Just google your city + appliance parts distributors and you should get a few hits. The only advantage to this is that you will get the parts quicker. Often, prices will be higher and the return policies will be less generous.

Speaking of return policies, let's look at the ones of the "big three" online parts shops:

SearsPartsDirect: "You may return an unused and uninstalled part in its original packaging. We must receive the returned part(s) with the Return Authorization number within 365 days of your original order date"

RepairClinic: "You may return any item for any reason within 365 days of placing your order"

AppliancePartsPros: "Unlike our competitors that only offer 30 or even 15 days, we offer 365 days to return a part and we make the process very simple and truly hassle free! If you are not 100% satisfied with your purchase, we will be happy to accept a return for a full refund. While our competitors have strict rules about returning electrical, gas, or special order parts, we let you return any part you buy from us. All we ask is that you send the items back to us in the original packaging, and make sure that the merchandise is in the same condition"

After reading those, which one would YOU buy from? Clearly Sears Parts Direct is the inferior option. I usually use APP out of habit (it's the one I found first), but RepairClinic should be just as good. There have been a couple times where I've been trying to fix an appliance that is loaded with electronic boards, and the problem could be caused by 2 or 3 of them (There is no way to test electronic boards except a visual inspection. If they all pass, you're left to guess). Well I can just order the 2 or 3 possible boards from APP, test them one by one and return the others. They have great customer service and are the most relaxed company I've ever dealt with.

• albryant
    9 years ago

We have a Frigidaire Professional dishwasher which I have worked on multiple times. I have replaced the latch once and the control panel THREE times (and it's going out again and I think we are just about to replace the entire dishwasher).

I've ordered from Sears, Appliance Parts Pro, Parts Dr., and Repair Clinic. Sears almost always has the highest price and charges sales tax, so I usually go with one of the online stores and most have very fast, 2-day shipping.

Is this photo the part you are replacing? We love the way this dishwasher cleans and dries, but the seal around the control panel lets in too much moisture and the touch pad eventually stops working. It's a cheap fix once or twice, but at this point, I think we're done.

• Northlut
    Original Author
    9 years ago

albryant, I ordered that part as well as the control board. I'm not sure which one is the problem yet (I plan to put them on after work tonight). The stuff I've read online about my symptoms (flashing "Er") has blamed both pieces, and I didn't want to have to wait for two shipments if one didn't fix it. Hopefully I can just return whichever piece isn't needed.

I ended up getting it from AppliancePartsPros, and I heartily endorse them. I originally ordered from Sears, because I'd ordered from them before with success, but even though their website claimed the product was in stock, it ended up actually being backordered (which they didn't bother to tell me until the day it was supposed to be DELIVERED even though it said "guaranteed to ship same day"). AppliancePartsPros had both pieces, shipped them right away and were also a little bit cheaper.

I struck out trying to find them locally. The Sears parts stores said they don't carry anything that specialized. They referred me to a local appliance repair shop, but they also didn't have it. So ordering online ended up being the only way to go.

• dadoes
    9 years ago

I struck out trying to find them locally. The Sears parts stores said they don't carry anything that specialized. They referred me to a local appliance repair shop, but they also didn't have it. So ordering online ended up being the only way to go. As I said. :-)

• Northlut
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sometimes one has to learn the hard way ;)

• Northlut
    Original Author
    9 years ago

albryant, you were right, it was the control panel. If it breaks again we'll probably get a new dishwasher, but hopefully this will buy us some time.

• albryant
    9 years ago

Well, I'm sorry your dishwasher has the same problem, but glad you solved it. I was so surprised how easy it was to replace the control panel. And much cheaper than calling a tech!

Ours was on the fritz when I posted that photo, and we took off the door and circuit board cover to let it dry out and that has fixed it for now. I'm definitely looking for a model that isn't quite as susceptible to this issue next time.

Here's hoping your fix lasts a long time!