Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sooey_gw

Kenmore Drop in Range in need of...something...

sooey
12 years ago

Hi Kids,

We have an older model, mid 90's ? electric, Kenmore Drop in range, 911.4552091. I have noticed of late that the temps have been a little funkie as in, not getting to the correct temps I have it set for or changing temp setting during cooking. I thought it was me, but it is not. I was cooking potatoes last evening and about 40 minutes in, the oven started to beep very fast and the digital panel had a F-E message. I re-set the temp and it seemed to correct the problem. I called Sears and was given enough info that I now must decide if I want to spend just under $400.00 for repair or go for a new drop in. It looks like a replacement would run between $550. & a million.

My question for all of you is two part. First, is an oven/range of this age worth the $$ to fix it OR, should I just replace it. From what I can tell, the problem is just the electronics, the rest of the stove seems to be sound.

I appreciate any advice direction you can give me will be greatlty appreciated. Thanks, Kids.

sooey

Comments (11)

• BeanRaven
    12 years ago

Hey sooey,

The best thing to do would be to probably replace the old range because once one thing goes wrong another crops up. Also, the old range probably doesn't have all the new features that the new ones will have, like convection, better self-cleaning equipment, heat insulating materials, faster bake times and other "nice-to-have" features.

Here is a link that might be useful: Drop-In Electric Ranges

• sooey
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi BeanRaven,

Thank you for your response. I looked at the link you sent and can see that the price I will need to pay for a new range will be a big bunch. Not crazy about that but if I can get one that will last another 15 years I will be happy. I guess the era of the simple on/off controls is gone forever. I don't need a bunch of bells and whistles but I guess I need to pay for them. I know what I will be doing tomorrow. Not my idea of a good time...

Thanks again.

sooey

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

Can you remove the cabinet for the range? Then you could save quite a lot of money by putting in a regular range instead (If the space would be wide enough).

• sooey
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi writerblock,

hummmmm...questions to ponder. I will take a look at the construction but my thinking is that there is not enough space to fit a free standing. It may be more costly to remove anything that needs to be removed and repair/finish what is left then it would be to spend the money on an over priced stove. I will, however, scope it out to see if that is a possability. Thank you writersblock, good thinking...a bit out of the box, way to go!

sooey

• lilyarose
    12 years ago

Another possibility might be to modify your space to accomodate a Slide-in range (drop-ins have cabinet or a drawer underneath, slide-ins touch the floor). That would give you considerably more choices for a new one. Cost-wise free standing ranges are best value.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

I don't think there's much difference except the back of the countertop between space for a freestanding and for a slide-in. In either case the cabinet would have to go. Do you have 30" there without it?

Sooey, I know that would be a big old hassle to do, but drop-ins have pretty much died out and there are so few models still available--they know that the only reason anyone buys one is to replace an existing one, so they know they've got you when it comes to prices. For the price of the cheapest of those coil burning drop-ins you could have a nice freestanding stove with a convection oven.

• sooey
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Kids,

I have measured and checked and can now report that I do not have the space needed for a free standing. So, we are back to a drop in or a slide-in. My current range does not sit on a base cabinet but, without removing the toe kick I can only assume that it sits on a wooden box frame. I assume the frame could be removed to allow for a slide-in but that is just a guess on my part. A slide-in would be great since it could give me storage below but, do I have the depth a slide-in would take? Still checking on that issue. I will let you know what we find this weekend.

Thanks for all your input! It has been a big help to me.

sooey

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

>So, we are back to a drop in or a slide-in.

A slide-in needs the same space side to side as a freestanding. Why not post the numbers for what space yo have? The only difference between a slide-in and a freestanding is that you need a piece of countertop behind the slide-in. If that's what you're referring to, it's not a big deal to chop that out, if necessary, even if it's granite or something like that. So I would base your choice on what would work better and be more pleasing to you.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

I forgot to say that I'm pretty sure that most slide-ins need slightly less countertop there than the drop ins do, so you're probably looking at some altering that section of countertop either way, if you don't replace with another drop-in.

• sooey
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So, we might be back to a drop-in. The measurment of my counter top opening is 29 6/16" wide and 23" deep. Those may be off by a tiny bit but they are very close. Hard to get in there with the range still in place. The countertop is a standard 26" deep. The oven is located in a peninsula of cabinets that makes up one side of a 'U' shape ktichen. The back side of the peninsula is finished and exposed to a general gathering area just off of our dinning room.

The saga continues.....

sooey

• sooey
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Our first trip out into the cold, harsh world of 'the new range'. As far as the size issue between drop-in/slide-in goes, measurments should be just about the same, one for the other. We went to two stores, both have installers who would also make any adjustments to our countertop, toe kick as well are remove any support structure under our existing range which is good. Since measurments should be the same I am now thinking that I will go with a slide-in because of the storage below.

I was very surprised to see the prices with my own two eyes. Drop-in/slide-in are twice as much as a stand alone. The best price we saw today was $799. for a black, slide-in Frigadare. The only 'extra' with that one is the self cleaning feature. The guy at the second place wants us to get a GE, glass top, self cleaning slide in for 1,200. I have had such bad experiences with GE products in the past that I really do not want a GE anything in my house. I do, however understand that that may not be the best view to have so I will take another look at them. I hope they have improved their quality.

So, that is it, questions answered. Yes, they still make drop-ins, they are twice as expensive, the measurments are the 'same' between drop-in and a slide-in, installers can make any adjustments, in my kitchen a stand alone is not an option.

I appreciate you taking the time to help. Your advice and direction were most helpful to me.

sooey