Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
verlaj

Help! - Need advice on replacements for old 36" gas (LP) range

verlaj
9 years ago

The time has come to replace our 25 year old gas, 36", free-standing range.

I really want the 36" cooktop and an electric oven. I have priced and viewed many dual-fuel freestanding ranges, but the 36" width is out of our league, except for a couple of European brands which have ovens that are too small.

Now I am thinking I will have a 36" gas cooktop and separate electric wall oven installed underneath. I want a convection oven, self-cleaning, that holds a steady temperature for baking. Proof function would be great to have also.

Have seen a GE cafe range and like the overall construction quality, and have read really positive reviews for the GE gas cooktop, so I am thinking that will be the cooktop (unless somebody convinces me otherwise).

I checked out the GE cafe electric wall oven, all grades, and the reviews are not great. Main concern is a big fluctuation in oven temp, which the company says is to be expected (60 degrees!).

The Bosch 800 electric/convection/self-cleaning wall oven seems to have good reviews and a steady temp was mentioned in one of them. I think the appearance would be compatible with the GE cafe gas cooktop. Other than that, I am lost. Can anyone make recommendations? I want good quality, but I'd like to stay under $3500 for the 2 units. The GE cafe gas cooktop is currently available for ~$1375 plus taxes and service contract. The oven should not exceed ~$2K to stay in my theoretical budget.

Comments (6)

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

I have a GE range that has a convection oven, and I have had no problems with excessive temperature swings. I can't imagine that GE uses different temperature regulation technology throughout their product lines (and actually, my range is much lower end than the Cafe oven so if anything, it should be worse). But do remember that all ovens will have temperature swings to a certain degree, and there is nothing you can do about that.

However, I have a feeling you'll like the Electrolux wall ovens. A lot of people here have them and like them, and they are regarded as the best "bang for the buck" oven you can get. I believe you could swing a single one for around $2k. I don't have one myself, but someone will probably chime in on them. They have a lot of nice features, seem to hold temp well and bake evenly, they look nice, and the Wave Touch controls are cool (though I don't know if you can get a Wave Touch for $2k, you might have to settle for an IQ Touch).

• verlaj
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the input. I did look at the Electrolux Icon, because someone on another website really liked it, but the reviews for that oven are inconsistent. I know there is going to be some inconsistency among reviewers - that's why I'm pretty much sold on the GE gas cooktop - because the reviews are consistently high. I haven't found an oven that scores that well.

I'll check into the GE and the Electrolux again. Thanks again for your thoughts!

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

There isn't much to go wrong with a gas cooktop... that's why you're finding mostly good reviews. Ovens are quite a bit more complicated. There is only one oven I know of that gets consistently good reviews, that would be the Gaggenau. But I think that starts at over $6000 and that's not even for a double oven... The rest of the ovens have their fans and their haters. Here on Gardenweb, it seems like Electrolux is the 2nd least complained about oven, and the vast majority of people seem to be happy. If you put too much weight on online reviews, though... you'll never end up with an oven!

When I was shopping for slide ins GE had the best prices, but for wall ovens it looks like you get a lot more for your dollar with Electrolux. It would be tough to get an Electrolux Icon for $2000, but you could certainly pull it off with the regular Electrolux line. They really are the same inside. This is what their line looks like right now:

Top of the line Icon: 3 glide racks, pro handle, wave touch controls, around $2500 on ajmadison
    Middle of the line: 2 glide racks, wave touch controls, around $2000 on ajmadison
    Bottom of the line: 1 glide rack, IQ touch controls, around $1800 on ajmadison

Even though it it still on their website, it looks like they've discontinued the non-prostyle Icon.

• verlaj
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your comments. I looked at a GE Profile 9050 and an Electrolux oven today. The GE Profile (9050) was highly rated by Consumer Reports and the 7050 had very good online reviews. In person - it looked and seemed fine until I pulled out a rack! Eek. Like nails on chalkboard!! And that was with nothing on it!

The looks and the gliding racks of the Electrolux oven made me check reviews again. I am quite concerned about the number of reviews that complain of electronic failures and uneven heating - plus very poor customer support. I will definitely get a service plan, no matter what!

I will check this site for comments about Electrolux again! Thanks

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

The GE may have good online reviews so far, but remember that they just refreshed their line so there's really limited data on their new stuff. If you look at online reviews of ALL GE wall ovens, you'll certainly find complaints. I'm not saying GE has bad wall ovens, but I doubt they are significantly more reliable than Electrolux.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

The GE may have good online reviews so far, but remember that they just refreshed their Profile line so there's really limited data on their new stuff. If you look at online reviews of ALL GE wall ovens, you'll certainly find complaints. I'm not saying GE has bad ovens (my experience has been great), but I wouldn't rule any one out just due to some bad reviews.