Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nesting12

which ovens/ranges get hot to the touch?

nesting12
14 years ago

Hi, there--

I want a pro-style range that I can (preferably) stir fry on, so it needs one burner with a nice high btu. But I have a preschooler and a small kitchen. It's really important to me to have a safe range-- I don't want the knobs or front to get hot to the touch when I'm using it.

So, ideas? I have read a lot of the threads and it seems bluestar might get hot on the front and sides of the oven when it's on, which bums me because it's my current front runner. I also read American ranges get really hot, including the knobs. True? Thoughts? Any other safety considerations (besides not setting myself on fire)?

tia

Comments (10)

• chefk
    14 years ago

When I was a kid I remember my brother reaching up to the stove top and burning his hand. He hasn't spent any time in a kitchen since.
    Most of the pro-style ranges are insulated in a way that keeps it from projecting heat that could burn a curious little one in the kitchen. Dual Fuel ranges will have cooling fans that constantly circulate air keeping the range from getting too hot.
    All of them have high output burners that work well for stir-fry. Look for a dual flame burner or star shaped burner(challenging to clean). These project heat in the center and out to the wider side of cookware. This is ideal for stir fry. I would initially suggest Wolf all Gas range for your stove top preferences but your concerns for your child want me to have you look at a dual fuel. Since Wolf's DF range and Viking's have standard burners, look at the Electrolux. It has the burner that I described and a good price for the features offered.

• nesting12
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks! I am a little concerned that, despite insulation, some of the ranges seem to get hot. I can't remember now where I read it- a thread here somewhere.

Why do you recommend dual-fuel instead? I don't have the hook-ups for it right now but could get that, of course. I do like the idea of not getting face full of gas when I open the oven-- I'm housesitting and they have dual-fuel and it's really nice-- surprisingly nicer than my all gas for baking. But do you feel there is any other reason to prefer dual fuel?

tia

• friedajune
    14 years ago

Clarification on Chefk's statement "Dual Fuel ranges will have cooling fans that constantly circulate air keeping the range from getting too hot": Actually, those fans' purpose is to cool the electronics that are inside the ranges. Those fans are on both dual fuel ranges and all gas ranges, as long as the ranges have electronics. What the OP should look for is the amount of insulation that a range has that will prevent the door or knobs from getting hot. I have a Dacor all-gas range--the doors and knobs do not get hot whatsoever. I am happy with my Dacor, but there have been threads from people not happy with their Dacors' reliability (tho no complaints of door heat), so take that into consideration. Also, the Wolf ranges are very well insulated. I think Bluestar is considered to be more of a true restaurant-style range, and therefore perhaps has less insulation than other brands, and consequently, the Bluestar door get hot. Perhaps others will chime in with their experiences on other brands they own.

• friedajune
    14 years ago

Also, I haven't had a "face full of gas when I open the oven" since my college apartment with its 40-year-old range. I don't think that happens anymore. I am one of those people who see no difference in baking from electric (my last oven) to gas (my current oven). Also keep in mind that dual fuel ranges are more expensive than all gas (assuming within the same brand), and the electrical work you said you need may be inexpensive or very costly, depending upon your home's wiring and location of electrical panel.

• nesting12
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, I think that's what I need to know-- the degree of insulation. I would like good performance, too, but not at the expense of safety. Do you like your Dacor? I am using a Dacor cooktop right now in someone else's house and I think it's terrific.

• weissman
    14 years ago

Even with a well-insulated range there are areas to be careful of. My DCS all-gas self-cleaning range is well insulated and the oven door doesn't get hot but if you actually stick your finger between the bottom of the oven door and the toekick it is hot in there. Regardless of what range you get, you need to teach the kids that it's off limits to them until they get older.

• alexrander
    14 years ago

The Bluestar I have will get hot hot when using the oven at higher than 350 degrees. Especially around the lower oven door. The American is a bit better, it does get hot, closer to the knobs but not as bad. Just my experience.

• nesting12
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Alexr-- that helps. One bummer is I really like a lot of things about the bluestar, but I don't like the idea of the oven getting really hot-- even for me, that's a bummer (not fun for cooking in the summer). Darn. The Bluestar seems great for stir frying, from what I've read.

• nesting12
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Anyone else have experiences with their oven/stove tops getting hot to relate? thanks :)

• judyfoodie
    14 years ago

I was also concerned about the level of heat from the oven door but opted for the Bluestar anyways, my first choice. I've had it for a little over a month and while it does give off some heat it's not as bad as I thought it would be. I can keep my hand on the oven door and not burn myself. The newer ones now come with vents along the side of the oven doors to help the heat from building up too much so maybe this has made a big improvement. The inside of my cabinets on the side of my range does not get hot. Nor has the laminate counter top melted or get hot from using the 22K burners. Stirfrying is amazing with those burners if that's your cooking preference.

I understand your safety concerns. I'm more worried that my 10 year old will burn himself using the top of the stove when he's making his omelettes and pancakes but so far that hasn't happened. I wouldn't let him use the wok though, as there are serious flames up the sides of the wok, maybe as he gets older. But that's my point, you need to teach your kids how to be responsible around the stove. Just keep an eye on the toddlers while they are in the kitchen (afterall ANY stove with front knobs will tweek their curiosity). But don't fret, if they accidently touch the front, they will feel heat but in my opinion it won't be a bad "ouch". And just remember, kids will grow up faster than you think, so get the range that will make you happy in the long run.