Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scoutie_gw

Induction Cooktop-Question: Use of two 11' pans

Scoutie
11 years ago

We just moved into a home that has electric only. The range that came with the house is old - with coils. (I had a gas unit in my old kitchen.) I'm considering purchasing an induction cooktop because I want the burner to heat up and cool quickly.

Here's my problem:

I tend to cook with TWO 11" pans on a daily basis (e.g., meat in one, sauteed veges in another, etc.) I've been told by two salespeople that any unit with a glass top (induction or electric) will break if you use a pan too large for the "burner." Plus, I've just been told by a salesperson that with induction, the part of the pan that's not on the (induction) "burner" will not heat up (unlike coils).

What are my options for induction cooking - using two 11" pans at the same time?

If I can't figure this out, I'm going to have to resort to purchasing an electric cooktop with coils.

Am I the only person with this problem? Help, please!

Comments (50)

• Scoutie
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oops - what a difference a shift key makes. The subject line should read 11" pans, not 11' ;-p

• chac_mool
    11 years ago

The other thing to be clear about is that for an induction hob you need to know the diameter of the bottom of the pan, where it is in contact with the hob. Not the (usually larger) diameter of the top of the pan where its sides have flared out, which is how pans are often measured. The flat bottom of the pan can extend an inch beyond the hob's outer ring. So if your pans are 11" by this measure, you want a cooktop with two ~10" to 12" hobs.

Best bet may be to bring your pans along when you're looking for an induction cooktop, and maybe even try cooking with them at the appliance store.

• herring_maven
    11 years ago

Scoutie: "I've been told by two salespeople that any unit with a glass top (induction or electric) will break if you use a pan too large for the "burner." Plus, I've just been told by a salesperson that with induction, the part of the pan that's not on the (induction) "burner" will not heat up (unlike coils)."

The charitable word to describe the salespeople is "uninformed"; less charitable adjectives may be more appropriate.

Using a pan too large for the burner may result in the edges of the pan not getting enough energy to heat satisfactorily; if a pan has a highly conductive layer (copper or aluminum), the heat may distribute to the edges more evenly. The ceramics used in "glass" cooktops (the great majority are Schott Ceran) are very tough, but, like glass, they are breakable. If you drop a heavy object on them from a height, they may break, but they will not break simply from using a pan with a diameter larger than the induction coil.

The shape of the field of energy transfer differs between energy transferred as heat (electric coils, ribbon radiant burners, or gas) and energy transferred as magnetic oscillation (induction), but -- in gross terms -- the rule of inverse squares generally applies to both. That is, if the linear distance between the energy source and the point where the energy is received is doubled, then the power of the energy at the point of receipt will be one-fourth. That gross simplification must be tempered in the case of induction appliances by the complexities of magnetic fields being shaped by the presence of magnetic conductors within the field -- that is, the pots or pans that you are hoping will receive the magnetism on an induction range; and, in the case of resistive electric heat sources, by the different methods in which heat energy transfer may take place. On (resistive) electric cooking surfaces, often most of the heat transfer takes place where there is direct physical contact between the heat source (coil) and the pan in the form of conduction, with a very minor component of radiation and convection transfer outside the pan; but when the (resistive) electric appliance uses ribbon radiant devices (most glass-top electric appliances), most of the heat transfer is through radiation, with lesser components coming from conduction and convection. Generally, any convection that the appliance creates in the air outside of and surrounding the pan is waste heat: it heats up the kitchen and contributes negligibly to heating the contents of the pot or pan.

You are, however, going to find very few induction cooktops that have two 11" burners. You may need to get two cooktops and mount them side by side to get that flexibility.

• Scoutie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for your responses.

Fori: I just spoke with a salesperson (my third, today) who said that in 9 years of service, he's never seen a glass/ceramic top break due to pans extending beyond the surface of the element. He thinks the caveat is the manufacturers' way of covering their bottoms (or...tops ;-p )

I'm now looking at the 36" Electrolux Hybrid -

http://www.electroluxappliances.com/kitchen-appliances/cooktops/induction/ew36cc55gb

Would love to go all induction, but this unit has one 10" induction and one 9" radiant (both at the front of the unit, which I like). It's a relief knowing that I'm not going to break the glass/ceramic by using my 11" (bottom diameter) pan on a 9" radiant.

I do wish Electrolux would make this unit without the rim/edge. I'm reading that the presence of the outer rim makes cleaning more difficult. (I can easily imagine food particles getting stuck in there.) Se la vi.

Chac mool: I can't find a darn appliance store around here that has models for trial cooking! "We don't have 200 service, etc." And I'm in a major city. Crazy. I'm going to keep trying.
    Other option, it seems - is to purchase two cooktops (per herring_mavin), perhaps two domino units.

• attofarad
    11 years ago

I don't think you will find any induction owner to recommend a hybrid. You give up ease of cleaning when you do that, along with the speed. They are usually sold based on being able to use some of your existing pans that may not be induction compatible, and they are usually a bit cheaper.

• weedmeister
    11 years ago

Nobody has anything good to say about that hybrid unit. The radiant side will work like the coil top except that anything spilt will burn and stick to it.

The deal about using larger pans is that the manufacturer will warn you against going over a certain size (like 1") beyond the diameter of the hob. The issue is not that it will BLOW UP or break the glass but that the electronics underneath may overheat. In this case, the unit will shut down until it cools.

You should be able to put a 12" pan (measured across the bottom) on a 10" hob. One inch on all sides.

Go to The Induction Site and look at the various configurations available for 36" tops. You should be able to find something with a single 11" and double 8" that should work just fine for you.

Also, there are some double units with say a 12" and 8" that are 15" wide that you could mount side by side. (but you'll only get 4 hobs.)

• luv2putt
    11 years ago

Go full induction and dont look back ...Majority of the sales people have no clue about induction and how it works ...Go find a dealer that can demo an induction unit for you to play with .. Not sure why you would want a hybrid ( half vw /half ferrai)... keep looking for a dealer who has one hooked up ...it may require traveling to a major city ...

• Scoutie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Weedmeister - You stated that a single 11" and "double 8 inch" should work for me. Are you saying that an 11" pan will fit on a double 8"? (By double 8", do you mean - two, separate 8" hobs...or two that are, in some way, integrated?)

I've been searching the Induction Site--spending all day on this (and plenty of days prior). I'm not seeing any dominoes that are 12" (or 11") + 8" hobs. Whew. I've emailed the webmaster at that site for ideas.

I'm also now reading bad reviews on the Electrolux Hybrid, especially in terms of reliability.

I'm done for the day. Time to go cook on some coils...

Thanks for your responses.

• Scoutie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

luv2putt - All I want to be able to do is use induction with two 11" pans (and have two smaller burners). That's it! Evidently, this is a tall request.

• weedmeister
    11 years ago

I was thinking about something like the Elux or Miele with the big 11" in the middle and two 8" in the front (or back?) on either side. The other two would be like 6"

And 8" hob could handle a 10" (measured on the bottom) pan. A 12" fry pan could be only 10" on the bottom.

I thought Diva still made a 2-hob unit that was like 11" and 6" and was like 15" wide by 20" deep.

• weedmeister
    11 years ago

The Bosch 500 series in 36" has an 11" center hob and a 9" hob on the front right. The other 3 are 7"/7"/6".

The Miele 5773 has an 11" center with two 9" hobs left and right front, two 6.4" hobs left and right rear.

• Scoutie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Weedmeister - you think I'd be OK putting a (good quality) 11" pan on a 9" hob? I mean, the 2" extra diameter WILL heat, yes? (Salespeople are telling me only to extend 1/2".) Do you have personal experience with this? (I don't want to ever regret this purchase! As my husband says, "I don't care what the heck you spend, I just don't want to hear ANY moaning or groaning afterwards" ;-p)

• dodge59
    11 years ago

As mentioned, stay away form the Hybrids.
    We have the Elux Icon Induction cooktop, 30".
    It has one big hob, just under 11 inches (Outside circle)
    and a 9 inch hob (Outside circle).

For curiosity's sake I took my largest pan, around 11 inches and put it on the smallest hob, 5 inches. I put water in the pan and watched the boil pattern. At first I saw a circle of bubbles, the size of the hob, but it soon spread to the rest of the pan. As long as your pans have good heat transfer, (Mine are tri-clad pans, Emerilware), you should have no problem using an 11 inch pan on a 9 inch hob.

We've had our cooktop for a couple of years now, No problems whatsoever, makes absolutely no noise, and the wife luv's it!!!

I too am disgusted by remarks from
    "Misinformed sales people"

Good luck on your decision, regardless of which brand you buy, I'm sure you will be delighted with any of them!

Gary

• Scoutie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

THANK YOU GARY!!! Now I'm getting excited about a new induction cooktop! Yay - a 9" hob should be fine!! (And, yes, I have good pans that have good heat transfer. Of course, I know about the "magnetic" issue, too.)

OK - all I need to do is check to see which cooktops will FIT two 11" pans. (Some of these models seem to have some pretty poor layouts with 'hobs' very close to one another.) But, I know - this is DOABLE. Um, I think I'm going to go with a 36 incher. Oh boy!

Gary - quick question: I see that some of these cooktops have a frame around them. Do you suggest one with or without the frame? Do food particles get inside the frame - making it more difficult to clean?

I know I sound picky about all this, but cooking is a real passion for me. This wrong purchase will make my (daily) life pretty miserable.

• attofarad
    11 years ago

The 36" Electrolux Icon E36IC80ISS has two 10" hobs, which should be fine for two ll" pans. They are on opposite sides of the front edge, so they won't be crowded against each other. However, reviews on AJ are poor for reliability -- not certain that the reviewers had this same model.

Here is a link that might be useful: Icon 36

• Scoutie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You all are great! Thank you!

Attogarad - see how close that frame comes to the 10" hobs on the Electrolux Icon? I've got to try my pans on that cooktop to see if the frame LIFTS the pan (overhang) - which would keep the induction from working. And I don't think this cooktop comes without the frame.

I *will* check out the reviews. #1 is reliability. Years ago, I purchased a range that I nearly THREW into the backyard. Oh, I was sooo tempted...we were having company and the oven ceramic element/starter thing cracked...AGAIN--the 3rd time--and the oven wouldn't function. The company ended up sending us three spare ceramic elements to plug in if it happened again. Needless to say, we got a new range - and I did a lot of research beforehand.

• dodge59
    11 years ago

Mine is an older one with the frame. We've really had no problems with it, cleaning or otherwise, but the SS frame can get scratched, so were I to do it again, I would go frameless as you wont have to be as careful trying to keep from putting big scratches on the stainless.

We had a frameless conventional glass cooktop before, and I really don't see a lot of difference as far as cleaning goes, but of course it had no stainless that I had to be careful of, and never needed "Bartenders Friend" with it, alto to be honest, I haven't used it on the Elux either, (Yet)!

Gary

• kaseki
    11 years ago

I have the Kenmore clone of the 2007 36-inch E'lux Icon. It lacks the stainless steel strip that then year Icons had between the hob space and the control space. Just don't have the pans overlap the controls and you should be OK.

This unit was bought at the end of 2007 and used on blocks for three years until my kitchen reno got to the point that I could install it. Now, 4.5 years since purchase, it has had zero problems.

kas

• williamsem
    11 years ago

We have a 30 in GE profile range and are really happy with it. It does have a little lip around the edge that collects some crumbs, but hasn't been too bad to clean. The nice thing with induction is nothing gets baked onto the surface, and you can put paper towels under the pans while you cook if you want to. The paper towel is not heated directly, and the radiant heat from the pan is not enough to cause ignition.

• kashmi
    11 years ago

Scoutie. Hi. We have a 36" Bosch 800 series induction cooktop.

FRAMES
    The Bosch does have the stainless strips across the top and bottom. Since there is no frame on either side, however, that makes for pretty easy clean up. Just sweep crumbs left or right and off the cooktop.

We've only had it since November, so haven't really had time to scratch the stainless strips -- yet!

HOB SIZES
    We often use two large pans/pots: a large pasta pot and a large skillet for making the sauce. One nicely fits on the large 11" burner (center - to - center back in placement) and one fits on the 9" hob (right front in placement). I just want to second Dodge59's experience that you CAN successfully use an 11" pan on a 9" burner.

As someone else has also suggested, measure the bottom of the pots/pans you are using. They usually are a bit smaller than the top diameter.

• westsider40
    11 years ago

I love my 30" Bosch. It has an 11", 9" and two small hobs. I can put almost any size pan on a hob and it works. It's a lot easier after you buy it then before. I was concerned about the same things that you are. It is really easy ---to use and to clean. The heat is even and instantly responsive to your touch. You change the heat setting, the heat changes instantly. It stops boiling or starts boiling.

Just get all the ingredients ready, mise en place. Your induction cooking machine will do your bidding.

• cj47
    11 years ago

I have the 36 inch Miele. It has a very slender frame, but it is constructed in such a way that it does not collect crud--it wipes clean easily. Love the unit, it performs beautifully.

Cj

• Scoutie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You all are putting my concerns at ease. I can't thank you enough! I'm leaning toward the 36" Bosch (thanks, kashmi, for pointing out the frameless sides) or Miele (thanks for sharing your experience, cj47). I'm going to read the reviews and go see these cooktops - with pans in hand. Thank you all so much for taking the time to respond. Then onto selecting cabinets and countertop. I found "GardenWeb" not long ago by searching on "carrera marble countertops." Oh boy, that's a hot topic for another thread ;-)

• herring_maven
    11 years ago

Scoutie: "Weedmeister - You stated that a single 11" and "double 8 inch" should work for me. Are you saying that an 11" pan will fit on a double 8"? (By double 8", do you mean - two, separate 8" hobs...or two that are, in some way, integrated?) I've been searching the Induction Site--spending all day on this (and plenty of days prior). I'm not seeing any dominoes that are 12" (or 11") + 8" hobs."

Our LG LCE30845 has a 10-1/2" (actual measurement; I do not know its nominal size) element in the center rear and two 7-3/8" (actual measurement) elements on the left that can be used independently or bridged (there is a third hourglass-shaped element between them that activates automatically when they are bridged) to make a 16-3/8" x 7-3/8" oblong element.

Be aware that there are no rules for the nominal diameter specs of cooktop elements: some are rounded up, and others are rounded down. That 10-1/2" element on the LG could be called a 10" element by one manufacturer and an 11" element by another, and elements the same size as the LG's 7-3/8" elements could well be some other maker's nominally 8" elements.

• ca_mom
    11 years ago

As others have stated, which pan you use makes a huge difference. I have a Gaggenau and the center hob has a 7" inner ring surrounded by an 11" outer. There's an indicator light to tell me if one or both are operating. When I use my 9" bottom Circulon pan, only the inner 7" ring operates. And the pan is slow and quite "clicky." But once it heats up, it takes adjustments perfectly and cooks a dozen scrambled eggs well, so essentially this is a 9" pan working on an 7" hob. However when I use my Le Creuset 9" bottom saute pan both the inner and outer ring are active and the performance is spectacular. No clicking, heats up quickly, and stir fries develop that great fond. So the spread of heat/conductivity within the pan itself and (I'm guessing) between the pan and where it's just near, not even in contact with the cooktop along the curved edge, in a cast iron is great. Unfortunately the heat spreads to cast iron handles as well. I was looking forward to cool handles all the time as opposed to the hot handles you can get over a gas stove, but it's a worthwhile trade off. Enjoy!

• weedmeister
    11 years ago

Most all of the manufactures will give you a CYA warning about overlapping pans on hobs. At the same time, the 'max' overlap can be up to an inch. So a 9" hob can handle an 11" pan (9" + 1" + 1").

Both the Bosch and Meile have individual timers that will shut off the hob when the time expires. I find this feature very useful, others not so much.

I measured my 14" fry pan: 10.5" bottom.

• rococogurl
    11 years ago

Alternately, and this would be expensive, but likely resolve the issue completely, you could go with a 30" or 36" and then get a separate 2-hob unit installed adjacent to it.

• jwvideo
    11 years ago

Scoutie: this is just for additional reassurance. The sales rep's information was correct for "radiant" glass-tops but not for straight induction. Which is yet another reason to avoid a "hybrid" cooktop.

The actual problem is that many salespeople do not yet know that induction stoves are not radiant burner cooktops. All they know is that both have ceramic glass tops.

The "cracking" problem is not with ceramic glass cooktops, per se.

The risk of cracking comes from using overlarge pots with the radiant electric heating elements under the glass on radiant electric stoves and cooktops.

Induction does not have heating underneath the glass, so there will not be the same problems.

I believe this was explained in a detailed thread that was posted here about ten or twelve years ago. I was not able to find it, so I will list out what I remember learning back then.

Specifically, the problem with using oversize pans on radiant burners � but not induction stoves � was that:

(a) using a radiant burner produces a lot of heat on both sides of the glass � that is, from the radiant burner below the glass and from the heated pan on top of the glass;

(b) the heat from below is cycling up and down � that is, when a radiant burner is used at less than its hottest setting, the burner cycles on and off to produce the level of heat you set by averaging between the on and off cyles;

(c) with an "over-large" diameter pan, that cycling of heat extends to a wider area of the glass which, in turn, can lead to thermal shocking as the heat changes.

(d) too much thermal shocking over too large an area will make the glass crack; and

(e) The over-large area of reflected heat can radiate a lot of heat into areas not designed to take it which may then damage the sensors that regulate the cycling of the radiant burners which, in turn, could either make your burner stop working or make it stay on too long and overheat the pan. Engineers at one stove manufacturer supposedly melted a thin-walled graniteware canning kettle or, at least, got it so hot that the engineers were worried it might melt on their radiant burner cooktop. Who knows whether it is really true or not? The point is that there were enough problems that radiant-burner stove makers began putting safety warnings in the manuals that cautioned against using over-large pans.

Now, to be sure, there are a lot of postings here and elsewhere on the internet from people who have managed to run oversized canning kettles on both radiant and induction stoves.

Today, most salepeople know about the "no-more-than-one-inch-larger" warnings. Many do not seem to know that induction stoves are not radiant cooktops. This problem may be worse because some manufacturers hand out the same manuals for their radiant and induction units without bothering to even mention the induction. GE has this problem, or did a couple of weeks ago when I looked at one of the manual for their induction stoves and found it was only for their standard radiant stoves.

Anyway, I digress, a bit. Induction stoves only have heat on one side of the glass. The glass does not get anywhere near as hot as it does with radiant burners. That means there is much less prospect of thermal shocking. Also, glass is a pretty good insulator, too, so there is much less prospect of heat radiating down to where it could damage components under the glass even when you use very large pans. For example, GE's appliance website seems to recognize this different. (Never mind the manuals.) For the 30" freestanding induction range -- which somebody mentioned above -- GE specifically says that you can span two induction burners with a long griddle pan. This was something they only recommended for radiant stoves with "bridge" burners which are designed to handle the wider eat.

Thus, with induction stoves, the "one-inch larger diameter" rule is actually about possible uneven heating rather than protecting the stove.

In short, you cannot harm an induction stove by using 12-inch pans on an 11-inch burner or even using them on 6-inch burners. Not unless you drop the heavy pans from too great a height and break the glass that way.

So, not to worry.

• jwvideo
    11 years ago

A couple more thoughts to clarify my previous post where I tried to summarize an old discussion of the glass cracking/overlarge pot concern.

First, the actual problem with overlarge pans on radiant glasstops is underheating rather than overheating and cracking the glasstop. That story about the melted pot is the stuff of urban legend, a story too good not to tell even if the facts are more mundane. From reading posts from folks who have canning kettles, the problem they have with overlarge-diameter canning kettles on radiant stoves is that it takes very long time to get the kettle to boil if it will boil, at all. The two reasons for this seem to be: (a) rather than actually causing overheating, the very large diameter pot causes the radiant sensors to "see" too much heat and throttle down the burner; and (b) radiant glass-top burners work best with flat and level bottomed pans but a lot of older, thin- walled (graniteware) canning kettles have uneven and/or ridged bottoms that do not work very well on radiant glass-top cooking surfaces.

Second, my previous post talked about heat build-up beneath the glass top. I did not mean to imply that there is no below-the-glass heat from induction burners. However, the amount of heat is far, far less than from a radiant burner. A radiant burner generates heat by making a ribbon of metal hot enough to glow red underneath the glass. That is a lot of heat. That also gets the glass very hot. But, induction burners are only generating a magnetic field which generates a lot less heat. Those electronics only generate the kind of heat your computer does. That is why induction cooktops can have tiny ventilation fans like your computer does. Up above the glass-top, the field generates heat in the metal pan, but the field itself does not and cannot heat the glass top, at all. Only the pan heats up, and only to cooking temperatures. The pan temps will not heat above cooking temps because, AFAIK, every induction cooktop and stove you can buy will have an overheat sensor that shuts off the burner if the pan gets too hot. After all, we are cooking here, not smelting aluminium. If you leave an induction burner going under an empty pan, the sensor shuts off the heating a long time before the pan starts glowing like a radiant burner.

• jwvideo
    11 years ago

And, as far as the uneven heating when using your large pan on an 8" burner, you can get a very quick read on how well your pans will work by checking them out with your existing electric stove/cooktop. The largest burner will probably be an 8" diameter coil. (Maybe there are two 8" and two 6" coils?) If the heat in the pans is even enough with on the 8" coil burners -- you may need to pre-heat the pans for a proper saute -- the pans will be satisfactory on an 8" induction burner.

• Scoutie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Very reassuring posts. Thank you! You all have been 100 times more helpful than the 3 salespeople I've spoken with. They were practically useless! In fact, I called one of the top kitchen distributors here (major city!), told the salesman about my two 11" pans and he said, "Nope, we don't have anything here that will accommodate two 11" pans." I said, "Do you have any dominoes?" He had NO idea what I was talking about. Once I described, he said "No, we don't carry anything like that." Well, dang, you're Mr. Information, aren't you.

By the way, I use "everyday" pans (not technically fry pans) - that are a full 11" at the bottom. (I double checked.) I like them for that reason - lots of surface space for sauteing sliced pork tenderloin, chicken parts, etc. I love these darn pans. (Great for storage too, two U-shaped handles...fit nicely in the cabinet.)

I'm feeling so much better about *not* cracking the glass with the 11" pans AND knowing that the pans WILL heat (even if eventually) across the 11". I'll need to get induction "every day" pans. Will be sure to get really good ones, per your recommendations. I'm hooked on stainless (relatively light weight - hey, I'm aging!)and such easy clean up.

VERY cool that I can "bridge," say - a roasting pan on two burners without a bridge-hob, too. I was wondering about that!

By the way, I was on the phone with a friend who wants a new range. She has electric, too. I told her I was getting induction, why, etc. - and that "GardenWeb" posts been EXTREMELY helpful. She asked me to ask ya'll a question, so I'll pose it here. She said she read somewhere that you can't put a hot pan (from the oven) on a cold, glass/ceramic top. Ya'll know if that's true? (Honestly, I can't imagine that to be true but thought I'd ask those with experience!)

And thanks JWVideo for taking the time to write a detailed description. I understand what you're saying! ;-)

• dan1888
    11 years ago

Coming in July also as a Thermador unit the 48 inductors sense the size of your pan. Four zones on a 36" cooktop. Unfortunately these will cost alot.
    AEG(Electrolux) maxizone units in Europe have been available zoneless for several years in 24, 30 and 36" at very reasonable prices of about $1k.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gaggenau Freeinduction

• Scoutie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dan - I saw those. I think they're running (if I recall) around $5,000. Yeah, that's a bit crazy for me...PLUS the kitchen rehab, new oven, fridge, etc. I love to cook but I won't do $5,000 for a cooktop.

Dang - $1,000 in Europe?! I've read that induction is very popular in Europe...no surprise! (Zoneless would be great!)

• jwvideo
    11 years ago

"She said she read somewhere that you can't put a hot pan (from the oven) on a cold, glass/ceramic top. Ya'll know if that's true?"

AFAIK, the recent vitroceramics from Schott are supposed to take a lot of heat without breaking from thermal shock. There have been some threads here about this topic. I've linked to one below.

Now, there may be some potential cosmetic problems if you slide bare aluminum or copper across a virtoceramic top. Apparently, it can be like dragging a silver or copper colored crayon only much harder to clean up. I gather that something similar happens when dragging bare aluminum over porcelain sinks. Note that this does not aply to anodized or coasted aluminum, just the bare bare aluminum.

With induction, you won't be using copper or bare aluminum pans anyway as they they just do not work on induction. (Well, actually, you can get induction heating disks from Chef's Catalog, Sur La Table,e tc. which will allow you to keep using other kinds of pans). If you do have uncoated aluminum roasters or bare aluminum cookie sheets, it might be a good idea to throw down some paper towels before plonking that roaster or cookie sheet on top of the stove.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hot cookie sheets on stovetop

• rococogurl
    11 years ago

I have a Schott radiant 36" cooktop. I don't put something hot on it without a trivet, cooling rack or old cutting board that can sustain burns though, to be fair, I do slide hot pots off one burner and onto other unheated areas without incident. It does work as a "surface" under the vent hood for the electric griddle and for the Breville Smart grill which throws a lot of heat when it's searing.

• Scoutie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks JW & rococogurl. I've copied and pasted your responses in an email to my friend (and sent her the link to "Hot Cookie Sheets on Stovetop").

And, JW - looks like Cooks Illustrated is recommending the Max Burton 6010 8" induction interface Disk with Heat Proof Handle ($39). I'll get one.

• attofarad
    11 years ago

Scoutie, regarding "induction interface disks", I guess it might be useful if you have a little pot that is too small to work that you want to warm butter in or some other cookware you just love. It would also let you use lighter pots if, like my wife, you are having trouble with the heft of a good tri-ply stainless. I do not expect that they will do as well at transferring the heat to the pan, so I don't think they would be effective at higher power levels. Especially true if the pan isn't perfectly flat on bottom.

That said, I haven't used one personally. Lots of reviews (from cheering to booing) on Amazon.

Here is a link that might be useful: Induction disk reviews

• Scoutie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Attofarad - Thanks for your reply.

For $39 - I'm going to give the "interference disk" a try. I figured it wouldn't transfer heat as well - but I do have a few little pots I'd like to keep. Fortunately, my pressure cooker does have a magnetic bottom.

So far, I'm OK lifting tri-ply stainless. It's the large Le Creusets that are a bit much.

Thanks again for your post ;-)

• kaseki
    11 years ago

Because the induction disks are not in good thermal contact with the pan, they will need to run hotter than the pan bottom, and will conduct some of this higher temperature heat into the cooktop. This needs to be kept in mind when expecting the induction hob after cooking to be relatively safe if accidentally touched.

kas

• ca_mom
    11 years ago

Scoutie, If you're a pressure cooker user as I am, do consider a cooktop with the shut-off timers. Induction is perfect for pressure cookers, as the temp is regulated. I jot down the settings for the pressure to remain stable so the cooking times are consistent. Now I can walk (even drive) away and not worry about dinner burning. I agree the Le C's are quite heavy...but they're so pretty!

• Scoutie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

kas: Thanks so much for the tip!

ca_mom: Very cool, er...hot? ;-) Man, that's so neat that the temp regulates so well on induction. OK - will look for one with shut-off timers. I'm leaning heavily toward the 36" Bosch which has built-in timers for each element. Great idea about jotting down the settings.

• dan1888
    11 years ago

AEG maxisense cooktops arre made by Electrolux which also produces $20k zoneless cooktops for commercial use. AEG units listed on pricerunneruk are CE approved for 50-60hz and 210-250v, which includes the US. A boxed unit weighs about 30 lbs, ready for shipping and is duty free.

Here is a link that might be useful: AEG on pricerunner

• luv2putt
    11 years ago

Scoutie... i just want to let you know , I had 12" , and a 11" and sauce pan all going strong on my my induction range ...I have 14" pan that i have used also without issue ...As i told you earlier , you need to really find one you can demo to fully appreciate... you will never want for gas again..

• Tamko3
    11 years ago

I have used a Kitchenaid 36" induction for the past 4 years. I have used all of the burners at the same time. Yes, there is no problem using 2 large pans at the same time. I am now in a rental (until our house is built) and using gas. Both my husband and I do not like gas and cannot wait until we get to use induction again! Tami

• jchcwh2624
    10 years ago

I got the 30" Wolf Induction cooktop - two 8.5" hobs and two smaller hobs. I use 11" and 12" pans on them all the time, at the same time. Go induction and don't look back! (Some people have mentioned buzzing or clicking. On low settings, the magnets cycle on and off, making a slight clicking sound. Any humming comes from the pans and how flat they sit on the burner. But it's really minor. If you're using an exhaust fan, you won't hear it at all. I use QVC non-stick stainless steel pans - LOVE them - and a T-Fal non-stick stainless skillet. All very affordable.)

• nearmountain
    10 years ago

Hi Scoutie - I too cook with two 11" bottom all clad fry pans. Could you let me know which induction cook top you went with and how you like it?

Thanks!

• MizLizzie
    10 years ago

nearmountain, I cook with an 11" fry pan and a 14" saute pan on my basic Bosch 300 and it works like a charm. I had to look hard, IIRC, to find an 11" element for my humongous saute pan. 10" seems to be more standard. Anyhoo, the Bosch has pot sense so it is very forgiving what you can put where. I cannot tell you how much I love this cooktop, and what a bargain I now think it was.

• fern16
    9 years ago

A few induction tips: (Love my Induction-- user for 8+ years)

Cleaning takes only a few minutes! I cut up old, soft towels to clean the top. Dampen a clean one with hot water and use a drop of Dawn or Joy; rub the cooktop with the soapy-side then flip the rag to just-the-wet side and wipe off the soap. Buff with a clean, dry towel-rag. (I have the stainless steel top and bottom edge--cleaning them this way is no problem.) ONLY USE A CLEAN RAG (sponge, paper towel) EACH TIME for washing or drying the top!

I am concerned about thermal-shock to the glass. Get a nice, thick, silicone trivet/potholder and put it on a corner of your cooktop. A great place to move hot pots and pans to or to place pans, safely, from the oven.

Learn NOT TO shake pans!

(PS - I have used paper towels under pots. They can get scorched. And the one kind seemed to leave a trace of its waffle-pattern that I had to buff out with the cook-top crème. I now just try to use a bigger pot for things prone to bubbling over -- oil, oatmeal, etc.)

• Batgurl
    3 years ago

scoutie, could we get an update on what brand and type of induction cooktop you ended up getting?