Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dj493

36" Rangetop - 6 burners or 4 burners w/griddle?

DJ493
10 years ago

For those that have made this choice in the past and now that time has passed would you still make the same choice? My personal thought is that the 6 burner configuration is a bit more versatile, a griddle can always be placed across 2 burners. That said I can see the advantage that a rangetop with a built in griddle would have its advantages.

Anyway if you have made this choice in the past would I would be happy to hear if would have made to same choice now or not. If not why would you not make the same choice.

Thanks

oops, sorry for double post.

This post was edited by DJ493 on Sun, Jun 30, 13 at 12:22

Comments (11)

• cookncarpenter
    10 years ago

In the four months that I've had my Bluestar with 4 burners and griddle, I've not yet ever used all 4 burners at once, and rarely used three at once. Maybe it's the way I cook, but I can't imagine needing more than 4 burners, and I LOVE the built in griddle! I've been experimenting, and trying just about anything that can be grilled, or cooked in a skillet, and putting it on the griddle, and super easy to clean... I could probably get by, and might even enjoy only two burners and a 24" griddle :)

This post was edited by ctycdm on Sun, Jun 30, 13 at 14:33

• nixit71
    10 years ago

You'll get plenty of views on both sides. Bluestar charges over $600 more for a griddle or grill, so some folks will say you can buy a great griddle and pocket the savings. We chose the 6 burner, but like ctycdm, we haven't needed to use more than 4 burners yet. If the prices were the same, we might have gone with the griddle.

• Mistman
    10 years ago

I've also got the 36" w/4 burners and a griddle. Like mentioned above, I have not needed all 4 burners going at once but w/the griddle I may have 2 burners and the griddle going at the same time. I LOVE my griddle and use it as an integral part of my burner arsenal, it's not just for pancakes but like ctycdm mentioned it's very versatile if you choose to use it. Clean up is a breeze. Previously I used a griddle across 2 burners (for years) but they're heavy and awkward and I'm happy to have it relegated to the camping kitchen.

• cornfieldcraig
    10 years ago

I haven't had it long, but my 36" Viking has a center griddle. It's a huge upgrade from my old aluminum griddle that I used over two burners. First, it's a LOT thicker, so the heat is very even and constant. Also, I can get it much, much hotter than a teflon-coated pan. After the griddle is seasoned, it's quite non-stick. Not like teflon, but excellent nevertheless. I really enjoy cooking fried eggs. It's so easy to flip them without any skillet sides in the way, although if you like your eggs really white, telflon is the way to go. My griddle browns the eggs. I suppose I could drop the temperature and it would help, but I love my eggs this way. Another great thing is steaks and burgers. They brown beautifully and get a great crust. One last thing it's great for -- reheating leftover pizza. Just turn the griddle on to a lowish temperature, put the slices on whatever way they fit, then put the cover on. In 5-10 minutes, it's almost like they're fresh from the oven. And if you turn off the griddle and leave slices right where they are, they stay nice and warm and crispy for quite a long time.

My daughter has the 48" and hasn't used her griddle a single time, thinking it's too much bother to clean. Mistake!

• Mistman
    10 years ago

A couple days ago I had some leftover prime rib, cut slices and warmed them on the griddle. I could have used a pan but a 12" wasn't big enough for 6 slices at the same time. You can do a lot of things w/a griddle if your not afraid to use it :) It's just like a big pan w/out sides.

• TwoBelles
    10 years ago

I LOVE my griddle; I have a 48" with four burners, a grill and a griddle. The grill is my only regret; I live in a warm climate and always use the outdoor grill. I only like the indoor grill for some veggies and for pita bread. I cannot imagine not having the griddle. It is wonderful for all the usual suspects like pancakes, panini, etc.....but it is also wonderful for keeping sauces warm without scorching, melting chocolate, low simmers....just put your pan on the griddle and use it like a french plaque. I could eliminate the grill and have two more burners, but honestly I would choose a double wide griddle. (Have I mentioned that I LOVE mine??)

• wekick
    10 years ago

I have a couple griddle overlays on six burners and am very happy with that. I do from time use all my burners. I would look at the properties of the metals and see what would fit the way you cook. I like that with the add on you could change the griddle if you wanted to use the different metals with different properties.
    Some differences in the built in and add on--
    The built in may be thicker than the add on but you would have to ask as they may very brand to brand. The built in is often made of steel. Because steel has poor heat transfer qualities, this will take longer to heat and not be as nimble if you want to change the temperature of the cooking surface. It will be more subject to hot spots. If it is thicker, it will take even longer and be take longer to change temp. It will hold much more heat for searing and retain heat longer though. Most have a surface that will season over time and become non stick like a cast iron skillet. I think Thermador has some other finish on theirs. Some of the overlay griddles are a little bigger as wide as 15 inches. There are also some ranges that come with an add on griddle specific to that range that fits and seats a little better than the regular add ons. With add ons, you would have your choice of metals, usually between steel, cast iron, porcelain covered cast iron, nonstick aluminum and uncoated aluminum.
    Steel and cast iron are poor conductors of heat so would behave as described above. Some people like that there tends to be areas that are different temperatures because they can use it to their advantage. These will both take a seasoning fairly easily. For being add ons, they are very heavy to move around. The porcelain covered cast iron will not really take a seasoning very well.
    Aluminum griddles have excellent heat transfer so heat very evenly throughout and are quicker to respond to changes in heat. They do not hold as much heat though. Aluminum is also much lighter weight if you have to move it. Bare aluminum will take a seasoning but require a little more time to develop. Some like the nonstick griddles but I always think of them as disposable eventually.

Here is a link that might be useful: materials of cookware

• caitlinmagner
    10 years ago

I have found that most people here seem to think that a built in griddle is a waste and that there are enough over-burner griddles out there to serve the same purpose. I think a griddle will be wonderfully useful and we have decided to go with a four burner with a double griddle (48in). Can't comment on it's use, as we haven't even ordered it yet, but I'm glad to see others loving their griddles.

• doctheokie
    10 years ago

If you have a viking rangetop would you buy it again.

• sushipup1
    10 years ago

Yes. At the time, it fit best in the cabinets (modified IKEA). All burners are 15K, which is sufficient for me. My other criteria was open burners. I bought this in 2003. And I would do it again. Not a moment's trouble.