Return to the Appliances Forum

o
What Do You Think? - New Capital Open Burner Range

Posted by odiegirl13 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 3, 10 at 12:17

I have been range shopping for many months and I just learned from Trevor at Eurostoves about a new open burner range from Capital. I was heading toward a Bluestar but I have to really consider this new range. Maybe you guys can help me do a comparison.

There is a website but it is a little rough around the edges because it is still under construction.

http://web.me.com/trevorlawson1/Eurostoves_Capital_Site/Welcome.html

The user name is 'capital' and the password is 'karenlee'.

I think the delivery will be mid-August to mid-September which should work out fine for me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What Do You Think? - New Capital Open Burner Range

I too am planning on a 48" Bluestar but had been jealous of Capitol's rotisserie..and don't they have an infrared grill? Although i wanted a painted range, I will be interested to see more info on this. I am having trouble with the scrolling functions on the site. I am wondering what the price will be compared to comparably-sized Bluestars??

I have plenty of time since we don't start construction for another week. I think I'll need appliances around the holidays.

o

Overall Testing Results according to Eurostoves

Capital Culinarian 28 pts
Bluestar 20 pts
Dacor 14 pts
Wolf 13 pts.

It appears the new Capital blows the BS away. It also offers self-clean oven and glide out racks standard.

I kinda had my hart set on a red Bluestar but cooks is more important than looks.

Really need to see pricing.

o

YAY!!! We can talk about the Culinarian, now. I'm getting a 36" self-cleaning range with 4 burners + grill. I won't get to use it until my house is finished in the early fall, but I'm so excited.

o

I also had my heart set on a red Bluestar but I am trying to be my normally logical, practical self when it comes to picking the best range.

I think the pricing is very similar to the Bluestar. Obviously the rotisserie and self-clean options would add a good bit. Maybe Trevor can chime in here.

I am planning on the 30'' manual clean. I think the rotisserie may be wasted on my mediocre cooking skills.

o

I'm paying $6500 for my configuration. I don't really care about the self-cleaning, but I really want to the rotisserie. It's the same as the other line & I love Trevor's video where he cooks a top round roast on the rotisserie. That is a fairly cheap cut of meat & it comes out great. I've already looked up recipes for making gyro meat.

When Capital came out with the steam assisted electric wall oven with the rotisserie, I thought I would do that plus a Bluestar rangetop. However, I really wanted the Capital grill with the Bluestar open burners. I called up Trevor to talk about the oven & ended up waiting with bated breath for the testing to be completed on the Culinarian so I could have the best of both worlds.

o

I don't think you have to be a gourmet cook to use the rotisserie. ;-)

Like always...Something new and shiny to make the grass look greener... Looking through the tests and features, I could even be swayed toward a range...if this were back a few years and I was still in the market. The Capital Precision rangetop was in my top 3 at the time, and the closed burners were what nixed it for me. Do you think they'd want a home tester who can truly compare to Wolf rangetop and Monogram ovens in everyday use? ;-)

I wish they wouldn't 'sleek their stuff down' to make it look less pro. The rounded styling reminds me of lower end, builders' grade ranges. But I just prefer square, hefty, and bold, so understand that others have other wishes. Performance definitely trumps appearance, but it would make the decision harder for me.

o

I think the rotisserie may be wasted on my mediocre cooking skills.

I have never given any thought to laundry.

I was on here researching kitchen appliances.

My old whirlpool top-loader died.

So I did a little research in the laundry forum.

Learned about front loaders,Persil, STTP etc etc etc.

Bought a Bosch Vision 500 DLX and I get a kick out of how clean and white my whites get.

I think once you have a Culinarian or Bluestar your interest in cooking will grow. You will be encouraged by better and better results.

o

The urge to cook more and to cook better has really been driving my range selection. I am sure there are some people that could do wonders with an electric coil cooktop but I am obviously not one of them. (Stir fry is more like stir boil at my house) I have never cooked on gas so it should be interesting.

It only took me a little while on this forum to realize that I wanted to avoid all of the electronics. Having a range that is simple to repair is the only way I want to go.

I agree about the handles and I wanted my red range... Waaaahhhh! Must think practical, must think practical.

o

Well. something as silly as finally having some ventilation made a big difference, for me. All of a sudden, searing was possible without setting off the smoke detector. Even on my mediocre electric glasstop I can make delicious seared scallops just because we finally put in a dinky Broan pop-up.

I can't wait to be able to sear on the Culinarian with a 1200 CFM remote blower. I've never really bothered to even try stir-fry, but you can bet I will be doing it with my new rig.

I had my heart set on a cobalt blue Bluestar. It would have looked so sweet with my white cabinets, dark granite & white marble. But, I was so put off when I went to see one at a dealership. I loved the look of the cast iron grates & didn't mind that the fit & finish was unpolished. But, it grated on my last nerve when I opened the oven door and heard the creak of metal binding on metal.

The salesman mumbled something about someone having messed with the metal piece that fits on the floor of the oven, so I was willing to try to overlook the bad 1st impression. However, I took DH back there to see it a few weeks later & there was still the creak of metal on metal when DH opened the oven door after admiring the cast iron bowls. I know that was the fault of a sloppy dealer, but bad 1st impressions reinforced by the same 2nd impression is a hard thing to psychologically overcome.

Jo Ann

o

I decided why I like the Wolf/BlueStar look and why I'm not as fond of the Capital...The utilitarian look is dignified and takes it's place as a useful object...Like a clean, white t-shirt, or a navy pea coat. Not ugly in any means, but not at all flashy and begging for any attention past what it gets as a powerful tool. Visually, it takes a supporting rule and is only waiting to serve. The shiny edges and rounded corners ask for more attention and may detract from the cabinetry and other 'looks items' in the room. Of course, that's not quite the same if you're going for red...But it's still more dignified, I think. Still utilitarian but with some attitude. ;-)

Capital has steam-assist electric wall ovens? How did I miss those in my recent oven travels?!

o
Capital Wall Oven

Its easy to miss the oven because it isn't so obvious; they have it under the Maestro series on the website. See the link, below.

I don't think it is a true steam oven, but rather an attempt to inject moisture back in that you don't get from electric vs. gas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Capital Single 30

o
RE: wall oven (OT, sorry)

I never even thought to look on their website for electric wall ovens, because I've NEVER seen one on display in any store, and no salesman ever mentioned it. Shoot. I see that it's a pricey little thing, but it would've been nice to know about it and see one.

o

Have been watching the web site for a few weeks -- is it officially announced?

Trevor gave me a preliminary price for the 30 manual a few weeks ago and it seemed right about the same as the comparable Blue Star which seems consistent with Capital's obvious intentions for the product.

I have been tempted to go ahead and order -- just waiting for a few more details. (wok grate, center grate on the 30, price for a rolling rack). So far it seems really good. The two concerns -- first -- it has grates that sit over a stainless steel drip tray rather than the two-part grate+bowl that Blue Star has. Not sure it will be as easy to clean-- we need Trevor's video. Second, I agree with Rhome -- not sure I like the overall looks as much but I certainly prefer the level of fit and finish. The test data looks really good.

o

To answer some questions.........

The range is officially announced and for sale with del date of Mid Aug - Mid Sept.

Price.... manual clean will be less expensive that Bluestar, self clean more expensive.

Videos, More videos will follow once I get the new burner heads.

So far in the cooking school we have found it easy to clean under the grates, no problem.

Look, fit and finish.... I would agree that the look is not for everyone, some like it a little more aggressive like the Bluestar which is fine. As to fit and finish much better. As I say on the website I would put this up against any range in the US when it comes to fit and finish.

Test data is absolutely accurate. In fact the new burner heads might even improve the capitals performance even more than the current test data page reflects, time will tell.

The rotisserie is just fantastic. very user friendly and with self clean no cleaning nightmares.

You can get a square edged unit more money but possible.

o

Maybe not easier to clean than the BlueStar, but those grates/underbowls have to be better than the Wolf setup. They are likely heavier and more awkward than being in more pieces, but also nice to just have to deal with the one. I can imagine my kids (anyone in the house, actually) being less intimidated about cleaning the range with one piece per burner.

You can get a square edged unit more money but possible.

You're killin' me here, Trevor... These do seem amazing and now you're taking away the looks issue. ;-) Well, when I become ridiculously wealthy enough to replace working appliances, or when we build a new house... Ha!

I'm embarrassed and ashamed of myself. --The absolute height of ridiculous discontent to daydream of trading in my Wolf! I know I was staying away from this forum for a reason... I really do hope you all enjoy this new stove!!

o

Trevor, what do you mean, you can get a square edge unit? Is this a second version? Now you've mentioned this, you can't leave us hanging -- do tell!

o

Well, I guess all those people who accused Trevor of being Bluestar's B!&$% have been proven wrong.

o

Will there be a drop-in cooktop version?

o

Capital used to have a range square corners with a square plate rail, it is still possible to have a unit special ordered, but the price will increase somewhat so it might not be viable

o
RE: What Do You Think?? - New Capital Open Burner Range

deeageaux......I have always said "I promote the BEST cooking range, to fit the customer I am speaking to at the time...."

And still do to this day......Ask me a questions and I will tell you the truth.... rather refreshing for a sales guy

o

I wish I had never seen this post. Just bought my BS and have been enjoying it... but now to see something better just coming out at the same price.

Oh well.

o

Yes Capital can do a drop in cooktop with open burners

o

going through all the videos right now...

Will using this high heat destroy my anolon nonstick pans? Would I have to convert over to a different cook set?

I'd rather get a double oven and drop in cooktop... Trevor... you say they have an open burner drop in cooktop? Easier to clean than the blue star one? I can't seem to find a bluestar drop in cook top on display anywhere (I'm in Los Angeles). Is the price comparable? How is their sealed burner drop in?

o

Trevor, just wondering, is it possible to retro fit the open burners to an existing precision range?

o

I need to make a decision pretty soon here. Are any of you who planned to buy Bluestar (in 190 colors) ready to go with the Capital? I am very torn between the two ranges. Should the issues with Bluestar be enough to push me toward Capital?

And yes, I admit my red range plans were a huge part of my kitchen design. I need some help prioritizing here.

o

Odiegirl,
I am in the same boat. I really wanted a painted range, but this monkeywrench not only would give me the rotisserie that I soooo wanted, but also would likely wipe away any complaints about fit and finish that I might have had.

I must admit I'm not really a fan of 48" all stainless for myself... but I love to cook... a LOT! and I see this as a lot of increased potential.

Here's how I'll deal with this:

1. try not to consciously think about it for a week! Let the shock and awe settle

2. get to a local retailer that carries Capital and see what they look like compare to other all stainless ranges

3. Find out REALLY what the cost difference will be

4. Ponder how important the painted range really was

5. Make decision at last possible second!

o

Oh yeah, I guess I have to add that I'm assuming the grill is at least somewhat superior to the Bluestar? Make another tally mark in the Capital column for me.

I can't believe it. 5ish years planning on a Bluestar and now a month or two from ordering big changes!

Odie, it's a blessing not a curse! Now we have choices!

o
RE: the color issue

I don't know if this will help, or if it will present an option you have, but this is my story:

Fell in LOVE with ranges like Lacanche and especially Britannia. I loved the look of the big hearth type ranges, how they were a big grounding element in the kitchen and they seemed to add such warmth and hominess. I loved the size, the color options, and the overall presence.

BUT, I wanted wall ovens, and, at the time, a ceramic cooktop, so I had to come up with a similar look in an alternate way. So I let the cabinets do it...I arranged them in a certain way around the cooktop and colored them separately so that they created an overall unit that seemed to stand separate from the rest.

Of course, it would be a little different around a range, because you have the door on the front that will still be stainless, but what if you created more of a hearthlike arrangement with your cabinetry and added the color to it instead of the range?

Or, I know, Odiegirl, that your designer friend suggested a red countertop material for your island...So take that color you wanted and add that punch to another location?

After being in my kitchen for 2 years, although I do love how it looks, I rarely notice while in the throes of cooking, and certainly do notice, constantly, the performance abilities of my appliances, especially if there's something they can't do, or don't do as well as I'd like. I now know, I could've been very happy in a bare bones kitchen, as far as appearance, but appliance performance is key, and where I'd spend my money to get it 'right.'

o

odiegirl - I was headed for a Bluestar & now I have a deposit on a 36" Culinarian, so I'll lay out my thought processes.

Stage 1 - wanted a 36" BS rangetop with grill and double wall ovens since this is the most economical way to go & on the "theory" that it meant oven access was easier.

Stage 2 - got really seduced by having a BS range since either garnet or cobalt would look great in my kitchen. Because I need a 2nd oven, this was a more expensive solution & I had concerns with how hot the oven door gets as I will often be standing in front of it to cook other dishes while I have a roast in the oven.

Stage 3 - really, really, really confused & toyed with induction since I wanted to be one of the "cool kids" (& not take cr@p from SIL for going against her advice). This is where I weighed more options and was intrigued by the ceramic grills & Capital's rotisserie. However, wanted to stay with BS open burners, so nixed that idea.

Stage 4 - Capital comes out with the wall oven, so now I can have a BS rangetop for the open burners and the rotisserie and steam assist of the Capital wall oven. However, an expensive way to go & no ceramic grill. Yikes!

Stage 5 - I call Trevor to talk about the Capital oven, etc. & get a "preview" of the Culinarian series. Wow! I can have open burners, plus a ceramic grill and rotisserie. At that point, I gave up on a cobalt blue BS and just waited to see how the Culinarian test data turned out. As you can see, it is just awesome. At that point, the plan was for a Culinarian rangetop, with large & small wall ovens & some capacity to microwave. I went through all kinds of permutations of convection oven + Advantium for 2nd oven, yada, yada, yada.

Stage 6 - figured out that a 24" Fagor was a good bet for a 2nd oven, but when I laid out how that would fit with a larger, 30" wall oven, I realized that the large oven would be about as close to the floor as a range oven & the small oven would be too high for handling hot dishes safely. So, I finally decided on a 36" range with the Fagor at about waist height and a Sharp MW drawer underneath. I am very happy with this choice. I know that I appear to be in the minority, but I like the looks of the Culinarian. With those honking cast iron grates/bowls, I don't think there is anyway that it will be mistaken for builder grade anything. JMVHO

Sorry this is so long, but I know there are others out there trying to make these decisions, so my thought processes in making mine may help.

Jo Ann

o

With those honking cast iron grates/bowls, I don't think there is anyway that it will be mistaken for builder grade anything.

I hope you really know that's not what I meant. :-)

o

Thank you all so much for all of your input. I am leaning toward the Capital for all of the reasons you mention. Thanks for reminding me to remember the cooking experience. My goal in this whole kitchen remodel is to make life better for me in the kitchen as the "chief cook and bottle washer" as my dear Dad says.

Does anyone wish it could just magically appear in your kitchen today? What is wrong with me!

So now the question is... to rotisserie or not to rotisserie... Sure is tempting even with the added $$.

o

I just looked again at Capital range in showroom that I passed out doing errands this a.m. Of course they had no clue about a new model.

I know it's not the open burner model, but I saw the self-clean model next to the manual clean. The rotisserie: If you're a meat eater, why wouldn't you? (of course I haven't seen the price) What a fun option to have.

The doors seem to operate nicer than the Bluestar, not nicer than the Wolf, but that's just gravy. The gliding racks were great on the self clean, but they didn't slide out as far as I would have expected. What's up with that? The manual clean didn't have the upgraded racks.

The island trim is NOT like Bluestar/Wolf. It is a couple of inches high. It will prevent large pans from being pushed way back. Of course, I didn't see the new cast iron grates, so maybe the island trim is different on the Culinarian.

The knob marking looked like they would hold up a bit better than Bluestars.

I wish I could see the top of the Culinaire next to the Bluestar. I'll look at Trevor's site again later.

I'm not ready to let go of the painted look yet though.

o

rhome410 - s'OK, we're cool. I'm just surprised at the reaction to the looks of the Culinarian. As expressed above, the fit & finish of the BS left a bad taste in my mouth, but I was willing to overlook that to get performance. And, I know I'm overly picking in this area. In my line of work, we have very strict standards that our hardware has to adhere to wrt sharp edges, etc. We have to protect against any risk of a crew member getting a cut.

Ahhhh, the rotisserie, I am so looking forward to this. When I was growing up in the 60's, my mom had a tiny kitchen by today's standards, but she did have a countertop electric rotisserie that produced such wonderful roasts. By tradition, I got to choose my birthday dinner & my response was always, "Rare Roast Beef on the Rotisserie". Generally, the roasts were medium well done, but I got to have it my way for my birthday.

When I saw the pictures that Trevor posted of the "joint" from the Capital rotisserie, all those happy memories came flooding back. I could tell that he used an "economy" cut of meat like my mother did & she was always able to make it taste as good as prime rib on that rotisserie. Or so I remember. And the pork roasts that Daddy could make on his outdoor charcoal grill with a rotisserie were indescribably good.

YMMV, but I think I'm getting it, in part, so my future grandbabies can ask me for "Rare Roast Beef on the Rotisserie" for their special days. :^D

Yup, I guess it IS about the cooking.

o

Stage 6 - figured out that a 24" Fagor was a good bet for a 2nd oven, but when I laid out how that would fit with a larger, 30" wall oven, I realized that the large oven would be about as close to the floor as a range oven & the small oven would be too high for handling hot dishes safely. So, I finally decided on a 36" range with the Fagor at about waist height and a Sharp MW drawer underneath.

I just purchased a 24" Gaggenau for my second oven.

Will purchase a 24" Sharp MW drawer to be placed underneath the Gaggenau.

And I will get a 30" AG Range.

But which one?!

o

I always get confused on this issue.

If you are getting a 36" with an additional small wall oven, why don't people get a 48"? I am wondering if I'm making a mistake, is this all about electric ovens and convenient height? Is there something unattractive about a 48"? I feel embarrassed by the Hummer-ness of it, but I think it's gonna work for my layout best, and give me the two ovens I need.

On that note, I need to compare the 2nd oven size of Bluestar vs. Capital. Picked up some dimensions at the showroom so I can do it. Don't want to have a useless 2nd oven.

o
Why 36' Range + Wall Oven

I'm sure getting the 48" range for the two ovens is more economical, but here are the reasons why I'm not doing it:

* Would begin to overwhelm the wall that the range is on.

* Not sure I need two extra burners, although a 24" grill would be nice in the middle.

* With an AG range + electric wall oven config, I can still run the gas oven in the range off the generator when we lose power. We can expect at least one multi-day power loss per winter & didn't want to size the generator to have to run an electric wall oven. Power loss is due to ice storms so we need to stay put, pull a nice casserole out of the freezer, heat it up in the oven & enjoy the fireplace.

* The biggest reason for me not to have a 2 oven range is so that I'm not required to bend over to use the oven. With only two of us, I think the majority of my oven use will be the 24" wall oven at convenient height. When it's time for the gigantic turkey or whatever in the range oven, the young'uns can get it out for me if they want to eat. ;^&

As always, YMMV - Jo Ann

o

Dr Joann.....the Capital Culinarian range has a snake burner gas grill not IR. the reason i went down this road is because I found the holes in the IR grills clogged on occasions with grease and was much harder to clean in general terms. So to generate even heat across the whole grill area the capital uses encased ceramic tubes to conduct heat.

I am very confident the rotisserie is as good as you remember.

Zill.... the IT trim on the Culinarian is the same as you found in your local store. In the short term this range and cooktops will only be available via Eurostoves.

I am working on getting the ranges to be available in color. From the oven you saw in your local store one main difference will be the oven rack while it will roll in the same way, it has been lowered by about 2" to increase capacity, the factory successfully cooked a 23lbs turkey last week which is an improvement by about 5 lbs.

o

Trevor, I was planning on ordering my kitchen suite from you anyway... (you and I have already talked)...does this mean the Culinarian will NOT be featured on Capital's website?

About the grill, so does this one, since it's not an infrared, just equal the Bluestar grill? I never completely understand how they work, I just know it's a misery when they DON'T. And I need that grill to be HOT.

About the racks, did the bluestar racks slide out farther or possibly full extension? What is it about these racks that seem different?

And last, WOW, color??? You are actually on that too? Sounds like Capital is really listening to you on what the customer wants!

o

Trevor - Yeh, I was imprecise in my language. In one of those early stages, I was looking at ceramic IR. I know the Culinarian isn't IR, but that it does have ceramic tubes, so I didn't know what to call it to differentiate from BS. All I know is that I was happy with what I saw on the "hidden" website & your take on how easy it is to clean.

Trevor, yer killin' me talking about color. I do have to have it to the house around mid-September, so I can't wait for color to be offered. But, if there is any way, cobalt blue is my dream. Oh, and DH was really crestfallen when he knew I had given up on BS since he wanted that blue, so badly. Can you believe it?

Hey, I get roast beef (haven't been able to convince him of how lovely a roast of lamb is), he gets grilled steak & we both can have seared tuna with the venting system you advised me to get. Life is good even w/o cobalt blue. LOL!

o

Trevor "In the short term this range and cooktops will only be available via Eurostoves. "

Do you have any more info on the cooktops? Will it just be a rangetop or also and open burner drop in cooktop? I'd rather do a 36" drop in and double oven, but now you've even got me considering a range. I'm driving everyone (and myself) crazy!
Thanks!
heather

o

Drop in cooktops will be available in due course but most probably not in the near future, Rangetops are available now for order.

o

Other reasons why someone may not choose the 48" range: 48" ranges also need 48" or wider hoods. Not everyone has room for that and they can jump up in price quite a bit with the width. There can be a loss of uppers and counterspace, too.

I'm just surprised at the reaction to the looks of the Culinarian. As expressed above, the fit & finish of the BS left a bad taste in my mouth, but I was willing to overlook that to get performance.

I'm with you, and all for great fit and finish, and am impressed with how that's been addressed. I have a Wolf, so don't have the issues that BlueStar has in that way. It's just the chrome and rounded corners of the Capital lines...The 'softer residential look' I think it says on the site. Just don't happen to be a fan...a personal preference thing. Sinks, tables, doorways, windows, counter edges...Whatever it is, I will likely choose the squared choice over an oval, arch, or something 'softened' with rounding. I like the simpler, squarer shapes, and feel the Capital has a more modern, sleeker, less classic/timeless look. JMO.

o

Rhome: Glad to hear some of the issues why someone wouldn't pick a 48" don't apply to me. I'm going for a no or little upper cabinets look anyway. And yeah, the hood does cost more, but I'd only have gone down to a 36" anyway.

I'm not a fan of the rounded curves on the Capital either, I loved the boxy look of the BS, but obiously we're all intrigued by these features.

I need to get my mind off this and on kitchen design!

o

I take it the oven in the 30" range will not take a full commercial baking sheet?

I think the design of the Culinarian is a mix of Fiftees retro and Aughties pro-style.

It will either be the begining of a new trend or something rather unique.

o

I had to look up "aughties"

Not sure if this is different, but the big oven in the 48" precision self-clean series is supposed to.

o

I am trying to imagine how a Culinarian would look in color now that we know color will be available. I wish someone would take an image of the Capital and Photoshop it with a bright color on the door.

o

Is there a still photo of the whole range? The only place I can see the whole front is in a video.

Is there a place in the site I haven't found that tells how many burners of which power come on each range configuration/size and how they're arranged?

o

How does it compare to the bluestar RNB range?

o

If you look at the still photos of the Precision series on the Capital site, those should look the same as the Culinarian. My understanding is that they used the same chassis, and those are the dimensions I gave to my cabinetmaker.

There are two 23K BTU burners which I assume are at the front plus 15K BTU and 8K BTU for a 4 burner configuration which is what I'm getting in a 36" range plus the grill.

HTH - Jo Ann

o
Comparison Test Data

moelarrycurly - if you use the link plus password that the OP gave in the 1st post, you can see all kinds of comparison test data against the Wolf, BS & Dacor.

o

Here is a question: How many times per month do you think I would have to use the rotisserie to justify the $1500 price tag? I have a family of 4 and I will say we eat a good bit of meat. I am going with the 30''. Maybe for our lazy family, the self cleaning feature justifies the added price more than the rotisserie.

o

I would use the rotisserie to cook all chickens, beef joints, pork joints, small turkeys and anything else I could think of. So far I have found the rotisserie to be a very effective way to cook any joint of equal thickness. I have not tried bone in Beef or Pork only boneless.

My next attempt will be 2 boneless legs of lamb with garlic, herbs and spices wrapped inside tied with string.

To try to answer the question "is it worth it" my answer would be..... "if you eat meat yes its worth it" the meat is very juicy more so than regular oven cooking in my opinion, the self clean removes the worry about the mess from the rotisserie and any other spills from casseroles or general oven cooking

o

Wow, Trevor, get Capital to sell this model in colors and it may wipe everybody else off the map! Too cool, I may even stop lusting after a Lacanche in Marrons Glace........!

o

The only thing I should point out about color on a Capital is that the glass in the door is extra large so you get a lot less color on the Capital Culinarian than you do with a Bluestar.

I am pretty sure the range will have the option of color.

o

rhome410....... I have added a couple of pictures showing the full range as it was shipped to me. you can see the these pictures under the Photo Gallery section on the new website.

Please understand the website is not finished yet, so please live with it for a little while, it will improve.

If anyone has the photo shop skills feel free to color one of the pictures I have loaded, so everyone can see what a colored Capital Culinarian Range would look like. Sadly I have limited computer skills....lol

o

Trevor - I might consider the large glass area a plus for color. That way the color wouldn't be as dominant. ... Just a thought ...

Jo Ann

o

It looks like the owners at Capital have come full circle. The original DCS ranges had open burners, cast iron grates/top, & beautiful fit & finish. Then they switched to closed burners & a lot of gimmicky things, IMO. Next they sold the company & started Capital with the ranges having closed burners. Now they're back to open burners & cast iron grates. A good choice, IMO, but for how long?

o

Anitquesilver.... you are abserlutly on the money with your comments above.

DCS owners did follow the trend of sealed burners, the owners did sell DCS, then set up Capital with sealed burners.

Then Bluestar resurrected the open burner range principle to the residential market, Capital have now made a commitment to enter this market.

Capital have no intention of completely changing from the sealed burner market to the open burner, they have simply expanded there offering to include Open Burners.

o

Trevor, is the pricing for the rangetop about the same as their current closed burner rangetop? You've almost even got me considering a range...

I'm not sure if I need all the power of the open burners (I would like to stir fry every now and then), so do you think the Capital sealed burner cooktop would be sufficient? Or is open burner the only way to go?

Thanks!

o

In my mind the open burner is the only way to go, once you cook on an open burner you will never go back.

As to your statement about the open burners having all that power, i have to say its not really about the power its about flame and heat distribution to the base of the pan that counts more than power. and of course even the 23k btu burner can be turned down to a low 150 degree or 2768 btu.

As i say on the website the big burner is there to be tamed not feared, when you want big time power for your Stir Fry you have it, but when you don't want alot of power you can turn it down and still have low even heat.

o

The pricing for the rangetops is about $500 more per unit than the current sealed burner offering.

o

Thanks!! Now I just have to figure out if we can afford the rangetop and the double ovens! Or maybe I reconfigure and go for the range...

o

Hi, I am wondering if the oven size has been enlarged on this range? I have heard complaints about the size on another forum, especially around Thanksgiving time.....

o

Does anyone know if the 36" Capital range will have a 23k btu burner? That was one of my frustrations with Blue Star. In order to get the 22k btu, you had to get the 48" range which was more than what I wanted. Maybe the 22k btu burner could be special ordered on the 36" Blue Star, I don't know......

o

The oven size is the same in this range as the current offering.....BUT... Capital has lowered the lower oven rack by 2" which has made a huge difference to the USABLE capacity. In fact a 25lbs Turkey was recently cooked on the factory.

So I guess the answer is yes the oven capacity is larger on the new Capital Culinarian Range

NEWCAVE..... The Capital 36" comes with 2 x 23k btu burners on all ranges 30" 36" 48" and 60".

Unfortunately you have been misguided about the bluestar, ALL RNB bluestar ranges comes with 2 x 22k btu burners.

o

I think Trevor told me that the 36'' will have 3 x 23k burners, 2 x 15k and 1 x 8k.

o

I tried to log onto the above website and was unsuccessful. Range sounds very interesting.

o

I logged in again without a problem. capital and karenlee for the username/password, right? Try again. If it does not work let's ask Trevor.

o
Logging on

No luck. Just keeps saying connecting and the log on screen pops up again. Tried it with two different browsers. Weird.

o

I have loaded the website to the following link.

Still not a completed website but will be soon.

Here is a link that might be useful: Capital Open Burner Culinarian

o

I did a quick mock up in photoshop of a blue range... not sure if just the doors would be colored or what, just just took a wild guess.
Photobucket

o

hapahaola..... thanks for doing this, you just went up a little high, it will be the doors and kick plate only that will be painted. the same as the Bluestar.

o

maybe something more like this?
Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Trevor,

What is the upcharge for color?

Can I upgrade the 15k burner to 23k in the 30"?

If so how much?

Will the flex-roll racks come standard in the manual clean oven?

If not can you upgrade? If so what is the upcharge?

o

I like it.

Okay, be honest everyone. Do I only like it because I am so desperate to hold onto my red/orange Bluestar color?

I still can't decide about the rotisserie/self-cleaning. Trevor can you tell me more about how the self cleaning works? I understand why it is important to have it with the rotisserie option. Why were you not a big fan of self cleaning before? I am just debating the value of the self cleaning feature on its own.

o

Odiegirl,

Trevor says on the Culinarian website he was not a fan of self-cleaning because high heat and electronics don't mix well.

The self-clean feature in the Culinarian is 905 degrees but the electronics is largely limited.

My EZQue rotisserie for my Weber was $120.It works fantasticly and I live in LA. I don't have many days were weather prohibits me using the Weber.

So, it looks like $1500 and some chance I damage the oven against excusing my laziness in cleaning the oven and adding a few days of the year when I can use the a rottisserie.

Now if you live in New Hampshire......

o

deeageaux - thanks for the analysis. That helps my budget a great deal.

Not LA but ATL so no weather worries here!

o

Answers to Questions

The website is now fully on the web so no need for the user id or password anymore, it is still incomplete but coming along nicely, i will start to add the videos shortly.

As Deeageaux said I have never been a self clean lover, my reason is the extrema heat which damages most range over a period of time, I have also thought that its not totally necessary, remember I am from Engalnd so its not available there to my knowledge. The Capital Culinarian e self clean feature runs at 905 degrees for extended periods of time.

Having said that the Capital is a very simple range with minimal electronics and no digital display. So I feel comfortable with the Culinarian having self clean.

Self Clean is simply extrema heat for a prolonged period of time turning anything into dust.

The advantages of a self clean ovens are, Rotisserie, rolling racks and of course the self clean itself.

The manual does not come with rolling racks nor are they available as an aftermarket item, the self clean uses recessed rails where as the manual clean uses the regular screw to the side rails.

It would appear that color will be running between $300 - $400 right now. Bluestar has a distinct advantage over Capital here, the company that owns Bluestar also owns a paint manufacturing company, so they get free paint and they have a spray booth in the factory in PA so no need to farm out the work.

I will check out how many 23k btu burner you can have on any range, currently all ranges and cook tops come with 2 x 23k btu burners in each corner, 1 x 8k btu burner in the left rear and the remaining burners will be 15k btu.

o

I stopped by Trevor's shop to look at this range and the bluestar, as I was in town, and was considering both for my new kitchen.

After looking at both, it seems the Capital is the (fairly) easy choice. Besides all the tests that you can see on the website, there really is a difference in the fit and finish -- you notice it really when you start to see the odd places that BlueStar has put the seams in the metal, and in things like the way the crumb / grease traps pull out. That said, the handle is massive, much larger than the rest, and the cleaning seems not quite as easy as the bluestar. But neither of these were enough to convince us to go with the bluestar.

Now all we have to decide is 48" rangetop or 60" range.

o

Just when I thought that I FINALLY made my decision - Capital Culinarian rather than Blue Star - I get an email newsletter from Blue Star announcing their new "Inspired by Marcus" line of ranges. They are pretty good lookiing - with french doors and gorgeous colors! I am so glad that it will be a while before I have to make my final choice!

o

Okay, dumb question here. Can anyone explain the rolling racks and what the advantages are? I have an ancient GE wall oven.

o

Somehow my question did not get bumped to the top. Let's see if this does the trick.

o

benself, thank you so much for posting your observations. You must be one of very few people who have actually gotten to see the new Capital range. I would very much appreciate it if you would expand on what you said, specifically that the Capital seems like it might be more difficult to clean. Any other thoughts about the Capital? Details would be so appreciated! So many of us are really interested and want to order but nervous as we will not be able to see it . . . .

o

This thread piqued my interest so I called around to find out where I could actually see this new range, especially as it's not on the Capital website.

Mystery solved: the range Trevor has is a prototype -- not yet approved by UL or other agencies. While it may well be approved as is, I'm told caution is advised until approval is granted since that process can require modifications.

o
Forgot

I also understand that Blue Star is now in the process of shipping a new V1 range that I'm told (again, I like to see and experience these things for myself, in person and I have not done so as yet) has direct ignition and is all the Blue Star issues we read about have been resolved.

o

The Range and Cooktop has approval for sale to the public. The range I have is a prototype that is correct, the range Capital has in the factory is a tested and approved unit.

The only area on the range that needed approval were the burners, because the ovens grills, Griddles, Broiler and ovens all have approval for the current offering, that is why it did not take long. The tests were carried out over a 5 days. All test were passed and in some cases exceeded expectations.

I made the mistake with Bluestar of selling the wall oven before the approvals, I have not made the same mistake with this range.

In fact it performed so well that the clearance from a side wall is only 4" not 6" as with nearly all other pro ranges have.

It amazes me what people will say when they have no idea what they are talking about.

o

What happened to the 30K wok burner that the Precision model had? Did they eliminate this on the Culinarian? No 5 burner configuration on the 30" range?

o

I think that the 23K open burners are good for wok cooking -- i.e like Blue Star's 22 K burners.

The comment above mentioned Blue Star has fixed their problems. That is intriguing. I would have thought that Blue Star and / or Trevor would have been telling us about this . . .

o
Trust but verify

Trevor, my information comes from your distributor. You guys should speak to each other and get your stories straight.

My only interest here is seeing the products and taking photographs -- I don't sell products.

In Manhattan, when major dealers in this town don't have the range to show and don't even know anything about it, there's a story. When it's not on the company website the only way to find out is to call.

This is normal.

The person I spoke to knows what he's talking about and he knows you too. My suggestion is that you call your distributors and settle this amongst yourselves.

o

sayde there have been umpteen blue star threads here detailing various issues which are fairly well known -- a search (if it's working) should turn them up.

Trevor has been extremely forthcoming in acknowledging those, making suggestions, creating a kit, and even going so far as to help people get resolution even when he didn't sell them the range. Above and beyond.

Why I posted about the new Blue Star V1 is because the distributor mentioned that those have been resolved. It came up because I was also looking for a place to also see the new Blue Star Marcus range as well.

o

Rococogurl... As always with all due respect. whoever you spoke to has no idea what they are talking about. I have been working with the owner of the factory to develop this range from a functional point of view and for testing, which has now been completed and passed.

The owners of distribution companies will know about the new range when the Owner of Capital elects to tell them until that timing I guess Capital, the public and myself are the only ones who really know whats going on.

The story is this.....I was approached by the owner of Capital Range Company while attending a show in CT, he asked me why do I sell 50 Bluestar range to 1 capital, I told him because in my opinion the Capital sealed burner does not work as well as the bluestar open burner and been that 85% of cooking is done on the cooktop I will always sell 50/1. I followed that by saying that I have always said that if I could make a dream range it would be Capital fit and finish, Capital ovens and Bluestar cooktop.

At that time he said i will make you one and send it to you so you can test it. Sure enough 2 months later he called and said your range is ready i am sending it to you.

THe range arrived I gave it a good look over and did some test, I reported back my findings, the Owner then sent over one of his engineers to the store for a week so we could work on the range. we worked on the burners the underside of the burners and the spark ignitions system and oven racks.

The engineer went back to the factory made the changes I requested and then arranged for testing by ETL.

Those test are now completed and passed with flying colors. I have today as it happens a conference call with the factory and the distributors to discuss the range, i understand at that time they have the option to stock the range or to give it a pass.

Now everyone know about the birth of the Culinarian range, it was between Capital Range Company and Eurostoves, and did not involve the distributors other than minor conversations about a possible open burner been brought to the market place by Capital.

If you can guide me to who you spoke to I can have the owner of the company give them a call and explain the facts as they are.

o
Accuracy is Always Nice

Trevor,

You are most kind to explain. But there is a difference between 1 prototype and having a range in production with full approvals, ready for market -- particularly when a responsible dealer is making claims about performance to prospective buyers. I hope it all happens and as quickly as you anticipate so the forum will have a full-fledged range-daddy. Capital is also a well-respected brand.

However, I do appear to know what I am talking about and have correct information -- by your own admission.

I spoke to Alno, Capital and Signature this morning. Again, I was just trying to find out where to see this newest culinary wonder and I'd also like to see the Blue Star Marcus range as I'm curious about the oven.

Have you seen/and what's your opinion on the Blue Star V1? That one actually appears to be coming into the market -- a useful fact in this context. I should think you'd be shouting about it from the rooftops as I understand it has direct ignition, a quiet fan, a cool door and amazingly glide-y oven racks.

I know people like me tend to ask inconvenient questions but that's how accurate information gets out.

o

Trevor, thank you for the insight.

I would have given the Capital range consideration if I had not already received delivery of a bluestar.

o

rococogurl......I know nothing about the Marcus range other than what i have read the same as you, I have been trying to get prices, delivery time frame and availability for several days with no luck. If they have fixed the hot doors on this new range I hope they have fixed all ranges, and I understood that they were going to single ignition but I don't know when this has happened on regular ranges. never heard of glide-y oven racks. Bluestar have never asked my opinion on any aspect of any range that I can recall let alone on this range.

I can only shout from the roof if I am told the details. In my opinion its not for people who want to cook, its more for people who want to look, which goes against Blustar's history and my preference for a range.

when I get any info I will post.

o

rococogurl,

I understand and agree with your caution but it doesn't serve Trevor's business to string customers on here. I'll explain why I feel this way.

He is loosing sales by giving us all a preview. I contacted him to get a quote and order a BS range from him about a month ago. He could have easily taken my money right there but instead he told me about this new range. Since I was not in a huge hurry to get it delivered, I held off on my decision. Talking people out of a purchase is not good business unless you honestly believe in customer loyalty and giving people the info to make their decision.

You've participated in enough threads here to know that I've been a very vocal believer of BS open burners. We just bought a new house and it is with a heavy heart that I have to leave the BS cooktop behind. I was all set to buy a BS range in prep for our kitchen renovation so Trevor had an easy sell. Instead, he informed me that he is working with Capital on an open burner range that he said out cooks a BS in early tests. That got me listening but still not convinced. In the last month, we've traded countless emails with him performing additional tests and taking pictures for me. Throughout that whole time, he has encouraged and offered assistance for me to see a live range at his showroom before making my decision. I'd do it in a flash if it were not for the fact I'm in the middle of moving and a renovation project.

So, while I do agree that caution is always a good thing, I don't think Trevor has said or done anything here that would cause me to distrust him. He has answered your questions directly and it's up to you if you believe him or not. I don't think your question is inconvenient, nor do I think Trevor believes it to be. He clearly stated that it was completely approved and it's his reputation on the line if he's lying. IF he had hedged and said something vague or indirect, then I'd share your doubt.

BTW, I don't think he ever said you didn't know what you were talking about. He said the distributor didn't know what they were talking about because they are out of the loop. I'm sure Trevor has some period of exclusivity here for his help in designing, testing, and promoting the range. There's nothing wrong or underhanded about that. It's a pretty standard business practice.

o

Well put.

I've been waiting for this range since last fall, I can wait a little longer. Mr. Kalsi told me about it, and said specifically that he was working on a range that would satisfy Trevor.

o

Is the Blue Star V1 the same as the Inspired by Marcus range or something else?

o

It sounded like a different range entirely when I was speaking to them -- it was mentioned that they were shipping a "new range" but it could well be a model number change. Unclear to me as the v1 only came up incidentally. I was actually asking about the Marcus.

The Marcus specs are on their site and it isn't called the V1 far as I can tell. And there will only be 200 of the Marcuses produced in 2010 according to the website.

It will all sort out once there is actually product to see. I just wanted to do that tomorrow when it was convenient.

o

Good morning! Been on GW a while just not in this area:-) So right off I'm not, or haven't been, a fan of SS appliances, but I detest electronics on a range. That said those open burners and the flame on the new Capital give me cold chills, in a good way, the though of those burners and my All-Clads!!

But the most important thing is it impressed the guy who makes the money, Hubby, and that the grates are cast iron even more so. Since he works in the 'machine world' fit and finish along with form and function are something he pays lots of attention to, we both love to cook.

I also talked with Trevor for the first time yesterday and am quite impressed. Hubby has give the go ahead on the range..I'm so excited I can hardly stand it! I always said wanted a real high end range before I die, looks like it is going to happen.

Will need to get with Trevor again about clearances, the back of the range and a few things since we might have to change the gas line and do some other retro fitting. 1825 house with foot thick brick walls inside and out, sitting on a 3 foot thick sandstone foundation, nothing is easy around here, ever.

o

I will check out how many 23k btu burner you can have on any range, currently all ranges and cook tops come with 2 x 23k btu burners in each corner, 1 x 8k btu burner in the left rear and the remaining burners will be 15k btu.

Trevor,

Any news yet?

o

I checked with the factory this morning. And amazingly the certification range used in the factory (NOT MY PROTOTYPE RANGE) has been certified with ALL burners at 23k btu.

So the answer is as many as you want................

o

HOLY (SEARED) COW!!!!!

o

"I think I'm going to need a bigger hood/blower...."

With apologies to Richard Dreyfuss in "Jaws."

o

Sayde -

Sure, happy to.

I am loathe to speak up because I'm no expert on ranges -- the nicest range we've had before was something from the 70s. But here were my layman's impressions:

+s for the capital:
Better burners (mostly per Trevor's tests on video, but he did replicate the saucepan water boil when we were there)
Hotter broiler (per Trevor's tests)
less expensive than the bluestar (by a little)
Less seams in the SS.
Rounded rather edge on the front rather than a sharp point
rotisserie in the oven
One module for each burner, so that they didn't all try to light when you turned one on
nicer drip tray -- it just pulled out better (fit and finish)
cooler oven door
Nicer racks
Nicer grill (at least according to trevor, we weren't exactly an expert)

-s for the capital
Risk of buying a new product
the oven was slightly smaller (likely going to be fixed because they're lowering the bottom rack maybe). It looks a lot smaller, but measured, it was only an inch or so
The handles on the oven door were massive -- maybe a half an inch thicker than all the other ovens (this is more of a personal choice than a real negative
The grates for the burners were one piece rather than two piece. So, unlike the BlueStar, more of the overflow / crumbs would go through them rather than be caught by them. This makes the crumb rack more important -- and they're still working to move it closer to the burner and give it a lip to hold things better. This was the main thing we didn't like about the "design", but granted, it isn't a huge deal.

Those were just our general impressions. We're still trying to decide 60 in vs 48 in + 2 wall ovens -- gotta figure it out this week, I think

-ben

o

I saw the Capital Precision yesterday.

Same as the Culinarian save the burners/grates.

Love the huge fat oven handle.

But if you are a woman or a little guy maybe it is too big.

The design looks more substantial in person vs the pics.

A litte less feminine, a little more Hummer.

The oven cavity is two inches wider on the BS 30" vs Capital 30".

I guess the Capital has more insulation resulting in less heat into the kitchen but smaller capacity.

I was not impressed with the flex-roll oven racks.

They just seemed ok. I thought they would pull out farther.

I also visted the Capital Distributor in Southern California.

They have a live 60" Capital Precision. They said they will get a live Culinarian soon.

Retail customers are encouraged to come and cook on the range. You don't need to be a retailer or to be accomanied by a retailer.

Capital distributor in Southern California

VHM Marketing 714-523-1511
7050 Valley View St., Buena Park, CA 90620

o

Thank you Deeageaux and Benself. I appreciate it. For those of us making a decision it would be good to know: what fixes are being made by Blue Star -- single point ignition? hinges? insulation? sparkers? ignitors? silk screening versus imprinting on the knobs? and what do the line-build models of Capital look like? Will there be an alternative handle (NXR offers two different ones) for those of us who like the traditional square pro style?

o

Following up everything that I've read so far including recent response to my question on Blue Star fixes, I'm trying to make a decision between Culinarian and Blue Star. My personal tally of + and - --I emphasize personal, YMMV

Blue Star +
The burners -- still the best design (I think) considering cleaning and looks as well as performance -- IMO --????
The look of the stove. Love it or hate it -- I think it looks like a Viking on steroids and I like it
You can get a rolling rack
I don't really care about the huge oven or color but mention anyway.

Blue Star -

Still some concerns about the oven, the fit and finish, silkscreened knobs.
Hot door. For me, minor.
Still some concerns about customer service but I would buy from Eurostoves and trust that I'd be OK
The hinges and the clicking should be over . . . .

Capital +

Great fit and finish. Very important. Very.
Burner performance is fabulous but is cleaning as nice as Blue Star? From a looks perspective, IMO Blue Star wins and it is just a subjective design thing -- Capital is more nicely made, for sure. The old Garland burners just have a magical allure. May-be if I saw Capital in person I would change my mind. Anyway, the Capital burners are still a big, big +.

For many folks, the rotisserie and the self clean would be (are) major benefits that Blue Star doesn't have. But not to me. I would be opting for the manual clean version. I hate to clean my oven so much that any messy meat goes outside on the Green Egg, even in the depth of winter.

Capital -

No rolling rack on the manual clean (minor. I can live with the regular racks).

The big thick handle on the oven. This would be minor to most people but to me it just matters. A square handle would be a game changer. Crazy, I know.

It's going to be one or the other and I will have to decide soon. Any other thoughts out there ?

o

I have the exact same comparison running through my head and unfortunately I am really stuck as well. Like you, the handle is really throwing me off. I know it is silly because it is actually for cooking and not looking, but I just can't help it. I think I just am so used to the Bluestar looks that I am having a hard time switching.

Another silly point is the color. I had one of the 190 colors picked out and I am having a hard time giving it up. I am kind of waiting to see what color options Capital comes up with.

I am a little concerned about delivery. Will they be able to deliver mid-August to September as promised.

I am looking forward to hearing about everyone's decisions out here.

o

sayde,

I think the Culinarian has the better burner,more even heat,more BTU plus hidden ignitor. No cracking the ignitor while cleaning.

Bluestar has the better grates. Pull and drop in a wok is cool.

Bluestar has old school/Julia Child Garland street cred. ROTFLMAO

Design is a flip for me.

Bluestar is

Capital is

Different.

Bluestar is more in your face bold.

Capital is more subtle.

Both American Originals.

o

Very helpful post deeageaux. Have you made up your mind yet?

o

Before I pull the trigger I will need to see a Culinarian in person.

The left side of my brain says get the more effective higher quality range.

The right side of my brain says; R U Nuts? quench the lust you have had for sooooo long.

Will I be able to pick a Culinarian door oven and toekick from all 190 RAL colors Bluestar style or will I have to pick from a half a dozen or so colors Bertazzoni style?

I think the Culinarian will be priced $500 above the Capital Precision and maybe $100 below the Bluestar once color is added. But we don't really know yet.

Since my kitchen is not falling apart it will probably be parylisis by analysis. I will wait to see how things work out with these new Bluestar VI upgrades and see reviews of Culinarian owners. And remodel next spring.

Although the original plan was blow up the kitchen as I write this.

o

Well, I have put off my remodel as long as I can. I hope to order around the first of July and install somewhere around the first of September. I may be without a range with the Capital but if I decide on it, I can wait. I might get used to life with a toaster oven, crock pot, MW and grill.

I guess it is good to have choices.

o

The timing of this conversation is perfect, and I very much appreciate the inputs many of you have contributed to it. My wife and I just finished designing a house that we plan to build this summer on the edge of a lake in southeast Orlando, and while we're both enthusiastic cooks, I get to spec the kitchen appliances. :-)

I had pretty well determined to get a Bluestar range when the Culinarian topic popped up.

And while I'm sure I could be deliriously happy with either a BS or the Culinarian, I have to confess that I think occasionally in terms of possible resale that the Capital might be easier on the eyes of your average homebuyer eyeballing what realtors love to call a "gourmet kitchen." The industrial strength look of the BS just says "serious about cooking" to me, but I'm afraid that it might be a bit too purposeful for Joe and Jane Doe, homebuyers.

Well, no matter. By the time we're ready for the range, the Capitals should be in the marketplace, whatever the latest Bluestar improvements are will be disclosed, and I'll have a difficult but happy choice to make.

o

The timing of this conversation is perfect, and I very much appreciate the inputs many of you have contributed to it. My wife and I just finished designing a house that we plan to build this summer on the edge of a lake in southeast Orlando, and while we're both enthusiastic cooks, I get to spec the kitchen appliances. :-)

I had pretty well determined to get a Bluestar range when the Culinarian topic popped up.

And while I'm sure I could be deliriously happy with either a BS or the Culinarian, I have to confess that I think occasionally in terms of possible resale that the Capital might be easier on the eyes of your average homebuyer eyeballing what realtors love to call a "gourmet kitchen." The industrial strength look of the BS just says "serious about cooking" to me, but I'm afraid that it might be a bit too purposeful for Joe and Jane Doe, homebuyers.

Well, no matter. By the time we're ready for the range, the Capitals should be in the marketplace, whatever the latest Bluestar improvements are will be disclosed, and I'll have a difficult but happy choice to make.

o
Double Post

Sorry for the DP. No idea why the second one appeared after I had shut down and relocated to my hotel room, waking up the computer more than thirty minutes later.

I looked at the FAQ and instuructions for how to delete/edit a post, but struck out.

o

The real beauty here is there is now two open burner top of the line ranges to choose from. Choice is good. Our Kenmore was at the time the top of the line and it cooks well enough. However time to move on and get away from the electronics which we have had to replace the back panel twice, thank you repair clinic that provided the parts and hubby who fixed it himself.(Sears wanted a fortune)

Personally the more rounded look suits me and I used the dimensions of the Capital P to check the oven on the Kenmore. I will give up a bit in over all height and width, but gain more depth>> Which is important to me. Cleaning can't be worse than the KM which is a royal PITA.

Besides the new Capital just feels right, I wasn't planning on getting a new range at this time. I'm a trust your gut kinda person:-)

o

Odie girl, I think it is for cooking and looking. I don't accept the premise that one must make a trade off. And good design shouldn't necessarily cost more either! (Fit and finish -- that's costly, another story, and worth it).

Capital seems to have been extraordinarily responsive in delivering what the customer wants so I trust they will listen to the voices who are asking for a nice straightforward handle -- hefty is alright-- just change the brackets!

o

Which one, if either, has the lower available simmer?

o

Blustar marketing says its 10k simmer burner can hold 130 degrees. Most post I see say that is not the case. Although it is usually the case that it is whiners that post more. More like 180 degrees is what is reported by owners.

In Eurostoves test the Capital 8.5k simmer burner holds 138 degrees.

o

Can you trade in stoves like cars??? I have the Capital Precison, comes with extra set of pink knobs....less than a year old....ok, ok, that's fine, I still really like my range.

I will say I've been very happy with Capital's customer service. Although they haven't responded to my email about why are the cabernet knobs pink....maybe soon I'll hear from them.

Good luck to those who are trying to make this decision.

o

OK a quick poll in the store on the color of these knobs staff and customers said

Brown Red
Burgundy
maroon
Pinky red
Oxide red
Claret violet

Clearly with such a diverse response this is a useless post....lol

o

Simmer range is considered to be 138-140 degrees. 180 is curdle territory for delicate sauces like bearnaise or creme anglaise or something like lemon curd. get up around 160 and eggs unprotected by starch will begin to lump up. butter separates between 160-180F. For reference, semisweet chocolate without additional butter or oil can seize about 110 -- the same range of temperature for liquid used to proof yeast.

o

this link takes you to the page where you can see the optional square end caps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Square End Caps

o

Posted at Sayde's request

o

Thank you rococogurl.

I think these look better than the rounded brackets -- not sure they look $200 better but most certainly better. Now, I would love to see the range, with these brackets, in black.

o

Trevor,

Do you think you will sell 50 capital ranges to 1 bluestar now? Maybe a different ratio like 30 to 20? 25 to 25?

o

Moelarrycurly...... To be honest it all depends on what the customers wants and needs are.....It will however be a nice change to give our customers the option of two open burner ranges Capital or Bluestar....

We can see from posts above there is a place for both brands to thrive in a growing sector of people who love to cook. Both brands offer different things to different people.

And I think our experience and knowledge in the open burner market allows us to advise customers correctly, so the customer purchases what fits them best.

I guess only time will tell.

o

The range sounds like a dream. It doesn't look like one to my eyes. I think 4 changes could possibly fix the aesthetic issues I have with it:
1) a squared off oven door handle, as mentioned above.
2) a windowless oven door--hopefully this will be an option down the road.
3) solid colour knobs without the chrome strip.
4) i'd like to see its feet, preferably on casters.

o

If you do 1,3 and 4 as wolfgang80 proposed, you are approaching the look of the Wolf Dual Fuel -- not a bad thing!

I personally like the squared off look but I think the new handle brackets and may-be solid black knobs with deep metal ferrules would get Capital about 80% there.

o

beekeeper - whatever happened with the grates (I think that was you).

I am also curious about a trade-in.

o

My question is about the interior dimensions of the oven. After 4 years with a Bluestar we have moved to a new house without one. Our plan was to get another Bluestar as soon as we had the funds available. With the new Capital range it's no longer so obvious.

Between the 23K btu burners and the rotisserie we're rather interested in the Capital, but is the Capital oven as large as the Bluestar? Will the 30" Capital range fit a full 18x26" sheet pan? If not, this would be enough to keep us in the Bluestar for our next Range purchase.

o

Will the 30" Capital range fit a full 18x26" sheet pan? If not, this would be enough to keep us in the Bluestar for our next Range purchase.

The 30" Culinarian will have a 24" wide oven cavity.

The 36" will have a 27" wide and 21" deep oven cavity.

So 30" NO, 36" Yes.

o

scott_s....not wanting to drag this thread off-topic, but I am curious, why do people want the full sheet pan in the oven? Do you really use a full sheet pan to bake - and if so what for? Also, if you do use a full sheet does it impede the air circulation/temp control of the oven at all? I do use a half sheet, but I guess I am not really a cookie person so never need to go full - mind you I have just spent 16 years with an ancient single 27" electric wall oven so I was quite used to repeat small batches etc. Just wondering... thanks...

This new range does sound fabulous...people looking remodel/purchase this summer are certainly spoilt for choice what with the rumors of the new updated Bluestar aswell.

o

Does anyone know the dimensions of the oven cavity on the 30'' and the 36''? Just curious. My current oven is tiny!

o

Does anyone know the dimensions of the oven cavity on the 30'' and the 36''? Just curious. My current oven is tiny!

They are both 21" deep and 14" high.

30" Range has 24" wide oven cavity.
36" Range has 27" wide oven cavity.

They can both take a 25 lbs Turkey.

o

I love what I am reading about the functionality of this range. It is a very strong contender for our remodel this fall/winter.

There are just a couple of items that bug me aesthetically. I would really like to see the legs on the oven rather than having a rectangular metal panel flush with the floor. (Is that a storage drawer or just a panel?)

I would also prefer a more squared off handle like the Wolf, as it would blend better with other appliance and hardware choices. The angled brackets being offered as an option are acceptable, but the $200 upcharge is not.

Solid black knobs without the chrome would also be nice, but that is not as big an issue for me as the legs and the handle.

o

Count me as another that has some pretty major hang-ups with the appearance. It just has too much gleam for me with the handle and the knob appearance. I really think this is the best range for me, but I can't get over the looks (which is odd for me). It needs to look more basic, less fussy. Can't justify paying more for a simpler handle either.

o

Cooks trumps looks.

o

As we know Capital can change the handle ends to the square style in the photo's above.

When it comes to the knobs they are what they are....sorry

However I understand that black knobs can be purchased by anyone as an after market item.

o

Trevor - I feel as if I have slit my own throat by suggesting that the cabernet knobs come standard on the Culinarian.

If the knobs were to look like those on the Capital website, then lovely:

Capital Cabernet Knobs

If they are like the ones on the Eurostove website, not so much:

Eurostoves Red Knobs

And if they are like the ones that beekeeperswife is putting up for sale on eBay, then I am singularly unimpressed:

Beekeeperswife Knobs

I've stayed out of the fray wrt to the looks of the Culinarian that I have happily committed to purchase one of the first to roll off the line. I rather fancy the way it looks. However, after all the effort that has gone into planning this kitchen with classic white cabinets, marble, etc., etc., I would be reluctant to have it spoilt by those hideous knobs.

For a company that is trying to promote the idea of a "bespoke" range, it is grating that the black knobs, which are standard on the other lines, are an upcharge on the Culinarian when they can't cost them a dime more. Its like paying protection money to the mob so that those unfortunate red knobs do not appear in my kitchen to ruin it.

bl**dy h3ll!!! (slinks off in the corner to mutter & grumble) b*ll*cks!

o

How did I miss the black knobs being an upcharge?

o

I think there might be some confusion that Trevor can clear up with a single post I'm sure. The "black" knobs that are talked about as an upcharge item is the solid black (no chrome stripe). As I understood it, the black (with chrome) is standard on the range.

Trevor, please correct or explain.

o

I think when Trevor said "black knobs can be purchased. . ." he meant all-black knobs like on Wolf or Viking. Someone had objected that the standard knobs on Capital are a steel with black inserts instead of all black. The red knobs are not the default knobs! The ones that "come with" the range are metal with black inserts.

o

Dr Jo Black knobs (similar to most other ranges) are not an up charge they are simply not available.....

The Grey knobs are standard on the Culinarian range as per most pictures on the Culinarian website, but you can change to the red ones at no cost should you wish.

I don't think any of the pictures are a true reflection of the real color of the Red /Cabernet / Maroon knobs.

I don't think that Capital are trying to promote themselves as a "Bespoke" company, and I hope I have not painted them as such. They are however trying to accommodate SOME of the wishes of the Garden Web Posters which is a good thing. If they tried to accommodate everyone the spec book would be huge and unaffordable.

Anytime anyone asks for something different companies charge for that change, be it Bluestar, Wolf or anyone else.

o

Umm, when Trevor was polling the "previewers" for ideas to take out to CA when he went to Capital, I suggested that the cabernet knobs be the standard for the Culinarian rather than an upcharge to distinguish it from the other lines. He really liked the idea & planned to have it implemented.

If the black knobs with the SS stripe are the Culinarian standard, I'm fine with that. I just don't want to have to pay more to rid myself of the pukey "pink" ones.

Well, at least I didn't have to dig deeper into my British cuss words. LOL!!!!

o

A flurry of posts

Chrome with Grey Insert...... standard
Chrome with Red Insert........ optional at no charge
All Black knobs ..............Not available from Capital.

o
RE: What Do You Think??? - New Capital Open Burner Range

Dr Jo when you suggested the red knobs as standard, I took that to Capital, they agreed to offer them as a non chargeable option, but did not agree to have them as the standard knob.

Normally the red knobs are an up charge for Precession line.

Sorry for the confusion.......

o

Trevor - Ah, OK, then I will stick with standard black. I like the cabernet from the Capital website, but I don't care for what it transmogrified into when they became the red knobs that are shown on your website.

Thanks - Jo Ann

o

I don't think that Capital are trying to promote themselves as a "Bespoke" company, and I hope I have not painted them as such.

From a page on the Eurostoves Culinarian site (and in large red font):

"Capital is a very bespoke company and as such if you have any special requests or configurations they will do all within their power to come through for you."

??
:-)

o

Gardenweb limits threads to 150 posts. Odiegirl or another will need to start a new thread for this discussion. Personally, I begin to suspect it all as "too good to be true."

Will it be long before the posts start to roll in about how the oven whistles at you when you do not wear appropriate kitchen attire or pots melt to the grates and set off your Geiger counters? People's cats will begin to disappear, Grannie's pacemaker goes haywire, and suddenly the folks at Capital won't return anyones phone calls unless Trevor calls them and threatens to send the Boondock Saints over for a chat! Where will it all end? Not this thread, that's for sure!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here