Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
refrigerator reliability?

Posted by rockandroller (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 18, 12 at 12:13

Our fridge is always too full... we live a ways out of town, and like to go shopping no more than once every 3 weeks.

So, the fridge is so full of "stored" stuff that my wife has no room to put away "cooked" stuff!

Ergo, we plan to buy a second 'storage' fridge to keep downstairs. I'd love to have just one giant fridge upstairs, but there is not enough space...

Anyway, the question is - whats a RELIABLE and ENERGY EFFICIENT fridge that is AFFORDABLE? I am bothered by all the manufacturers offering ONE YEAR WARRANTY as standard! A fridge should last 20 years, right?

Seems "ENERGY STAR" design makes for a less reliable and noisier fridge! Since we have to put it downstairs, noise is not such an issue. But I don't want to be buying another one in a year or two...

Any comments or suggestions are very welcome. We're in Atlantic Canada, so our choices are probably limited to LG, Samsung, Frigidaire, Whirlpool, Maytag, GE and whatever Sears is hawking these days...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: refrigerator reliability?

KitchenAid offers a 5-years full warranty (labor included) on the sealed system components, then 5 years more parts-only (labor not included). But their models are upscale SxS, counterdepth, and French door ... not so much in the "affordable" range.

Thing is, KitchenAid is Whirlpool, so one can (maybe) presume that the mechanical components are largely the same between the Whirlpool brand labels. Longer warranty is likely part of the higher KA price-line.

My suggestion is check for the lowest-price topfreezer unit that meets your need for size, on the Whirlpool or Kenmore label. Try to confirm if the Kenmore model(s) of choice are sourced from Whirlpool (remember, Kenmore is a brand-label only) -- the first three digits of Kenmore model numbers (before the period) indicate the manufacturer. Translation of the codes can be found online, below is one source:

Here is a link that might be useful: Kenmore Manufacturing Codes

o

If you just want an all fridge model, this Kenmore is awesome. Ours has been in use for 6 or 7 years now with absolutely no problems & plenty of storage space. It's pretty basic and runs ~$500, although with certain sales, you can get it for around $450.

Hope this helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: Kenmore Freezerless Refrigerator

o

I suggest avoiding GE refrigerators. Search for my other post, "Young GE refrig, endless repairs," and you will see my experience with a GE unit. Long story short - in less than 2 years, I've paid almost as much in repairs as the full price of my GE side-by-side, which came only with a one-year warranty.

o

GE and Viking refrigerators have the worst reliability reputations. Multiple appliance stores I have visited have all said they would not recommend either even though they sell both. They know that a customer that is buying high end will be on them for repairs and problems and they would just as soon not have to deal with those problems.

o

In my fridge research I've been impressed with Samsung and LG so far. Their mid/high-range lines have pretty good warranties on the "sealed system" -- compressor, evaporator, etc. I haven't bought either of them yet, but the ones I've messed with at the local appliance store seem well built.

Laura

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here