Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rattling from refrigerator .... help!

Posted by jellytoast (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 12:13

Can someone tell me what is housed within this box? It is the white box in the picture that sits on the back wall (not the control panel in the front). A rattling, vibrating noise is coming from inside the box when the fridge is running. If I press on the box, the noise stops.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rattling from refrigerator .... help!

Possibly a fan, but parts diagrams can be checked to confirm what's back there if you provide the specific brand and model number of your unit.

o

It's a Kitchenaid French door. I did find a parts diagram online, though it was for a previous model. The part is listed as a "control" but to what, I'm not sure. It might possibly be a damper ...? There is also a part called "insulation" inside there, then the cover, and it looks like that's it. Would a "control" have any moving parts on it that would cause it to vibrate and rattle?

This post was edited by jellytoast on Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 16:48

o

There's a gerbil in there on a wheel - that's what makes the refrigerator work :-)

o

You don't say how old the refrigerator is but they used to put the defrost timer in that area. It has a motor, gears, etc. and can make the noise you're describing

o

weissman, you don't know how badly I want that to be true.

jakvis, the refrigerator is brand new.

I called and there was an opening for a service guy to come out tomorrow, so they mystery will be solvedI'll make sure he gives the gerbil a treat while he's in there greasing the wheel.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here