Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunnybunch

Counter Depth Refrigerators

sunnybunch
9 years ago

Hi,
I have narrowed down my choices for french door counter depth to Kitchen aid or Jenn Air. First several places I visit give me the specs for KA model KFCS22EVMS which is the architect series II but the model online I like is the Pro Line model KFCP22EXMP so I need to call them back and get quote on pro line. Not sure why they don't recommend the pro line but I can't really see a diff between them. But then I saw yesterday the Jenn Air JFC2290VEM which had these really industrial handles I didn't like but she said I can change the handles. I guess Jenn Air is a step above Kitchen aid but not sure it makes sense in diff of price $300 more when I read they are all made by whirlpool anyway. Does anyone have the Jenn Air? thanks again

Comments (18)

• lonsdajk
    9 years ago

I have the LG (which is similar to the Kenmore) , Just love it. One warning though. If you have thru the door ice, it is a very small container and if you use a lot of ice, you could run out

• lonsdajk
    9 years ago

I have the LG (which is similar to the Kenmore) , Just love it. One warning though. If you have thru the door ice, it is a very small container and if you use a lot of ice, you could run out

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

KA a d JA are the same company. Buy the cheapest one, and it'll have the same guts.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

" ... but the model online I like is the Pro Line model KFCP22EXMP so I need to call them back and get quote on pro line. Not sure why they don't recommend the pro line but I can't really see a diff between them."

The difference is the handles and you will pay more for them.

" ... But then I saw yesterday the Jenn Air JFC2290VEM which had these really industrial handles I didn't like but she said I can change the handles."

Make sure you verify the "she said" with the manufacturer. I was told by a salesperson that handles on an appliance I was interested in could be exchanged for different ones, but learned from the manufacturer that it wasn't true.

• dodge59
    9 years ago

That's why many of us buy fridges that can be paneled.

I have a 48" built in and paneled Jenn-Lux.

A JA fridge with Electrolux handles, and NOOOOO
    freaking stainless to clean, like our old fridge Yeahhhhhh!

Gary

• User
    9 years ago

I have an LG - purchased last summer. Love it. Having the ice in the door is a big space saver. In my area (Toronto), LG does their own service. When I had a problem with the Ice Dispenser - the LG tech came out and basically just replaced the entire Dispensing unit. No questions asked (also wanted to replace the main board...just in case!). Amazing service.
    I've had issues with my KA oven and Dishwasher - and they use contracted tech's, who really have a totally different attitude. My DW has leaked twice in the past few months, but because they can't replicate it - won't touch any of it.

So I would suggest having a comfort level with the service each of them provide in your area.

• shaking
    9 years ago

I just got the KA one you are looking at and honestly it's not worth the price. Don't get me wrong, it's nice an all but if I knew then what I know now I would have just gone with whirlpool since they are the same fridge. Paying more for bells and whistles just isn't worth it. Trust me. Either go up to Jen Air or down grade to whirlpool and save money. My friend got a whirlpool and its identicle to my KA only cheaper!

• kjente
    9 years ago

We just bought the Jenn-Air. It was an easy decision, with the Jenn-air rebate it was just a tad less than the kitchen aid and the rest of the appliances that came with our new house are Jenn-Air.
    The only difference between the Jenn-Air and the Kitchenaid you list the name banner. They roll off the same production line. Get the one that costs you least.
    I'm very hopeful we will love these appliances. We will have a 36 inch Jenn-Air induction cooktop, a 30 inch convection oven, and the microwave/convection oven, and a dishwasher in the mix. The Jenn-Air does have both the euro handle and the professional handle. The different is the last three characters of the model number. We got the euro handle (also 100.00 less). I believe the euro model ends in WEM.

• jwjensen356
    9 years ago

We had settled in on the KA KFCS22EVMS but my wife was not keen on the curved bar handles. By Googling I found that KA has a Pro-Line version of the same fridge (for about $100 more). By the pictures she said she liked that one. I went to our local dealer (we had initially gone to Lowes to look) and found they had a Viking one for about the same price as the KA Pro-Line and it has the pro-looking handles. The knowledgeable salesman confirmed that the Viking one is made by KA (I had read that some Viking fridges were made by KA/Whirlpool). He then said Bosch will be doing the same thing, buying this particular KA model and rebranding it. I bought the Viking fridge (it also has a 3 year warranty compared to the 1 year basic KA warranty).

Now, here is the really interesting part that I found out after more Googling. There are other versions of this same KA fridge that are branded for:
    Whirlpool (obviously part of the family)
    Jenn Air (JFC2290VEM, also part of the Whirlpool family)
    Bosch (B22CT80SNS)
    Viking (VCFF236)
    Dacor (EF36BNNF)

And from what I read I believe these refrigerators are manufactured at the Amana factory (part of Whirlpool).

Confusing, well not really. There is nothing sinister about this and rebranding is done in many industries; automobile, camera, consumer electronics and others.

I believe that the other brands are looking at a way of quickly offering a fridge that is 72" high and fits into a 'built-in' space. We got this new one for about 1/3 the cost of a replacement Sub Zero (ours was in its last gasp stage after 27 years, but still working). The added space above (where the Sub Zero compressors were) is now cabinetry.

• alerievay1
    9 years ago

Yes, they are all basically the same. There are differences in the fit and finish, though. Honestly, I can't remember which features each has, but LED lights are on some but not all, and the drawers are much nicer on some models than others.

• jwjensen356
    9 years ago

It looks like you can add Maytag's (again part of Whirlpool family) MFC2062DEM to the list. And it has a lowball price of $2199 MSRP on its website.

• fauguy
    9 years ago

When our kitchen remodel was done in 2006, we went with a KA side by side counter depth (25 cu ft). Since there's not a lot of space in the kitchen, we went with the counter depth so it wouldn't stick out the 6-8" that is common with standard depth. This unit is also 72" tall. Now we are thinking about replacing it next year with a French Door counter depth, but they are only 68-69" tall leaving more of a gap at the top.

• rgillman
    9 years ago

Need a narrow(27"-30") counter-depth fridge for my apartment renovation in small kitchen. LG? Summit? Samsung? Any experience with any of these??
    Thanks!

• jwjensen356
    9 years ago

Fauguy, I just went and measured our Viking (nee KA) and it measures 71.5" from floor to top of door.

• fauguy
    9 years ago

What was the model # of that Viking?

• jwjensen356
    9 years ago

VCFF236

Note the old Sub Zero grill above it. That is the (now empty) space where the compressors were.

(Sorry for the somewhat blurred image)

• mayflower1032
    9 years ago

"Need a narrow(27"-30") counter-depth fridge for my apartment renovation in small kitchen. LG? Summit? Samsung? Any experience with any of these??
    Thanks!"

I have a Samsung counter depth french door...HATE it. HATE HATE HATE. It is too small, you lose way too much space. And I hate the french door with the freezer on the bottom layout. The freezer becomes a pit that makes finding things miserable. I miss my old refrigerator with the freezer on the top. At least I could stack and find things easier.

• rgillman
    9 years ago

Thanks, Mayflower. I'll opt for a top freezer -- this is a small apartment kitchen, and a snowbird one, at that. I will stay away from Samsung. I appreciate your input!

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH