Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jencjudd_gw

Sharp, Wolf or Dacor Micro Drawer?

jencjudd
14 years ago

Oh my, for a relative "newbie" here, I am wearying all the GW forums with questions. I sure hope I get to a point sometime where I can offer help, rather than beg for it. :)

This one should be *relatively* easy...I realize all microwave drawers are made by Sharp; I have no experience with their customer service, etc., etc. Don't know if it would be different for the other brands.

What it basically boils down to is this:

Per my builder, I can get a Dacor for a decent price. The Sharp comes in about $100 less, the Wolf, about $350 more.

I'm going to have a Wolf range in close proximity to the micro (and, unfortunately, can't stick the micro in the island, so it will be visible to passersby in the house).

Should I just save the $100 and get the Sharp? Or get the more "premium" Dacor with cleaner styling? Or, match my oven's SS with the Wolf? Is that even worth $350?

It will be amazing if I complete this build, given the fretting I do over something as small as a microwave.

Thanks for your help!

Jen

Comments (18)

• guadalupe
    14 years ago

Sharp is the only maker of the micro draw, you would simply be paying for Dacor or Wolf cosmetics.

• erikanh
    14 years ago

I paid $739 for my Sharp drawer. I didn't consider the Dacor because I assumed it was a lot more expensive, but I love its sleek appearance. If I could have gotten the Dacor for $839, I would have gone for it.

• jencjudd
    Original Author
    14 years ago

guadalupe, you are right about paying for cosmetics; however, I was just in an appliance store again today, and the salesperson pointed out the fact that Dacor still has that button-push open and close, while Sharp has the gentle, pull-on-drawer open and close (which I definitely like better, given my kids). Although I thought Sharp had a variety of models with different open/close options?

erikanh, you are right, the Dacor is a lot cleaner-lined. And $100 more isn't an exorbitant amount, obviously. But those little bits do add up to a lot, so I guess I just need to decide what it's worth to me. Not sure it's worth paying the extra $$ for the Wolf. Have you been happy with the drawer micro, overall?

Off to research some more...thanks for those prompt responses!

• erikanh
    14 years ago

I think that Sharp may have discontinued the push-button open/close models because they were breaking when people pulled on the handles by mistake. The Dacor doesn't have a handle for anyone to accidentally pull on right? Oh, and I just remembered that Sharp has the new model now that is taller on the inside but takes up the same amount of room. Does Dacor have those too?

I really do like my Sharp. I just missed the new taller version which would have been even nicer. Also, I just remembered that I got a $50 rebate, so the cost ended up being less than $700.

Good luck with your decision!

• jencjudd
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow, thanks, erikanh...you prompted me to look closer at the model details. Yes, Sharp's newest has more interior cubic feet, lower walls (that supposedly make it easier to clean the microwave ceiling), AND, you can push a button to open it or just grab the handle. Wolf and Dacor aren't yet up to speed with this newest model, so they still have the 1.0 cubic feet, etc.

Well! I think I've made my decision, based on those details. :) Silly me, that's what I get for just listening to Joe Schmoe Appliance Store Worker. But luckily, I had the sense to come and post here! Thanks SO much, erikanh. You just helped me get one decision made and off of my plate! Sharp it is. :)

• homepro01
    14 years ago

I wanted to mention something and I don't know how it may apply to you or not. Sharp requires you to take the microwave to a service center. Dacor will come out and service the unit in your home. I learned this a few weeks ago when my Sharp Microwave stopped rotated. It is a relatively simple fix that maybe should cost about $50 to fix. The service center requires that I bring in the microwave and there was no one who would fix the microwave in my home. I would have been more understanding if it had to do with the magnetron. I have been considering the Sharp Micro drawer as I update my microwave but I will look more closely at the Wolf and Dacor for this reason. I know the drawer does not have the rotating platter but the service issue gave me pause. I contacted a Dacor servicer in my area and they refused to touch the Sharp but if it was a Dacor, they would have come out for the cost of service call and fixed the microwave. My local service center has a two week lead time for the microwave to be returned.

Good luck!

• jencjudd
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks homepro1 for the tip...my only question is, how in the world could you possibly get a micro drawer out of your cabinet to even take it to the center??? It weighs over 100 lbs, and doesn't it attach somehow into your cabinetry? Is your micro a countertop design? Surely they have someone who could come out for a built-in?

If not, then you are right, that is more than just a cause for pause...it's a cause to run away!

Ai yai yai...I think I'm ready to go live in a hut and cook over an open fire!

Anyhow, thanks for letting me know about your experience. After all that headache, did you get your microwave fixed (or are you still waiting for it to be returned)?

Thanks!

• erikanh
    14 years ago

jen, you're right, the MW drawer is screwed into your cabinetry. I have no idea how I would take it out if I needed to. Plus like you said, I watched the guy when he was installing it and it's obvious that's it's very heavy.

I'm going to call the showroom where I purchased all my appliances and ask about this.

• homepro01
    14 years ago

Jen,
    I did get the microwave fixed. I have a R930CS which is built in but it was easy to deinstall because the kit is just a slide in. The service angle is really something to think about with the microwave drawers. I really would like one in my design but I have to do some more research about the repairs if they are needed.

Good luck!

• lascatx
    14 years ago

Not sure what is going on with homepro01 (sounds like that was not a micro drawer since that is still under consideration), but I did have a service call on my drawer and they sent someone out to fix it. No problems.

I have a Sharp right next to a Wolf rangetop. They didn't have a Wolf when I bought mine, but I kinda doubt it has red knobs on it, and the rangetop doesn't have a window or push buttons, so they aren't going to be a perfect match anyway.
    Even if I were buying today, I'm pretty sure I'd get the Sharp. It's a lot to pay for a microwave anyway.

• homepro01
    14 years ago

Lascatz,
    I have a convection microwave from Sharp that is built in not a microwave drawer. I brought this up as a potential issue because I was wondering what the policy from Sharp would be about servicing the micro drawer. My kitchen remodel will probably have a microwave drawer because I have a steam oven and a regular oven and a warming drawer in the same stack.

Good luck!

• jencjudd
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lascatx, well, that is a relief to know you got a service call. Maybe it has to do with where you are located in the U.S.??

I left a message with the local Sharp repair folks here; I'll let you know what I find out about servicing the micro drawer. They are probably going to think I'm crazy, calling with service questions and not even owning the product, but oh well! :)

Homepro01, I still think that is completely nutty that they made you take out your built-in and bring it to the center. I hope you made your displeasure known! I'm not one to complain, but building this house has brought out sides of me I didn't know I had. ;)

Thanks for the insight!

• dryvonne
    14 years ago

I would change the range to a Viking - less money and by far a better cooking machine. The saving will buy you the matching Viking Microwave drawer. Looks so sweet and works fantastic.

• lascatx
    14 years ago

Keep the Wolf. Nuf said.

• jencjudd
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Viking better than a Wolf?? That's the first I've heard of that. I am very glad you like yours, dryvonne. Sounds like you are enjoying the micro drawer, too. In truth, though, I've never been a Viking fan. We'll see how I feel about the Wolf when this build finally finishes. I'm double-crossing my fingers that I will be feeling how I think I'll feel...over the moon about my range. :)

If only I could be sure I'll feel that way about the microwave drawer, too!
    And lascatx, I forgot to mention, your comment about the red knobs on the microwave had me LOL. Now if they could put THOSE on the drawer to doll it up, I wouldn't even have started this thread in the first place! :)

• lascatx
    14 years ago

I think you'll be happy with the micro drawer. I had some reservations -- especially when your cabinets are built for something different and they are not cheap. But a micro in an upper cabinet just wasn't working anywhere in the limitations of my kitchen. I am tall and have bad neck and back issues, so having to bend and reach into a cave under the counter was not good. The drawer made so much sense for so many reasons that we went with it. I didn't even look at some of the features and was surprised by things like the keep warm feature and sensor reheat. They have been great --even without red knobs.

• grendal_fly
    14 years ago

We too have the Sharp drawer about 3 feet from our 48" Wolf DF and right next to our Sub-Zero, we looked at the dacor, but at the time you could only get the 30" model and we wanted the 24" with the manual pull/push function which only the Sharp had. Also Sharp doesn't have price controls and we got our ours free with the Range and hood purchase along with an extended warranty :)

• deeageaux
    13 years ago

Does anybody know where Sharp manufacutures these MWs?

I was hoping for made in Japan but at least the USA.

At these prices I really don't want made in Malaysia,Thailand,or China.