Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
7jx7

Wolf R366 Floor Model- Yay or Nay?

7jx7
10 years ago

Hi,

I'm doing a kitchen remodel and have an opportunity to buy a Wolf AG R366 floor model for about 4k (NOT a live demo model). Anyone have experience with the R366? Is this a pretty good price for this in your opinion? Thanks!

Comments (15)

• mdrei
    10 years ago

That would be a very good price. Search this forum for that range and you'll have plenty to read but, in general, it is highly regarded. Plus, that model (and it's 'open burner' design) have been discontinued. That is a bonus for some consumers as they find the 'old style' preferable. I was fortunate to find (and just purchased) it's little brother, the R304, but don't have any direct experience with it, yet. Also, Wolf will honor the 2 year warranty despite it's floor model status which is great, IMO.

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Take it!

Despite getting caught up in the burner issue conundrum early on (2007-08), we very much like our "old-style" 6-burner AG Wolf, and if we are able to, plan to take ours with us if we ever have to move. Our range needed a few other repairs over the years, but they were taken care of/covered by the extended warranty provided by Wolf.

• julieste
    10 years ago

We bought the R304 (30" version) as a floor model in February and really like it. In fact, if I were you I'd snap this up because we were an at appliance store earlier this week and saw the newer non-open burner replacement. We both commented that we wouldn't purchase that.

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

Get it! It's an awesome stove and Wolf's customer service is pretty awesome, too.

I got my floor model for 25% off, but then had to spend another $200 on the riser. If the floor model you are looking at has a riser, they may throw that in on the deal. If your price is 20 - 25% off retail, I think you're good. If not, they will likeley negotiate on the price.

• teachmkt
    10 years ago

have been cookiing on one (with grill) siince '04. as above posters, prefer the older style burners. Only drawback would be newer, hotter burners on Culilnarian and Bluestar, but with a few modifications to the grates for our woks work fine have become very used to it and like it. It is so sturdy I'm not sure how you could damage one.

• 7jx7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I should add that I am a first-time poster so a few more details would have been helpful:
    1. I'm on a budget and of course with all things added, I am already a bit over what I wanted to spend (and that's with me doing a lot of the work). However, a 36" is going in no matter what and although I like the capitol, bluestar, etc., the price tag eliminates those options.
    2. To make things interesting, the previous owners of the house left a chambers stove. Now, I love things like this. They just don't make anything to last anymore. However, it needs a little work and I don't think it's going to go with the cabinets, etc. I'm putting in. That said, I appreciate classic pieces like this and will either hold on to it or sell it to a good home.

Th Wolf seemed to be a good deal and since it is a discontinued model, I think I'm going to jump on it.

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Yay! You will enjoy using it!

• wekick
    10 years ago

Posted by jellytoast
    Get it! It's an awesome stove and Wolf's customer service is pretty awesome, too.
    -

Unfortunately, it is not what it used to be. They no longer will back their appliances like you read about on previous postings. The expectations from their advertising that your appliance will last for decades is no longer a reality from my experience. I have related my positive experiences with Wolf tied to performance for years on this forum but no longer can recommend Wolf because of their failure to fully stand behind their product on a known structural issue, the enamel surface of the oven interior. I am considering junking my range which is less than 5 years old and mainly used as a secondary oven because the complicated structural repair is costly, and total amount unknown. After haggling, they will supply the part and portion of labor but I am stuck with the lion's share+ the open ended part. Others on this forum with the same issue have had repeated failures, so I am not anxious to put good money after bad.

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

wekick, I can only refer to my own experience with Wolf's customer service department and I was treated very well. WAY better than any other appliance company I'd done business with. I had some issue with my burners and they were very patient and persistent until the problem was solved. They were also good about returning my phone calls and following up to make sure I was satisfied. I do feel they should get credit for that. Plus, I really liked the service company they used.

I am still under warranty and maybe that makes a difference, but I am quite used to calling appliance companies for warranty service and hearing the same thing over and over again ... "that's normal, that's normal, that's normal." I swear sometimes I think they could walk in the door and see the appliance in flames and they would say, "that's normal."

It is a shame that you haven't had the same experience. Don't they kind of make a big deal about their fancy cobalt blue interior? You would think they'd want that to be right if they are going to use it as a selling point. My oven's interior is black, and I'm thrilled with its form and function.

• wekick
    10 years ago

Posted by jellytoast
    I am still under warranty and maybe that makes a difference, but I am quite used to calling appliance companies for warranty service and hearing the same thing over and over again ... "that's normal, that's normal, that's normal." I swear sometimes I think they could walk in the door and see the appliance in flames and they would say, "that's normal."

Interestingly, they tried to tell me my issue was normal. They said that crazing of enamel is normal. I don't believe that because with continued crazing and breaks in the surface, it progresses and you start losing tiny shards of glass. you may notice that the pattern of damage follows a linear pattern of the crazing. I sent pictures of the bare metal. My range is not technically under warranty but by saying on their advertising you can expect decades of service, there is an implied time frame of usability. This is not something anybody would expect to pay for in the time frame THEY laid out. If you read what happened to others with this issue, out of warranty, they did make it right, even with appliances in my age range. I'm just putting this on here because it does seem to be a change in the way they do things, in particular when appliances are out of warranty. I am being asked to reinvest at a much higher open ended level than previous customers who have posted here. Also, anyone with this blue enamel might want to keep a very close eye on it. My problem did not happen over night and with the oven that low you are not as likely to notice unless you make a point of looking.

Don't they kind of make a big deal about their fancy cobalt blue interior? You would think they'd want that to be right if they are going to use it as a selling point.

Yes they do, sort of their signature. If I could get a liner that was not blue, I would be a little more inclined to keep the range.

• 7jx7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good to know. I swear it seems that this statement is common with almost everything today "it's not what it used to be".

• dodge59
    10 years ago

Whats the "Latest" with the Elux oven porcelain problem, Wekick?

Gary

• Gooster
    10 years ago

7jx7: I hope you jump on the deal, because that's an excellent price. I was offered a floor model and it was not discounted that low.

• wekick
    10 years ago

Posted by dodge59
    Whats the "Latest" with the Elux oven porcelain problem, Wekick?

Gary

The extended warranty is changing the liner. The appliance company has closed in our area and does their own work but are paying for another company (my choice) to do the work. Electrolux will do nothing, as expected but actually potentially could have cost me needless expense and would not even tell me if the liner could be replaced. When I got the Elux initially, the enamel was flaking off and they replaced it immediately and the guy told me the liner couldn't be replaced and the porcelain was supposed to be fixed on the new one. When I called Elux to ask if it could be replaced, one person told me it could not be replaced and another told me it could but they said I had to pay for a service call to find out for sure as I could not talk to the tech department.. The service company came out and gave me a fixed price and the labor is a fraction of what the other company gives as a starting point for the Wolf. It is a complete tear down as well. I did not have an extended warranty on the Wolf because the salesman(same as for Elux) told me I would never need it for the Wolf as they stand behind the product so well. Ha! I wanted warranties on both for the electronics but the problems turned out to be in the physical materials.
    Also Gary, I don't know if you remember this but I had Dacor appliances(range and oven) first with blue enamel that when they were delivered had the enamel coming off in 1-2 inch sheets. Some thought they were dropped. They were bought back because the electronics never worked. I sort of wish I had my old Maytag Gemini back. It was trouble free.
    You can see why I won't be ever buying anything with blue enamel and at this point I don't think I want to reinvest in it for the Wolf. You were talking about the fact that they are making the bottom panel to come out in the new ovens (Wolf) to make it easier to replace kind of makes me think there are a lot of issues. Also the new liner would only have a 1 year warranty! So much for their own confidence in that blue porcelain.

• 7jx7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

gooster: yep, I ended up taking it. Probably the best price I'm going to see for a 36".