Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gitfiddle915

Where are the average joes??

gitfiddle915
17 years ago

The only brands on the front page of the forum right now are Bluestar, Meile, GE Monogram, Gaggenau, LaCanche, Jenn-Air, and DeDietrich. Come on regular people. Where are you? Any Maytag, Whirlpool, Frigidaire, etc. folks out there?

Comments (89)

• mondragon
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

We're a mix. We went with a Bluestar rangetop because we enjoy cooking and cook a lot and so far, it was worth the extra money.

We put in white GE Profile wall ovens that we found used on Craigslist; my need was for dual ovens, one with convection. That was a score for $225 with about $200 maintenance call to fix the door seal. Dishwasher is Whirlpool, another Craigslist buy. Works well. Washer Dryer are Kenmore frontloader, selected from feedback on this site.

The white fridge stayed; it's a side-by-side that will get replaced with a bottom-freezer when it dies.

Some people want pretty/shiny and are probably overpaying but it's not a bad thing to get something you love looking at. Some people need performance and have figured out what that means to them so you spend where you need it and conserve where you don't.

• abfab
    17 years ago

I'm with mondragon--I'd love to spend the money on a well researched dream item, and conserve money on used appliances elsewhere. I have no emotional feelings at all about the dishwasher, or fridge, or washer dryer. I only ever use one setting on anything that offers more than one setting so too much choice just confuses me. That is actually one reason why I'm thinking about bluestar--its straightfoward, ergonically sound, and high performance. As for a dishwasher, I'm thrilled with anything that takes the dirt off. So am I "average" or "high end?"

abfab

• mrsmarv
    17 years ago

mondragon and abfab ~ maybe you're split personalities ;o) If so, I'm in your camp. Average SxS refreigerator, average DW, and at the present time, average range. But I'll be upgrading soon to a Heartland dual-fuel Legacy range, because I love to cook/bake/can/entertain alot. To me, a range is the heart and brains of a kitchen...a refrigerator keeps our food cold, and a DW cleans the dishes. Ho hum. But a range...now to me, that's another story.

• mrzed
    17 years ago

We've just gutted our kitchen for a complete remodel. We are only replacing our range and fridge. Fridge is being replaced to take advantage of a more energy efficient model (top freezer Kenmore by Whirlpool). Our criteria for the fridge was it had to have filtered water in the door, and be as efficient as possible.

Range will be Bluestar, because I like to cook, and all my research here and elsewhere indicated that spending $2000 on a gas range would be only a slight improvement on a base model, whereas the BS at $4000 will be a REAL difference.

Other than that, we are keeping our old Maytag DW (it cleans dishes), and our microwave. The only other splurge is a $1500 upcharge to have our cabinets made with formaldehdye free materials. I value my family's health more than any stainless steel appliance.

I have a hard time relating to the idea of dishdrawers, warming ovens, built-in fridges, etc. I even think hot water dispensers and garburators are questionable. My kitchen will be for cooking.

So I would say I'm an average joe, I live in a middle class 1965 house, I have a middle class job, I just have a clear sense of my priorities. It's not about having a look, it's not about spending 5 times as much on an appliance for a modest increase in convenience, but if I can get the most powerful range available for less than any other pro-style unit, why not. It's a rare case of a high-end purchase that will make a difference to me.

• mondragon
    17 years ago

mrzed - I didn't get a hot water dispenser but from what I've read here some people who have them use them all the time. I didn't have a garbage disposer before and now I have a 1hp behemoth that will grind anything. I'd put that on a must-have list as well, considering the amount of stuff we put down it.

• bigaugbiker
    17 years ago

We are in the process of buying a house, a repo, sans appliances. We will be buying a range (highest priority highest budget, albiet low budget), a dishwasher, and washer/dryer before the end of THIS month. I would love to hear more opinions, complaints, and praise about lower end models from the average joe mfgs. I want great performance more than anything else.

I am considering a premier pro style range because it has the features and power I want, but I've never even seen one.

C'mon average joes, let's start some threads about the performance and value of last year's maytag versus KA and some more threads about package deals and where to buy/save. I know I can use the help.

• rhome410
    17 years ago

I think there's a misconception that a domestic name means the appliance will cost less... I haven't always found that to be true. The purchase price doesn't always represent the real cost of the appliance either, since energy and water use, and repair and upkeep should figure in. I look for 'best value,' which also isn't always available in the domestic brands or the cheapest price tag. My choice for the best value for your money in a washer and dryer, based on personal experience, is the lower priced model of Fisher and Paykel (about $1100 for the set--few parts to go wrong, very reliable, and very energy and water efficient). For dishwasher, we had a great experience with Bosch, and they have a wide variety of prices and models (from around $500 or so, I think) ...Some of the Kenmores are rebranded Bosch. Lowes carries both Bosch and Fisher & Paykel. Lowes, Sears, and other stores have scratch and dent models that usually have full warranty and good prices for high quality appliances.

• tim_from_santa_cruz
    17 years ago

"C'mon average joes, let's start some threads about the performance and value of last year's maytag versus KA and some more threads about package deals and where to buy/save. I know I can use the help."

A welcome thread in this sea of 60-inch Wolfs and pro-grade Bluestars and $6400 SubZeros.

Perfectly usable--indeed, used by most of the U.S.A. who have newer appliances than ancient ones--appliances can be found at Sears. Yes, Sears. I have a Kenmore refrigerator, which has worked well for 11 years now. And a Maytag diswasher, installed long before I bought this house in 1995. A pair of electric ovens in a wall unit, made by Whirlpool.

The two items I have replaced are the old electric coil cooktop and the hood above. The new cooktop is a Viking induction 30-inch drop-in (which I am not advising you to get, because of the cost) and a 30-inch Zephyr Hurricane hood above it. (I had first experimented with a portable induction unit, the Sunpentown "Mr. Induction," so I had already decided to go induction.)

What you install depends on what your kitchen can support. If there's a gas line, this makes gas feasible. If there's a wall oven space, likewise.

For most people, a plug-in electric range makes a lot of sense. Minimal amount of construction, a space likely exists. (If not, then your kitchen must be built for cooktops, not slide-ins. Only you know your geometry.)

And given that your house is a "repo," and is probably known by the neighbors to be such, you can concentrate on what you do with the kitchen rather than getting bragging rights for having spent the most amount of money on a "makeover."

In ten years or so, if you're still there, then you can think about taking the savings with interest and doing a makeover.

Good luck. And don't let snobs here deter you from shopping at Sears, Home Depot, and Lowe's, or their local equivalents.

--Tim

• seacrest
    17 years ago

Totally average here...Whirlpool fridge, Kenmore range, compactor, and microwave. Maytag Tall Tub Dishwasher and In Sink Erator disposal. Except for the fridge, everything was priced at under the $500 mark.

• aquarius2101
    17 years ago

There is also the case, at least here in the UK market, that a lot of the cheap stuff is, well, cheap. We have two fridge freezers - a built in Whirlpool in the kitchen and a freestanding Zanussi in the utility room - both cheap no nonsense brands here, and Stoves (mid-range UK brand) oven/hob/hood, but when it comes to the appliances that work day in day out we opted for Miele for the washer and dishwasher simply because we don't want hassle from our appliances and want to keep them for 20 years. We are just average Joes, live in suburbia and don't earn hundreds of thousands a year nor live in a huge 10 bedroom mansion, but even our old AEG dishwasher only lasted 4 years and the old Bosch washer lasted only 3 so we thought it best to invest in the best for these 2 appliances. There is also a huge difference we've found in performance with the Miele washer and dishwasher over other brands we've had; however when it comes to the oven and hob, they all warm things up and does no better and no worse than our old 20 year old oven and hob. Same with the fridge - as long as it keeps food cool and has a decent energy rating, then it's fine.

Jon

• acoreana
    17 years ago

Who me? Average? Probably below at this point! lol

My last two houses I went in to Sears and picked out everything from the Kenmore products. I was pretty big on saving $ and being pretty sure if I had any issues, because they were Kenmore, that Sears could handle it pretty quickly/efficiently.

Unfortunately, we had a horrible experience with the Kenmore dishwasher we purchased about a year ago. Even worse experience w/ the store's handling of the situation. Had it replaced with the same model...again it was a lemon, but this time flooded the kitchen. Had such a hard time again w/ the store, etc., that we ended up doing a bit of research, and just walked in there, talked to a manager, and threw more money at them for our Bosch.

Very, very glad we did!

Everything else is Kenmore...just like my last house...and no issues with anything else...*knocking on wood*!

Average Nat

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    17 years ago

Just an average Josephine here who lives alone, with a galley kitchen and who doesn't spend much time cooking or baking.

My Kenmore, Whirlpool, and Magic chef have served me well for about 17 years. I liked them when they were new when the house was built, and still like them. They are classic white...nothing trendy for me.

If they aren't broke, I don't replace them. I'd much rather spend extra money on something more fun (to me).

Sue

• mcgillicuddy
    17 years ago

I love to cook...and have a 10-year old Kenmore Plus gas range installed by the PO.

I guess I just don't know what I'm missing, but I do plenty of braising, sauteing, baking, simmering, searing, etc., with this range, and it's just fine. It has a power burner and simmer burner, etc.

Would my meals be astonishingly better if made with a $4000 range? It's difficult to imagine.

I do think the higher end ranges look nicer, but I have a hard time accepting that they produce significantly better food than a midpriced range.

For those who have these high-end ranges, what performance features made them worth the price, versus a standard range?

• mondragon
    17 years ago

I have a Bluestar rangetop and Whirlpool convection ovens (bought used.)

I use the convection all the time and it seems to make things come out the way I want them to - from pies to roasting tomatoes for sauce.

My old range was good, probably the same vintage as yours. One burner that was "power" which I looked up once and it was about 12K BTU (compared to 22K on the Bluestar).

The extra power and much better distribution of heat has made a big difference - I can do wok cooking, I can fry or saute in a large skillet without some spots burning and others being cool. It just works the way I want it to. I cooked great meals on my old range, but I think I cook even better ones now and it's so much more satisfying.

• mcgillicuddy
    17 years ago

Wow -- I looked at the pics of the Bluestar ranges and they are YUMMY :)

I'll put it in my mental file for a future dream kitchen, and meanwhile continue on in blissful ignorance with my Kenmore.

• fafow
    17 years ago

I would love to be able to plunk down $4k for a high-end appliance, but budget realities dictate otherwise. I recently bought a Kenmore Elite gas slide-in with convection to replace an Amana downdraft that quit on us and would cost a ton to repair. The Amana was only 6 years old, there were only 2 usable burners on top and the oven never baked right (even though the repairman said the temp was accurate). I had to increase the temp and cook time to get anything to come out right. Before investing in a new range I wanted to do some research to make sure that I got something that would hopefully last a while. This is the only site I found with reviews and opinions on appliances. Why get a range with convection? I figured the extra cost was worth it because I do so much baking for family events. This would hopefully speed things up and give me more time to spend with family. Why a slide-in instead of freestanding? My wife is "vertically challenged" and the range is in front of a window. We wanted all the controls up front so there would be nothing rising up at the back to block part of the view out the window while she cooked. When we originally bought the Amana, I went under the house and rerouted the gas line while my wife did the cutting and fitting for the venting through the back wall.

We recently redid our kitchen and replaced the fridge with a Kenmore on sale. It has finger pulls like our cabinets and is a standard model with the freezer on top. Nothing fancy. Our prior fridge had a broken door and we had to pull up on the handle when closing it. We paid around $800 for it and are fine with its performance so far. We also had our dishwasher repaired (cost around $400). It is a Bosch and at the time of purchase was a top of the line model. It also was on sale. We liked the noise level and the supposed quality of the brand. My wife liked it so much that she insisted on repairing it when the buttons on front shorted out. We have a Frigidaire upright freezer. It was on clearance at Lowe's and was frost free. It was almost half price. Works fine. Our washing machine is the FP GWL11. I ended up getting it from a dealer 3 hours away for $300 (FP was selling it as a floor model with full warranty). I also got two utility rebates so it cost me $150. I even made the drive to pick it up because it was cheaper than paying shipping charges. I love the fact that it has no transmission. We had a top of the line Kenmore that had the transmission go out after 5 years and was going to cost $700 to repair. Prior to that we bought a Maytag front loader. It left sand and dirt in among the clothes. So, replaced it within 2 weeks with the Kenmore. At the same time we got a Kenmore dryer. Still have it. I had to replace an electrical component in it a year or two ago. It had a troubleshooting guide inside the control panel that tells you how to diagnose almost all problems with just a multi-meter. Piece of cake to fix. We also have a Sharp 2.0 cubic foot microwave. It is a replacement for a micro of the same size from a different manufacturer. The prior one broke down after 3 years. We got that one because it was half price (it had a dent in the back). We got used to the size and features, so when it went bad, we got the Sharp at a greatly reduced price (we had purchased an extended warranty and there were issues with the dent in the back - a long nasty story).

All in all, we try to get appliances that will last a long time and are reasonably priced. We have a house that was built in 1909 and it is always in need of repair. That is where a lot of our money goes. We don't have the luxury of putting it towards fantasy appliances. We have never been people to buy things because of the prestige of owning them. In fact, we have gotten on our kids at times when they would try to brag about something we owned. We buy things that will last a long time and usually that means paying more up front and getting more features. In the long run that often comes out cheaper because of the better quality.

• glass_beads
    17 years ago

Like you Fafow, our house is a turn of the century and is always in need of something. We'd always talked about *someday* getting the high end restaurant style appliances but it's just way beyond our means. I bought the best we could afford, which ended up being a Whirlpool fridge with bottom freezer, a Whirlpool speedcook OTR microwave, a Kitchenaid dishwasher with the concealed controls on top and a Kitchenaid range with convection and warming drawer. I am soooo pleased with them and when I walk into my kitchen I do feel like I have a "trophy kitchen" even though my appliances are far from it. They are the best appliances I've ever had.

I still love the looks of a beautiful Wolf or a colorful Aga, but my kitchenaid will do ;-)

• mdvjr
    17 years ago

Hey - I did the entire range of "professional" Frigidaire SS appliances, including the warming drawer. They look really, really nice,and all the pieces have the same handle as the KA Architect Series but less $$$. The entire kitchen, convection wall oven, DW, fridge, cooktop (gallery series), warming drawer and microhood was under $4,000!! I got them all at a place called Appliance Direct. It is a chain store throughout Orlando, FL.

• mdvjr
    17 years ago

I forgot to mention, all of the Frididaire pieces came with excellent rebates.

• chmpgntst
    17 years ago

Love this thread and LOVE dustybaker's quote, "A poor craftsman blames his tools."

Our house came with 21-year-old cooktop and ovens. I am constantly blaming the cooktop for my poor results. Then I go to my in-laws, and my MIL turns out FABULOUS meals from a truly ancient and ornery electric double-oven range.

But honestly, my cooktop's a stinker! :-) I've never scorched so many things! And even my unbelievably-frugal inlaws are upgrading to a Dacor gas cooktop and electric double ovens.

Our house also came with a Kenmore DW that is fantastic. We never pre-rinse, we stuff it to the gills, and everything comes out clean. It is loud, though, and beige, so it will go during the upcoming reno. The beige fridge will go, too, as the interior light doesn't work (and that really is a bummer, much more than I would have imagined) and DH, who never has an opinion about this type of thing, hates the wire shelves.

Our replacements will be average-joe. I'm looking at GE Profile or Kenmore Elite types. I wish one of them would make a 36-inch-range. The only cheap (~2K) 36-inch range I can find is a Frigidaire with a teeny tiny oven. I have no problem buying a Frigidaire, but why is the oven so darn small? Smaller than most ovens on 30-inch ranges.

Anyway, I can't get fabulous high-end appliances... cause then who will I blame for the scorched mac and cheese? ;-)

• jakkom
    17 years ago

Kenmore Elite does make a 36" 5 burner range. It's an upgraded Frigidaire model. A little over your budget, but get it on sale and you're all set. However, the oven on the 36" is exactly the same size as the 30" range. However, I have the 30" Kenmore/Frig range and my oven is VERY large, one of the largest in its class.

• glass_beads
    17 years ago

When I was researching ranges, of the models I'd picked out, the Frigidaire had the largest oven cavity and the kitchenaid I went with had the smallest -- the differences were fairly minor yet I still worried if I was making a mistake. Mine is 4.1 cu ft while the Frigidaire I'd looked at was 5.4cu ft. The 4.1 is still plenty large enough to roast a turkey and have a rack in there with something else on it at the same time and just the other day I baked cookies with 5 baking sheets in there at one time. I guess what I'm saying is that if you have your heart set on a particular model the oven cavity may not be as small as you envision. (hope that made sense...lol!)

• jakkom
    17 years ago

Well, right now I'm an average joe-ette, with an Amana bottom-freezer refrig, a Broan Allure range hood (which I am very unhappy with, my old Kenmore range hood was noisier but better!), a Kenmore/Frigidaire gas range and a Kenmore/GE DW. I lucked out on the DW, it was a bad year for GE DWs but this one refuses to die!

However, we do (hides my head in shame) plan to upgrade at least some of the appliances and will no longer be able to qualify for complete averageability, if there is such a word. I have given up waiting for the DW to die and will just go ahead and replace it next year with either a Miele or F&P dishdrawers.

The range works beautifully; however, I cannot keep the glasstop clean (it's bisque and so REALLY shows the gunk). This is really disappointing because my previous range, a similar model, cleaned up like a dream. But this one is a nightmare, in comparison. I have even used straight oven cleaner on it without success. Since I love to cook, I am toying with the idea of getting a new range and better hood, even though these were purchased recently in 2003. My problem is that I am very, very limited on width; my space is so tight that the new range cannot be more than 29-7/8" wide. It took three men to get my current range in place and leveled! I would love a 6-burner and could really get the max out of it, but it just isn't possible without gutting the kitchen, which would literally be throwing money away -- nice if we had it to spare, but we'd rather save it for early retirement, LOL.

• joeekaitis
    17 years ago

Wouldn't you love to put two of these side-by-side and create a Hotpoint faux-pro super-range?

It's the RGB745's dressier sibling, the RGB790. Should be just as reliable. :)

• briant73
    17 years ago

I had to join this thread and share my experiences, seeing how this forum seems to have a lot more high end users than average joe's. In the last few years I have replaced my stove, dishwasher, washing machine, microwave and repaired my fridge and dryer. The brands I have are Amana (dishwasher and also dryer), Magic Chef (fridge w top freezer), Whirlpool (washing machine), Sharp (microwave), and Hotpoint stove.

I used Consumer Reports, eopinions, store shopping, and these message forums for my research. I noticed these forums lacked information on the average brands or there sometimes was a bias against them, so I'm glad this thread has been started. I have nothing against high end appliances since if you have the money and desire for them that's great. I personally didn't feel a need for high end much less wanted to spend the money. So on to my experiences and thoughts.

The house I reside in came with these appliances Magic Chef Fridge (top freeze), Amana washer and dryer, Magic Chef stove, Sharp Microwave, Maytag Dishwasher. I believe the maytag dw was purchased in the very late 90s or right after the turn of the century. The Amana dryer/washer were bought in the late 80s or early to mid 90s. The magic chef fridge early to mid 90s and the stove late 80s. The sharp microwave 2001-2002.

A few years ago my Amana washing maching was leaving dark spots on the clothes, I did some research and read it could be liquid fabric softener that was under the agitator built up and coming out during the wash cycle. I removed the agitator and found brown gunk, cleaned it out and still had the problem, turns out the transmission was leaking oil into the tub and though the part was under warranty, labor and the other needed part was not covered. I was disapointed Amana wouldn't wave some of the cost or meet me halfway when contacted, so I elected to go shopping and purchased a Whirlpool washing machine which from what I was told is high unlikely to leak oil on to the clothes due to it's design. CR had it rated well and I saw a lot of people in this forum like their Kenmore (whirlpool made) wahsers. So far no problems other than a bad fabric softener dispenser and gasket, which both were fixed under warranty and free of charge.

Next the Magic Chef gas stove had two problems one was the control/clock assembly (analog) was buzzing loudly whenever plugged in (stove has electric ignitors so couldn't just unplug) and the over ignitor was going bad. I added up the cost to repair it and figured a new range might be a good idea. I read CR, did research and the Hotpoint rgb745 (in bisque/black) seemed like the perfect fit. After I got it and doing some reading I felt my top burners weren't performing correctly so placed a service call on the Hotpoint. Turns out it was due to the top burners flame not being adjusted right, service man adjusted them and no further problems ( he also said installer should of done it but they didn't, oh well). Service man also said he rarely is called for the new Hotpoint/GE stoves since they opened a new factory a few years ago to produce them.

Had a Maytag dishwasher, the circuit/control board was going bad, seemed to wash ok but the circuit board problem was becoming more troublesome and the part wasn't cheap so decided to replace. After reading CR and happy with my whirlpool clothes washer decided to buy a whirlpool dw1100, but had problems when installing (wouldn't fit with supplied sound insulation into my cabinets). After the install problems I did research on what might be an alternative, noticed the Amana DW were smaller and the dealer said they have far less service calls for them compared to Whirlpool. So got an Amana adb2500awb which so far installed fine and is working well. Also the Dealer went the extra mile to make this experience go smoothly, especially since I was turned off by Amana in the past. When doing research I noticed at another website the whirlpool had more than a few bad reviews about problems so maybe the dealer was right.

The sharp microwave has been problem free. As for the Amana dryer, it needed some new sensors a few years ago which I did myself, and the Magic Chef fridge needed a new cold sensor which I did myself also, both are working well since the repairs.

After all this writing, (hope you don't mind) boils down to no matter what brand you buy, and what price range you pay, a good dealer is something you should factor in your purchasing decision andremember most will compete with the box stores when you add in installation/delviery/haul away fees.

• njhg
    17 years ago

With so many responses, you really don't need anymore opinions, but I guess that's not going to stop me from putting in my 2 cents.( I just realized my laptop has no cents key. Are coins truely obsolete?) I am one who loves the high end equipment. I was a professional caterer for 15 yrs., so I am aware of howimproved technology can make one's work so much easier, better, quicker and enjoyable. Good tools are not CRITICAL, but neither are they merely appearance or self indulgent bells and whistles. When I have to throw $$$ quite literally down the drain because my fridge causes premature rotting, as well as the things that spoil due to getting buried in the far reachesof it's deep, dark shelves; when I have to cut cakes or pizzas in half in order to freeze them, products like the Liebherr start seeming like a necessity! When I have to run a dishwasher load twice, yet still end up hand washing at least 25%, I come to this forum to research a machine that is more energy conscious, better at conserving water, not to mention much better performance in the primary arena of getting dishes washed and dried. My range will be my biggest splurge. I bought a Lacanche Cluny. It's been in my garage for 6 mo., I bought it so early. It was the one item I had to be sure did not get cut out of the budget.
    Because I knew that appliances were key for me, I compromised other places - a LOT of other places! After seeing the cost of cabinetry, I based my design around antique pieces I scored on ebay; Hutch for dish storage, an 8' sideboard provides lots of counter space and an armoire is great for a pantry. I also found wonderful found wonderful faucets and hardware. Besides ebay, salvage yards have turned up a huge slate sink and most recently I found some beautiful 4' thick reclaimed heart pine boards I am going to use for open shelving in lieu of upper cabinets. Searching out sales was another way we saved. I love porcelain tiles - new glazing techniques are so artistic and they appeal to me much more than stone besides not having staining issues and never needing to be sealed. At first I did not know how I was ever going to make a selection faced with the myriad of options available, each more beautiful than the next, until I saw a tiny notice that Trikeenan ( tile manufacturer high on my list) was having a once a year overstock sale at their factory in Maine. that's when I figured out how many decisions are made! the three hour trip was justified by the fact that we purchased $65/sq.ft. tile for $7 a lb! We were able to find tile for our kitchen, new powder room, and master bath. The tiles for each room are very different, yet similar hues make for constinuity through-out the house.
    I am digressing,but my point is that high end appliances are not necessarily window dressing or status symbols; for some like me, upgraded appliances are the most important element of my re-do. Thanks for listening.

• dickross
    17 years ago

The average joe's are busy cooking dinner. The guys who buy the high end appliances have lots of time to spend on line while they're waiting for the repairman!

• kdnyc
    17 years ago

I think we are average. We have Kenmore slide in oven/range that came with the house and a Kenmore refrigerator that also came with the house. They are both at least 10 years old (the time we've been here) and probably 15 years old or more. My dad told me to not replace the appliances 10 years ago until they broke and I listened. The Kenmore range and refrigerator both still work fine. We have a GE microwave - 10 year old countertop version that has "hot spots" and no dishwasher.

I guess we should be looking at Kenmore appliances :-)

• just_chris
    17 years ago

I love this thread!

Average Joe Challenge...

List:

Stove - GE Spectra - black and white - barf
    Fridge - KA - white - 10yr old
    DW - Bosch SHE66 - stainless - recent purchase - :)
    Detergent - Shaklee powder - white
    Microwave - Whirlpool - black
    Garbage disposal - GE - schmucky - ooops!
    Mixer - KA - red
    Coffee maker - Bunn - white - Mmmmmm
    Fish tank - 5gal hex - mostly green - sits on kitchen counter
    Fish name - dusty the goldfish - gold with dusty black tail

Sounds like an average Joe to me...what do you have in your kitchen?

• johannafin
    17 years ago

Ha! I beat you.

Range - Electric Tappan, no idea what model or how old it is. The largest burner died about 2 years ago so I only have three small ones.

Refrigerator - Kenmore (made by Amana) bottom freezer, 7-8 years old

DW - my two hands

Garbage Disposal - compost heap

Microwave - Panasonic about 10 years old.

Mixer - KA white

Coffemaker - none

Washer - LG front loading - purchased last year when the transmission went out on the Amana

Dryer - Amana - pair to the old washer - only 4 years old.

This is why I lurk around here, hoping to do a remodel later this year with quality appliances

• just_chris
    17 years ago

Good ideas sometimes! Nice Garbage Disposal! :-)

• esk1
    17 years ago

Average Joe complaint here: I miss my old low-brow dial dishwasher with the big lock bar!

Our new one (or newish, bought it a few years ago) white Whirlpool model has a little green light that indicates when it's done. But the light automatically turns off if the dishwasher is opened (and it's very easy to open). I can't tell you how many times someone has opened the thing up and thrown dirty dishes into a rack of clean dishes! You have to be a detective to figure out whether stuff is clean. Looking at the water glasses on the top rack doesn't help -- aha! some food clinging to a plate. Must be dirty.

With my old dishwasher you could always figure out clean/dirty by looking at the dial and lock bar (it stayed in the locked position until someone unlocked it after the dishes had been cleaned).

Maybe they should just make the light bigger. Or have it flash. Or project the word "CLEAN" up to the ceiling.

• steve_o
    17 years ago

They do sell two-sided "Clean"/"Dirty" magnets for dishwashers. *ducking* :-)

• krustytopp
    17 years ago

Steve O, my "average" dishwasher has a non-magnetic panel. I had to put the "Clean/Dirty" indicator on the fridge (which is also "average" i.e., not stainless steel). Fortunately, my partner is highly trainable.

• steve_o
    17 years ago

Fortunately, my partner is highly trainable.

:-)

• gardenquest
    17 years ago

Average Joe-ette signing in........

average here...
    Not a fancy name in the world....we re-did our kitchen on the spur of the moment starting in Nov 2006! GASP!
    We did not origianlly plan on new appliances, However through the course of the remodel we changed out mind....but we never thought a second about high end appliances, thet seem nice, but we do not have the budget for $2,500 refrigerators & etc.
    We did however go with the top end models of the average joe's! with a deal however, New Whirpool OTR micro hood was a bought with christmas money(free), and the stainless Kitchenaid dishwasher we just bought this weeekend ( which, btw i am still floating on air about!, how about that for average joe, giddy over a silly dishwasher LOL) was an incredible deal at 45% off in the clearance section at lowes. ($430.00 with tax and coupon)
    existing appliances are GE stove, a Amana washer & dryer, fridge.

• gardenquest
    17 years ago

i alos wanted to add that, everytime i see my new average joe appliances, I am happy as a clam.....we did a very pretty kitchen from the studs up on deals and average joe items, the only thing we paid full price for was our cabinetry which is still an 1/8th of the prices i see posted on the GW forums from other people's prices.

• gardenquest
    17 years ago

I alos wanted tosay, and someone can correct me if i am wrong.......i did research DW's a bit and i was turned off to what i think i understood as a Bosch DW's do not have a heated dry cycle, call me average, but when i unload my dishwasher there is nothing i hate more than having to have a towel in my hand to dry the dishes before i take them out of the DW - just seems wrong. I experiance this right now, only because my Maytag DW is old and not working properly ( I think it knows it's fancy replacement is waiting in the wings to be installed LOL) and i DO have to have a towel right now.....ANNOYING.

as soon as the countertops are in that baby is outta here and in comes my pretty new KA!

• mccall
    17 years ago

In response to the original question. I think the reason you don't see more average appliance buyers on here is that there is less to ask about. if you are spending $500 for a range you pretty much know what to expect and look for. Not a lot of questions to ask. If you are spending $5000. for one, then you have some questions and want opinions more.

I started out looking at gas ranges at Sears. I happened on this forum while surfing about ranges just to see what was out there and found an article on Bluestar and that got me here. the rest is history as far as the range is concerned, though I did once I had upped my budget and idea for a range, check out all the ones in that price group. My other appliances are Kenmore elite DW,[though made by Bosch]Kenmore elite convection microwave, over the range type though mounted NOT over the range but over counter next to the range, for light on counter and additional venting,[great to chop onions under] and I just got a new Kenmore Elite top door refrigerator with water dispenser in the door. and I have Mills Pride cabinets in this particular kitchen. [I have two houses, the other has Fieldstone cabinets, though they are about 20 years old now.

• aml254
    17 years ago

I also am an average Joe. I decided to post here b/c it was the only thing I could find with middle of the road products. Mone is a big factor as I am replacing a working washer and dryer. My Reason: I want front loading. I love the idea of having more counter space to put crap on. :) I would like to know of there are any energyy efficient, QUIET washers out there for under $1000. OR if you have front loading and found it a waste, please let me know.

• kelly_2000
    17 years ago

aml254--be sure to check the separate Laundry forum for more info on washers/dryers--those laundry folks over there are full of opinions! :)

• beherenow
    16 years ago

Thought I'd revive this topic - need to pick all appliances for my reno and am very confused. Maybe I am just too resistent to spending so much $$ on appliances when the simple ones have served so well in the past. (Not in this kitchen - broken range, $200 GE apt size fridge, no dw, no w/d).

• coleen3201118
    16 years ago

I used to be an average joe. Until I met the GW. Now I'm hooked (In my defense, I love to cook and always have, even when I was an average joe). But I'm 40 years old and finally getting to have my very first kitchen after years of living with somebody else's. So I wanted nice stuff and yeah, I spent more money than I thought I would. But (it's not in yet) I get excited just thinking about it and it will bring me joy (and fortunately, I didn't go into debt over it).

• bretonb
    16 years ago

I am a reletively new poster to this forum. I can already see what you are talking about when you say "Where are the average joes??). It is hard to get a response when I post a query about my Kenmore Elite smoothtop range. Have done that in the last few weeks and have had little or no response.I just posted another query about my new Kenmore range tonight and I do hope I have some luck this time. Heres's waiting and hoping!

• tony20009
    16 years ago

When it comes to the kitchen, I'm pretty fussy about the appliances and tools that will affect the outcome of my food preparation and cooking. Once it's cooked, I don't care if we eat off paper plates with plastic utensils, and in the summer, I often will mostly because I'm probably eating outdoors anyway.

For stuff like microwaves (I don't do much but boil water and steam veggies with them), dishwashers, disposals, toasters, blenders and refrigerators, I share many of the sentiments found here...I'm hard pressed to understand just what I'm paying for should I opt for one of the fancier brands.

I have a Blue Star range, Cooktek induction units, and Frigidare fridge and DW, the latter two needing replacement soon (next month or so at the outside). I have to say that regardless of the price, I do the research on price and quality since once I get the things, I don't want to muck around with repairs and feature-oriented surprises, such as "Oops, it doesn't have a heated drying cycle," or "Oops, I can't fit my water pitcher, iced tea pitcher and favorite beer bottles upright on three different shelves."

• Valerie Noronha
    16 years ago

I remember this thread from when I was in the early planning stages of my kitchen remodel. How funny it is still around. I think many here on the appliance forum seem to be very well informed and passionate about having the best tools for the job. If they can afford it, kudos to them... at least they are using their kitchens efficiently instead of having blind brand name snobbery... like my friend who just bought a custom home and it had to be Thermador everything just because of the name, never mind that the gas burners have a clicking problem when they simmer. Doubt she even bothered to research anything. I think you can find good and poor quality applicances at every price spectrum and price is sadly enough not always an indicator of performance. I did splurge on some of my appliances (like a Wolf cooktop and Thermador double oven), but it makes me smile that for less than half the cost of her built-in refrigerator, I was able to buy a full-size built-in french door LG AND a Marvel wine/beverage refrigerator--while she still has her wine bottles sitting in a little decorative holder on her butler's pantry counter.

• rivendell
    16 years ago

Whirlpool Gold electric cooktop,Kitchenaid dishwasher, Jennair CD FD fridge, and I haven't decided on an oven and micro yet.

• meaniegreen
    16 years ago

I guess my question would be what AVERAGE JOEs and JOSEPHINAs are buying and being happy with? I don't want to buy something for the name panache but for its durability and reliability. I want the thing that works the best and breaks the least! That could be an expensive brand or the simplest thing out there. It seems the more I read this website, the less I am seeing that people can find just a good frig or a washer that doesn't break constantly. HELP! I'd be happy with the AJ brands if someone can just tell me which ones last and work well. (Currently getting desperate for a new frig!)

THANKS!!!
    A. Josephina

• Fori
    16 years ago

Well, I didn't buy it (directly) because it came with the house, but I have a bottom-of-the-line GE oven/microwave that is 1 year old. The oven doesn't even have convection, but I've never had a such an even-baking oven. I'll keep it when I remodel, if I can fit it in my dinky kitchen. Would it be tacky to paint a Bluestar to match it?

I can't help with fridges--mine is 10 years old. I thought it was new too until I found the sticker.

I'm usually happy with "average" appliances. I will probably splurge on a range this time because I think it will be fun, but other appliances just aren't very interactive, ya know? (And I confess that I'm definitely pushed over the edge to getting a pro-style range this time because I want an electronics-free oven--a QUIET one! Dishwasher can make as much noise as it wants, but the oven must be silent, especially when it's off.)

• netlos
    16 years ago

average joe here:

Well the only reason we bought new appliances was for our first house(last october),we pretty much checked out consumer reports, and this site before purchasing.Whirlpool dw,and accubake stove/oven,Whirlpool gold fridge/freezer on top ,water on door ice maker in freezer(love it)all in stainless .Oh and the washer and dryer are GE front loaders,microwave is Sanyo (white).