Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
AquaLift Technology on Maytag Ranges/Oven Cleaning

Posted by mboston (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 27, 12 at 11:15

Does anyone have this as the cleaning method for ovens on their Maytag Ranges? It must be fairly new as there are not many reviews. Supposedly, you pour 2 cups of water in the bottom of the oven and turn it to clean. It heats the water and the steam loosens the food residue and grease so that it can be wiped leaned. Not as high of temperature cleaning and such. I am wondering if the sides and roof of the oven will get as clean as the bottom where the water is.

You know how meat spits as it browns. I fix cornish hens and chicken breasts often and they get the oven so messy.
Hope someone knows how well this system works.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: AquaLift Technology on Maytag Ranges/Oven Cleaning

Wow, I can't believe on one has used this. Help someone.

o

No one has commented on this so I am guessing few people have actually bought an appliance that has it. Its basically like the steam cleaning feature that some of the other induction ranges have except that it is the only cleaning fuction and does not have the "self clean" standard feature of radiant ovens on this model.

Anyway, our main concern was that even though the bottom of the oven would clean easily, the sides and door would not. Now the temp for cleaning would not go over 200 degrees but the time for cleaning would be longer than on the others with steam cleaning for spots. However, we were finally told that the entire oven is coated with a material, something like teflon so that it would be easier to clean overall.

Well, this gal isn't going to have to find out - we decided to go with the GE Profile. I know that it has some "iffy" reviews for noise issues and I made sure that I have the full 30 days to return it without any penalities if I just don't like induction cooking or if it is too noisy. Will have to wait and see.

Will come back later to give a detailed report on the fridge and oven costs for the ones we looked at. Right now I have to decide on what cookwear to buy, since none of mine will work!

o

Get ready for rubber gloves and oven cleaner. It does not work. Consumer reports says it doesn't work, but I bought before reading reviews. I want to get rid of mine. They are sending me a special oven cleaner for this piece of junk so what good is this self cleaning oven that needs a special oven cleaner? I will never again buy American.

o

I have had a Maytag MGR8670 gas range for one month, and tried to clean the oven today which has seen light use. Maytag's oven cleaning system is called AquaLift. You pour water onto the bottom of the oven, push the 'clean' button, and the oven is set to be clean in 40 minutes. This technology does NOT work - it does not clean the sides or the back of the oven at all, and I still have to scrub the floor of the oven. The racks must be washed in the sink, which is not easy as they are large. Worse, the instructions say you can't even use oven cleaner. This oven is a throwback to the time before self-cleaning ovens - get on your knees and scrub, because that's the only way to get it clean. Now I am stuck with this dinosaur. I am FURIOUS.

o

Does anyone know if the Whirlpool version of this works? It is called their "steam clean" option. They don't claim to have a special coating on their oven, but it seems that maybe you just can't get an oven clean enough with steam alone. I have been researching convection ovens with self clean options and so far all of the models are "frying" the electronics after using the "high" self clean option. Any help on a GOOD brand to buy?

o

Well, that's a big negative for the Maytag ranges. Thanks for posting.

o

susanlave, Whirlpool and Maytag are the same company. The manual for the Whirlpool range specifies the AquaLift 'cleaning system', and the instructions for cleaning are exactly the same as my Maytag manual. Here's a link to a sample Whirlpool range manual:
http://www.ajmadison.com/ajmadison/itemdocs/WFG540H0AS_Use and Care_EN.pdf

Page down until you get to the section on cleaning the oven.

I have had follow-up emails from both Whirlpool people and Maytag people, essentially saying the same thing: I can't use oven cleaners or scouring pads because I will ruin the 'proprietary finish' which will void the warranty. So I am left with an oven that I can't clean, and when I ask the reps how to clean the oven I hear only silence. Like ronasch who wrote in above, they are sending me some affresh appliance cleaner. And from now on I will look up the manual on the internet and read before buying any range. If the instructions say to remove the oven racks before cleaning the oven, I will avoid the appliance. Washing those huge racks in the kitchen sink is absolutely ridiculous. Maytag/Whirlpool 'design engineers' are a bunch of morons. I need a new refrigerator, too, but I sure won't be looking at a Maytag OR a Whirlpool.

o

Actually, you can leave most oven racks in the oven for self-cleaning but, after you are done, you need to lubricate the sliding edges.

GE makes porcelain coated racks for some of its stoves and these are supposedly designed to go through standard self-cleaning cycles with no need for removal or post-cleaning lubrication. I believe that was the case with its freestanding induction range up until recently. Now, they are available as an optional purchase from GE Parts.

As for the "Acqua-lift" cleaning, the manuals I read show it as the the only self-cleaning mode that Whirlpool offers on its Maytag, Whirlpool, and Kitchenaid induction ranges.

Samsung, at least, offers both a steam clean and a standard self-clean functions on its induction stoves (NE597NOPBSR and NW595NOPBSR). The manuals say that the "steam-quick"clean function is for light duty oven self-cleaning but the primary self-clean is the usual high-heat multi-hour self-clean function.

In the recent Consumer Reports testing which was noted by another poster, it may bear emphasizing that the Maytag induction stove's Acqua-Lift self-cleaning was one of the few stoves to get the absolute lowest rating (solid black dot).

As for the "special" oven cleaner, I wonder if that is something that can be sprayed on before an Aqua-Lift steam session or if it is a purely manual cleaning product?

o

To JWVideo: The manual for the Maytag and Whirlpool stoves specifically says to remove the racks before starting the clean cycle (see link given in my last message). My former (and missed) GE electric stove allowed me to leave the racks in, lock the oven door, press a button, and have perfectly clean racks and oven - and yes, sometimes I needed to use a little oil afterwards to get the racks to slide easily. And, my current Maytag range is NOT an 'induction' stove. It is a standard gas range.
I don't think the Affresh Appliance Cleaner that Maytag is sending me is a spray-on type oven cleaner. I suspect it is something I will have to use to scrub the inside of the oven with the useless nylon scrubbing pad that came in the 'AquaLift Cleaning Kit' I got with the stove (a joke - small blue rubber scrapper, expandable sponge and the nylon scrubber). Like I said, their 'design engineers' are imbeciles. If one was here right now, I'd make him try to clean the oven, and then throttle him when he couldn't.

o

Sorry I was not clearer. So, let me clarify a few things.

First, the point I was trying to make is that there is no apparent reason WP could not provide both a standard self-clean cycle and an AquaLift one. My point was that if Samsung can offer both an steam cycle and a standard self-cleaning cycle on their stoves, then WP should be able to do it, too. So, I was agreeing with your gripe about misguided design engineering.
Second, many stove manuals tell you to remove the oven racks but you can still run the racks through the self-clean cycle, if you want. The AcquaLift process makes you take them out because the racks would prevent you from doing the pre-cycle scraping and the post-cycle mopping up. The Maytag does not let you do something you can do with most other stoves.

Third, I was citing induction stove manuals because that's what I had to hand from my recent stove-buying ordeal. I should have said that my knowledge was limited to those stoves but thought that the info would apply to other kinds from the same makers. I did not mean to suggest that everybody needs to get an induction stove.

Finally, some of the Affresh cleaners are pump sprays like this one:

http://www.whirlpool.com/-%5BW10355010%5D-1001576/W10355010/

However, even though Affresh can be sprayed on, I see that the Mayatg manuals specifically say to use it only after you run the AcquaLift cycle and then let the interior cool. So, no help there, after all.

o

Thanks for highlighting that the Kitchenaid induction range also has this kind of self cleaning.

o

JWVideo, you mention your recent stove-buying ordeal. What did you end up buying?
I ask because I very carefully researched my purchase, and still ended up with a lemon - but I learned alot ;)

It simply never occurred to me that oven cleaning could become so regressive in this day and age.

o

What did I wind up buying? Well, therein hangs a tale.

As in CRL's other current post, I set out with a $2k budget looking to buy a freestanding induction range. I've cooked on induction off and on over three decades. Induction power does not drop off the way gas does as altitidue increases, and I live at almost 6000 feet. Most of my cookware is induction suitable. I like induction.

Worried, as you were about the apparent prevalance of disposable stoves and poor quality control (lemons), I did a lot of research including downloading and reading manuals. When I read the manuals for the Whirlpool-made stoves, I found burner arrangements that I did not care for along with the Aqua-Lift self-clean technology that further research showed to be getting bad reviews.

My choices narrowed to two freestanding induction stoves that had all controls on the back-splash, met my requirement of having two largish burners up front, and did not seem to have complaints about self-cleaning burning out the circuit boards, at least in the near term. One was the then new Samsung NE597NOPBSR (its predecessor, the FTQ307 was highly rated by CR). The other was GE's PHB925 (CR's highest rated stove, ever, and pretty well thought of here at GW). I read their manuals, too, looking for quirks and annoyances. . The GE was usually priced above my budget but I was hoping that Labor Day sales might bring the price down to my budget. (Instead, GE raised the price and came out with lower priced model, the PHB915, which, like the Samsung, offers both a steam-clean and standard self-clean function. On-line searching turned up hardly any reports of board failures or issues with self-cleaning cycles in either stove. I was sure either stove would do for me.

Then I bought an old-style all-gas stove from Costco.com. What I bought was an NXR DRGB3001, a "pro-style," sub $2k range with no digital anything and no self-cleaning functions.

Okay, that was a bit of shaggy dog story. But choosing beween stoves did require me to think of self-cleaning as something to be considered as a tradeoff for other things. Basically, I found that when I matched up all of my preferences about what I wanted from a stove, with my $2k budget, I could not get everything I wanted. The NXR gave me slightly more of what I wanted than the two induction ranges did. One thing I gave up was a self-cleaning oven.

But, interestingly enough, I have found that I can run my own own version of a heated-steam-cleaning cycle with the NXR by spritzing a hot oven with a sprayer bottle. Let it sit a few minutes, shut off the heat, wait for the oven to cool down, and then wipe it out with blue-scrubbie-sponge and some windex. There have been a couple of instances where I've had to resort to scrubbing with Barkeeper's Friend.(When a roasting sweet potato bursts, it is amazing how quickly the drips carbonize and fuse to the oven floor panel.)

BTW, oven cleaning is not OCD, at least according to the folks at Modernist Cusine who say that a clean oven heats a lot more evenly than a messy one.

Anyway, I'm doing pretty much what you have to do with the Aqua-Lift. Except that I do not feel ripped off because NXR mades no pretense of having self-cleaning oven functions.

o

JWVideo, I'd never heard of an NXR but it sure looks like my kind of stove! No digital push buttons, which I hate, and real sturdy. If it came in black, I'd probably take a $740 hit and get rid of the Maytag and buy an NXR. Next time, for sure, which probably isn't that far away since appliances seem to have become incredibly short-lived. A friend of mine is still cooking on her 1954 GE electric stove - that's when they really made them to last.
Now I'm looking for a new refrigerator. I'm very attracted to a Fisher & Paykel counter-depth, but I don't think I can adjust to 3 cubic feet less of refrigerator space. A Kitchenaid side-by-side is possible and would fit in the 35" wide space, but I've never used one before. Current fridge is a bottom freezer, pull-out drawer Amana. The fruit/vegetable drawers are incredibly flimsy and broke in the first 6 months. I think they were made for one shriveled up head of lettuce and a couple of dessicated apples. I'm a serious cook, so I put a lot in the fresh drawers. Any advice, anyone?

o

On the fridges, I suggest you start a separate thread. Your current question won't catch the eye of people who could help because the question is pretty far off the topic/title. Also, try some searching because there have been numbers of recent threads which can help inform your choices. I have posted on the Kitchenaid KBFS22, a french door (FD) model which I bought a month or so ago. Although it is not counter depth (CD), the thread may tell you something about quality and features and produce drawers. I also recall somebody recently posting about the CD versions. I think it was prairiemoon who started a recent long thread on current models of bottom-freezer fridges.

As for the NXR, there are seven or eight detailed and several long threads (a couple of them going back to 2009) which may provide entertaining reading.

Getting color is a limited aftermarket/diy thing (pull the oven door and front kick-panel and take them somewhere for powder coating.)

o

Thanks, JWVideo, you are s true wealth of information. I'm fairly new to posting on gardenweb and I get that the refrigerator quandary is a separate issue. Thanks again!
tat

o

i have been fighting with maytag over this for weeks , I to was told us easy off , and just had their repair man here yesterday for the oven does not lite all the time gas fills up inside , these need to be recalled another repair man is coming on tuesday afternoon , i bought mne at homedotpo , in sept2012

o

I had a guy here yesterday because it does not clean and gas over well not lite all the time gas smell in oven they told me there is nothing wrong and use brillo and warm water and dish soap to clean well for a 1000.00 I dont think I want my home to blow up , now they well be sending some one else on tuesay , keep calling them this fall under lemon law and they miss lead us on the use of this even the homedepot is work with me i well not have someone put parts in this because I did not buy it to have it fixed it needs to be recalled and we are going to fight tell they recall it , the gas leaking was the last callk for me .keep calling them read comsumer report I well let you all know what happens here but Im not keeping this and I well not lose my money on this junk , if they tell me their is nothing wrong or how to clean this again Im going to scream oh Im sure they send you all a new spong and their little bottle of clean stuff to bad it for the top of the stove

o

ok here were I stand magtag sent repair man said he can not find any thin wrong i called magtag back they are having safe check for why gas leaked in stove , I told them it does not happen all the time ,and the cleaning part of it never worked he what maytag said fax us the receit and well pick us the stove and bring you a check for what I paid for it , it told alot of phone calls and but I cant feel safe with this maytag range and as far as the self cleaning with water they wanted to charge me to have some one come to my home to show me how to clean it really , that was not happing

o

Maytag is buying my range back from me they called and said fax you sales sile to us

o

maytag knows that water low heat can not clean and there is something wrong with oven

o

Chris876, how do you know that 'Maytag knows...' the AquaLift Cleaning System does not work? Did they admit that to you in writing? This could be helpful to us other owners.

o

I bought A Whirlpool range convection, self cleaning and I'm very furious too because the self cleaning, after several time of cleaning, which the last one I let it go for 4 hours, it didn't clean anything at all. My old GE of 30 years used to come out spotless. It has been over a year already, twice the technician came out and there was nothing he could do. We bought 5 years extended warranty and Sears told us there is nothing they can do. I still have to try calling the manufacturer, hoping they'll give me some satisfaction. It really sucks. We should be more further ahead with technology. Now I don't know who to trust anymore.

o

tatwood maytag would not say other then they would have check for ful price paid in three weeks , but I think they were wrried that because the oven did not lite right that something might happen plus the repair men did not know anything on this range one us the book to read were the parts were , Home depot fax my sales slip to them today and before they got it they call and said that they just were buying it back , I think they should recall them

o

I, too, unfortunately purchased this awful oven. It is uncleanable! I bake frequently, and any form of grease splatter is not removable from the sides and back. Wrote to the company and all they did was tell me to follow the instructions that came with the range! Do they think I'm stupid? I am very angry. Any advice that can be passed along regarding how I can clean it, or how to make the company responsible for this lousy oven, would be greatly appreciated.

o

I, too, unfortunately purchased this awful oven. It is uncleanable! I bake frequently, and any form of grease splatter is not removable from the sides and back. Wrote to the company and all they did was tell me to follow the instructions that came with the range! Do they think I'm stupid? I am very angry. Any advice that can be passed along regarding how I can clean it, or how to make the company responsible for this lousy oven, would be greatly appreciated.

o
Some success with AquaLift

I purchased a KitchenAid oven with the AquaLift as well. Thinking this was more a traditional self clean I waited 3 months to run the first cycle. Of course, this had all of the holiday cooking spatter and grease. It did not work well the first time.

I ran 10-12 cycles with Distilled Water, but before started the cycle, in addition to the water on the bottom I sprayed the walls with water as well. I used a small spray bottle with a fine mist and coated the walls and the back heavily. Once the cycle was down to 5 minutes, although it was still warm I used the scrubber sponge - mine was yellow and white that came with the oven to clean the walls.

In between cycles I used Afresh Kitchen and Appliance Cleaner plus Affresh Cooktop Cleaner once the oven was cool. In the directions that came with the cleaning kit (sponge and blue scraper) they say both of these are safe to use.

So here we are 15 cycles later and the oven is almost clean. I also had to level the oven perfectly so that the water covers the entire oven bottom exactly.

Very dissapointed that a $1200 Kitchen Aid doesn't clean like its supposed to, but I believe you have to run the AquaLift cycle the next morning after you finish your roasting. And yes, you will have to use the sponge and scraper a little bit.

Well, back for two more cycles and I won't wait 3 months again. I'll run the cycle after any heavy roasting - especially with Convection. Hope this helps - happy spraying and scrubbing :)

o

I was also dumb enough to buy this range. I've had it one year. Have written complaints to Maytag and Whirlpool. I received phone calls from some underpaid know nothing who treated me as if I'd never cleaned an oven before.

For Whirlpool/Maytag to call this "self-cleaning" is false advertising and they need to make it right with me or I will not purchase another product from them ever again!

o

If anyone has been successful in getting Whirlpool/Maytag help on this (buying back the appliance) please share who you contacted. I have not been successful. They don't seem to care that they have angry unsatisfied customers.

o
RE: AquaLift Technology has Maytag helped anyone?

If anyone has been successful in getting Whirlpool/Maytag help on this (buying back the appliance) please share who you contacted. I have not been successful. They don't seem to care that they have angry unsatisfied customers.

o

The saga continues...
It is obvious to many people who have posted on the internet and through testing by Consumers Reports that the aqua lift technology is not a SELF cleaning process. In actuality, it requires "elbow grease" and manual scraping with the sponges provided. Depending on the spill, it may require much more work than if one was able to use a regular oven cleaner.
Maytag offered me the following solution: they sent me a "special" cleaner and more sponges to help in the manual cleaning of my self cleaning oven.
On Maytag.ca, it specifically states: "Get your oven clean in less than an hour with odour-free, low temperature AquaLift™ self-clean technology. The innovative coating on the oven interior, activates with water and heat to release tough, baked on soils from underneath so food and debris easily wipe away."
This is false. I scraped, cleaned and ran the "clean cycle" 3 times and it is still very dirty and greasy.
Therefore, I have filed a complaint with the Canadian government consumer affairs and the more complaints they get, the better.
Please send in your complaints by filling the form at http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/eic/site/cb-bc.nsf/frm-eng/GH%C3%89T-7TDNA5.
If anyone knows the complaint form for the US government, kindly post it.
Thank you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Consumer Affairs

o

Follow-up - we have had our range for 14 months. Last night, the gas oven did not light. So now we own a range that not only is impossible to clean, but cannot be trusted to light. That truly scares me.
I'm calling the dealer tomorrow and will go on a rampage to get reimbursed for this cursed appliance. I did some preview shopping for a new range, and cannot BELIEVE that KitchenAid has the same AquaLift system!!!!

o

We purchased ours in early Dec/13.It is a piece of Junk.
Apparently the gov. has pushed these companies into developing lower energy comsuming technologies for everything, including oven cleaning.It does not work.The problem is they tout it as " self clean". It is actually worse than my mother`s stove from the 60's, when we used easy off.This one you have to get on your knees and in the oven to soak up the water after it has done it' s cycle and then scrub with the little pad they supply.God forbid cleaning the top.I understand that Whirlpool has set up a special 800 number to deal with the thousands of complaints that they receive about it. I also heard that there may be a class action suit taken for calling this " self clean" when it is not.
After a year if we have more problems with this stove ( technician has been 3 times for electronic problems), we
will scrap it (as after a year ther is basically no warranty)
absorb the $1000 loss and try buying a European made
stove.Maytag used to be a quality product

o

Yesterday, the handle fell off of the Maytag. We had to take the door apart to fix it. Not fun. I've had it with the damn stove and am now shopping for a new one even though the Maytag is only 15 months old. Junk.

o

I have this horrible range and it is a piece of garbage. It might as well not even have a self cleaning feature. It does not work. Cleaning the glass top of the stove is also very difficult. It was a total waste of money, Maytag doesn't care and won't do anything about it. DO NOT PURCHASE ONE. There is also little to no storage space in the drawer. There is not one good thing I can say about this stove. Not one.

o

I have this piece of crap Maytag range! Tried to clean it and I just cannot get it cleaned by any online method I have come across. I had the same problem, the door handle fell off. I took out the extended warranty, it would have cost me $139. to have it repaired had I not had the extended warrantee.
How in the heck do you clean the oven????

o

I also purchased a Maytag so called self cleaning oven and I am so disappointed with it. With my old GE traditional self cleaning oven. All you did was run a cycle and clean up the residue. With this new so called innovative technology (Aqualift) you run a cycle .It does a so so job on the bottom but you end up having to scrub the sides back and top by hand. To me this is not self cleaning. I purchased a range that was advertised as self cleaning and received a range that is semi-self cleaning. I have as the other person filed a complaint wit Consumer Affairs Canada.I have also expressed my disappointment with Maytag/Whirlpool and the they only offer their apologies for any inconvenience. Unfortunately apologies will not clean the oven. Has anyone considered taking them to small claims court or starting a class action suit/ Or am I just too fussy?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here