Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Griddle for Induction... HELP!

Posted by 2LittleFishies (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 11:01

I did a search and read some old posts but is there a recommended griddle for my Thermador Induction cooktop? My large hob is 13".

I assume round b/c will the corners not heat up well on a square? Same problem with a double griddle?

I've been using a frying pan for pancakes but don't like it!

I have a round (pre-seasoned) Lodge griddle and although I keep seasoning it with oil and even seasoned it in the oven- everything is sticking to it! Am I missing something?

Any help would be great : )
Fishies

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Griddle for Induction... HELP!

I have a 14" lodge pizza "stone" that I believe they call a griddle.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lodge preseasoned griddle

o

Can't help with a new griddle, but for your present Lodge griddle, I suspect that you may be getting too much oil build up so you are getting goo more than you are getting seasoning.

Have you tried scrubbing and polishing a warm griddle with lots of Kosher salt and a paper towel? If that doesn't work, you might want to try stripping the seasoning and starting over. If you haven't searched in the cooking or cookware forums (fora?), you might want to read the postings on seasoning and re-seasoning cast iron. For Google, Bing, etc., use "gardenweb + seasoning cast iron" as you search string. I also recall several threads on seasoning cast iron at Chowhound. If you have access to Cooks Illustrated, they also have some very specific advice on how to do this.

This post was edited by JWVideo on Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 12:27

o

Thanks for the info...

I have this one:

Here is a link that might be useful: Lodge Griddle

o

Sometimes with sticking you may be getting the griddle too hot. This is really easy to do with induction.

Try using a much lower setting.

o

I got that Lodge griddle for my (ex) induction cooktop. Seasoning is key--do you have experience enough with cast iron to know if you've got it right? It'll still take a smidge of grease for pancakes and good heat control (which I'm terrible at).

My spouse does most of the pancake making but prefers a non-stick frying pan. They do turn out better than mine but I INSIST it's because the spouse has more practice. :) The cast iron makes better pancakes when cooked properly, I think.

There's no reason not to use a square or rectangular griddle--if it's a good pan, it'll heat sort of evenly enough and you don't use the corners anyway.

o

I've been looking for a lightweight non-stick induction friendly griddle, too. Preferably double, but I'll settle for single at this point. You may have seen my posts on this. I even contacted some companies (over a year ago), and I couldn't find anything. I check pretty much every time I'm in a housewares dept in any store, even in the grocery store. I also put in a comment at Wegman's that they should offer induction-friendly cookware. If I ever find one, I'll post it.

In the meantime, I'm using a 12" non-stick skillet, but it's harder to flip with the sides in the way. Someone once very reasonably suggested "just get a nonstick electric griddle." They are cheap, but I don't have a convenient place to store one. A griddle, at least, is thin and flat.

o

No, I really don't have any experience with cast iron. I've been using Le Creuset (enameled) a little but not for thinks like pancakes which are tricky.

o

I wonder if this is for induction? The other All-Clad B3 items are for induction...

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=40563145

Here is a link that might be useful: All Clad Griddle

o

Maybe this one?

Here is a link that might be useful: VOLRATH GRIDDLE

o

Here are some more... Any thoughts?

http://www.dvorsons.com/chefking/Griddles.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: Induction Griddles

o

Of those, I like the Vollrath, personally, because I'm also looking for lightweight. The Vollrath shows a shipping weight (on Amazon for something that looks similar) of 4 lbs. (Unless the packaging is heavy.) Even that is heavy out at the end of a handle. The chef king is 10 lbs. You're right, it looks like the all clad should work, too, but how do they get aluminum to be induction friendly? Ferromagnetic bottom? Naturally, the Vollrath is almost $80. Couldn't be $19.95 at Target. I don't make pancakes that often.

o

Ginny- Too bad we can't buy 2 for $66 each : )

o

I'm willing to bet the AllClad will NOT work. It is all aluminum.

Any of the others look ok, though some of those are a bit heavy. The RM ones don't look like cast iron but carbon steel, some heavier than others. The Volrath is tri-ply.

o

Here's a classic yet current thread from the cookware forum on cast iron. It's worth getting to know it since it works beautifully on induction. And yes, wash it with dish soap! It would be gross not to.

:)

(I did have better luck keeping the right temperature with my cast iron griddle on induction than my current electric. When you have the temperature right, it's perfect.)

Here is a link that might be useful: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cookware/msg0918171717144.html?83

o

Your instincts are correct that you probably want a cast iron griddle. UNLESS, that is, you can afford the wonderful Demeyere offering that is expensive enough to elicit a gasp.

For seasoning cast iron generally, visit the Cookware forum on Chowhound, and search for contributor ThreeGigs. ThreeGigs's advice rocks.

Unless you have more money than sense, do not waste your time looking at All-Clad solutions. (Mentioning All-Clad in a post on Chowhound without praising All-Clad -- neutrality is not sufficient -- apparently is a capital offense on Chowhound, so that is not a forum to ask about All-Clad unless you want the party line.)

Vollrath usually returns high bang for the buck.

Lodge does not polish the surface of its cast iron offerings; the rough surface resists good seasoning. You usually can do much better by buying Griswold (made in Erie, PA) cast iron on eBay. Griswold went out of business (bought by the owner of Wagner) in the mid-1950s, but pre-Wagner Griswold cast iron is very durable, and there is a lot of it around. Made-in-Erie Griswold is very reliable and very good as long as it sits flat (that is, unwarped).

Here is a link that might be useful: Here is the Demeyere Maxigrill

o

The Demeyere looks like a nice shape, but I don't find stainless as good as nekkid CI or (gasp!) Teflon for releasing things like pancakes or eggs. The new Lodge stuff IS rougher than the old and takes more seasoning to smooth it out but it's not too bad. I've got mine pretty slick.

I do prefer the surface on my 90+ year-old WagnerWare roaster but it's really hard to work a spatula in the depths of that thing! :P

I don't think old griddles are easy to find.

o

2fishies
I struggled with this as well.
I gave my gorgeous double AC to my SIL who hasn't even tried it.
I went with the AC single. It is square but I let it heat up and have great cakes! I can make 4 normal or 3 larger cakes.
My induction does not bridge. I think you have that beautiful Thermidor.

For a grill pan, I went with the LC with the panini press.

o

A2gemini
Which all clad do you have?

Thanks for ur help everyone! I need to re-read all of these later on : )

o

fori: "The Demeyere looks like a nice shape, but I don't find stainless as good as nekkid CI or (gasp!) Teflon for releasing things like pancakes or eggs. The new Lodge stuff IS rougher than the old and takes more seasoning to smooth it out but it's not too bad. I've got mine pretty slick."

I agree with you, fori, that (like everything else in the kitchen), griddle surface choice is, largely, a matter of personal preference.

We currently use several surfaces for "griddle-type" cooking. Our LG induction cooktop came with a purpose-made stainless steel griddle that matches the size and shape of the bridged elements; we have an 11" Erie Griswold round griddle that we bought through eBay; we have a Matfer Bourgeat "black steel" fry pan that takes seasoning like cast iron; and we have a 13" Descoware enameled cast iron low-sided frypan (we can get the spatula in there and under the contents). We never have seen the point in Teflon, Silverstone, whatever, and do not have even a single piece of nonstick chemical cookware in our home. The stainless griddle actually works pretty well if it is slathered with bacon grease (or politically correct oil) before dropping the eggs, pancakes, or whatever onto it, but unlike the Griswold or the Bourgeat, it (like the enameled Descoware) tends to grab eggs if we have not used ample grease.

We purchased a Lodge cast iron griddle in the late 1970s and used it for a quarter century before we replaced it with the Griswold. I serially (and seriously) tried all of the seasoning strategies in the universe over that time -- I gave that griddle every opportunity to shine -- and the ferschlugginer thing just never got with the program. We ended up giving it to charity.

With greased stainless steel and with seasoned cast iron and seasoned black steel, the biggest contributor to nonstick performance seems to be patience. An egg that you try to turn too soon will stick; wait a few more seconds, and it releases beautifully. We keep a large bowl of Patience by the cooktop, but I must admit that I occasionally fail to use it when I should.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2LittleFishies might be interested in this one

o

from Tramontina:

The griddle that we make in our Lyon line would be compatible with your induction stove top. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

The Lyon can be seen and purchased on QVC.com, chefscatalog.com and cook’sstore.com. Our website does have some information on this line, please click below.
http://www.tramontina-usa.com/Lyon2-Garnet Product Info.html

o

The round cast iron lodge (pizza "stone") that I posted is pre-seasoned. It should be fairly easy to maintain it.
If you are looking for something lighter, have you looked at carbon steel?
http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-CRS15-Pre-Seasoned-Skillet-15-inch/dp/B009418TN6/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1370993128&sr=1-2&keywords=carbon+steel+lodge

http://www.amazon.com/Chef-King-Gauge-Steel-Griddle/dp/B001BQYS3C

o

2fishies - I thought this was a slam dunk but not sure if it is made anymore. I did find a link on WS - I am pretty sure this is it - AC D5 with non-stick interior.
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/all-clad-d5-stainless-steel-nonstick-square-griddle-pan/

o

a2gemini- Yes, I remember there being one but now can't find it?

wallycat- I don't think the Chef King works with induction. It says gas or electric. I can't get the first link to open.

Tramontina seems to be a grill pan. I emailed them back to confirm if they have a griddle pan.

Thanks fori and heringmaven for your great posts!

o

wallycat- Oh, yes the Chef King I posted (probably same as yours) does say induction.

o

Search Lodge carbon steel. It offers quite a few products.
Similar to their "pizza stone," they also make it in carbon steel...much lighter. I'm debating on getting it, even though I have the cast iron version.

o

I have tried de buyer carbon steel and it gets too hot too fast on induction. Do not like it for batter based things like pancakes. Frankly at the end of day, my investment in ScanpanCTX which is induction friendly Scanpan has been worth the money to me. Eggs everyday and pancakes on weekends for DD. cleans up easy and perfect results everyday. It is an investment though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scanpan CTX

o

The griddle (and grill) question on Induction has me on the fence on which way to go for myself too. So am interested in these results. I don't know if this will work on the regular Thermador induction cooktop (or any brand I guess), but the Thermador Freedom Induction has two available griddles they call "Teppan Yaki" pans listed under Accessories. I need five hobs so the max of four put this one out of consideration as well as being over budget. Maybe someone that already has a regular induction can try these and report back??

Two sizes are shown in a 13x14 and a 13x21, in a nice stainless steel with upright handles. Curiously, the description states "7 ply material of 18/10 stainless steel with additional copper and aluminum used for fast and even heating" . Anyone familiar with these or have used them?

Here is a link that might be useful: Thermador Freedom Induction Accessories - Teppan Yaki griddles

o

wallycat & all -- love that Chef King pan! Do you think it could be used on the 11" induction hob on my Bosch? Or could it be used over two elements? I don't have a bridge element. I'm thinking the answer to both questions is no. But so far, my new Bosch has been mighty forgiving . . . (she said hopefully.)

o

Was just surfing eBay for an Erie Griswold and saw this one which might work on a bridge element. But I wasn't sure about the bottom? It isn't flat. I throw it out in case anyone is interested. Bids end today. (Also, note seller's discrepancy in shipping costs.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Erie Griswold long griddle on eBay

o

I didn't get to read the last 3 or 4 posts but I bought the Chef King square griddle and will let you know how it works! : ) Be back later!

Fishies

o

Let me know how it works - I am happy with the AC but maybe something better exists - just don't forget to bake the bacon!

o

MizLizzie: "Was just surfing eBay for an Erie Griswold and saw this one which might work on a bridge element. But I wasn't sure about the bottom? It isn't flat. "

It does not need to be flat to work on induction. That griddle would have worked (it has been sold now) just fine on an induction cooktop.

o

Thanks, h.m.! A week into my new cooktop, and I have lots to learn.

I will keep an eye on eBay. There seems to be a lot of cast iron selling on there.

o

I DIDN'T buy the Chef King. I got the Vollrath one! It came today. I'll test it out tomorrow!

The corners are outside of the circle obviously. Any tips for preheating? How long should I wait so that the pan is evenly heated?

o

I DIDN'T buy the Chef King. I got the Vollrath one! It came today. I'll test it out tomorrow!

The corners are outside of the circle obviously. Any tips for preheating? How long should I wait so that the pan is evenly heated?

o

Just wanted to update that so far I LOVE the Vollrath. It heats evenly and is great non-stick : )

o

OK, in the last couple of weeks my induction hob won't power on with my Vollrath. I have to put one or both of my hands, on the griddle in order to get it to "work".
I'm assuming the griddle isn't making enough contact?

o

"Contact" should not be the issue because induction ranges and cooktops do not depend on contact with the glass surface. AFAIK, the pan sensors work from the amount of metal mass detected in the rather short magnetic field above the hob. Unless that Vollrath griddle is very seriously warped --- like heading to a "v" shape or twisting itself --- my suspicions would focus on something failing in the pan/mass sensors. These have to "see" enough magnetic metal mass above the burner for the burner to come on. I would be inclined to call for warranty service. (Your Thermador is still under warranty?)

I'm not sure how the mass sensors on the Thermadors are set up, but have you tried putting that Vollrath griddle on a different burner? If it heats up on other burners, that would tell me that there may be something failing with the sensors for the burner you have been using. It you have the same problem with every burner, I would suspsect something failing in the processor/circuit board that controls the sensors.

In the meantime, do you have a cast iron skillet? If so, try laying that on the griddle before starting. When the griddle starts heating (if it starts heating), pull the CI pan off and see if the griddle continues to heat. If it does, you've got a workaround until you can get service to check your cooktop's electronics. And you don't risk burning your hands.

This post was edited by JWVideo on Sun, Aug 18, 13 at 11:50

o

Hmm... Yes it's still under warranty.
The griddle does work on the other burners just not the center one! Once it's warm it's fine in the middle and it does sense it. But when all is cool, it doesn't sense the griddle.

o

Thermador is coming next week to check it out...

o

2, does the center burner still sense correctly with pans when cool?

o

Cool pans or cool burner? The center burner senses all other pots correctly except for the griddle. Although of course I just tried it again and it worked but it usually doesn't sense the griddle.

o

Well, if it is sensing all other pans correctly, I doubt that the visit from the Thermador folks will be worth anyone's time. I expect that they will just say that it is working normally.

o

Has anyone tried the Le Creuset cast iron reversible griddle/grill which is 18 1/2 inches by 10 inches? I was thinking of getting it.
I am bummed that I can no longer use my All Clad cast aluminum double burner griddle, since I loved this piece and used it a lot.

o

I got the Vollrath a few months ago. Works great on Thermador induction cook top. Quality seems very good. Had pancakes this morning.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here