Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2littlefishies

Griddle for Induction... HELP!

2LittleFishies
10 years ago

I did a search and read some old posts but is there a recommended griddle for my Thermador Induction cooktop? My large hob is 13".

I assume round b/c will the corners not heat up well on a square? Same problem with a double griddle?

I've been using a frying pan for pancakes but don't like it!

I have a round (pre-seasoned) Lodge griddle and although I keep seasoning it with oil and even seasoned it in the oven- everything is sticking to it! Am I missing something?

Any help would be great : )
Fishies

Comments (54)

• Fori
    10 years ago

I got that Lodge griddle for my (ex) induction cooktop. Seasoning is key--do you have experience enough with cast iron to know if you've got it right? It'll still take a smidge of grease for pancakes and good heat control (which I'm terrible at).

My spouse does most of the pancake making but prefers a non-stick frying pan. They do turn out better than mine but I INSIST it's because the spouse has more practice. :) The cast iron makes better pancakes when cooked properly, I think.

There's no reason not to use a square or rectangular griddle--if it's a good pan, it'll heat sort of evenly enough and you don't use the corners anyway.

• ginny20
    10 years ago

I've been looking for a lightweight non-stick induction friendly griddle, too. Preferably double, but I'll settle for single at this point. You may have seen my posts on this. I even contacted some companies (over a year ago), and I couldn't find anything. I check pretty much every time I'm in a housewares dept in any store, even in the grocery store. I also put in a comment at Wegman's that they should offer induction-friendly cookware. If I ever find one, I'll post it.

In the meantime, I'm using a 12" non-stick skillet, but it's harder to flip with the sides in the way. Someone once very reasonably suggested "just get a nonstick electric griddle." They are cheap, but I don't have a convenient place to store one. A griddle, at least, is thin and flat.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No, I really don't have any experience with cast iron. I've been using Le Creuset (enameled) a little but not for thinks like pancakes which are tricky.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I wonder if this is for induction? The other All-Clad B3 items are for induction...

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=40563145

Here is a link that might be useful: All Clad Griddle

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Maybe this one?

Here is a link that might be useful: VOLRATH GRIDDLE

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here are some more... Any thoughts?

http://www.dvorsons.com/chefking/Griddles.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: Induction Griddles

• ginny20
    10 years ago

Of those, I like the Vollrath, personally, because I'm also looking for lightweight. The Vollrath shows a shipping weight (on Amazon for something that looks similar) of 4 lbs. (Unless the packaging is heavy.) Even that is heavy out at the end of a handle. The chef king is 10 lbs. You're right, it looks like the all clad should work, too, but how do they get aluminum to be induction friendly? Ferromagnetic bottom? Naturally, the Vollrath is almost $80. Couldn't be $19.95 at Target. I don't make pancakes that often.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ginny- Too bad we can't buy 2 for $66 each : )

• weedmeister
    10 years ago

I'm willing to bet the AllClad will NOT work. It is all aluminum.

Any of the others look ok, though some of those are a bit heavy. The RM ones don't look like cast iron but carbon steel, some heavier than others. The Volrath is tri-ply.

• Fori
    10 years ago

Here's a classic yet current thread from the cookware forum on cast iron. It's worth getting to know it since it works beautifully on induction. And yes, wash it with dish soap! It would be gross not to.

:)

(I did have better luck keeping the right temperature with my cast iron griddle on induction than my current electric. When you have the temperature right, it's perfect.)

Here is a link that might be useful: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cookware/msg0918171717144.html?83

• herring_maven
    10 years ago

Your instincts are correct that you probably want a cast iron griddle. UNLESS, that is, you can afford the wonderful Demeyere offering that is expensive enough to elicit a gasp.

For seasoning cast iron generally, visit the Cookware forum on Chowhound, and search for contributor ThreeGigs. ThreeGigs's advice rocks.

Unless you have more money than sense, do not waste your time looking at All-Clad solutions. (Mentioning All-Clad in a post on Chowhound without praising All-Clad -- neutrality is not sufficient -- apparently is a capital offense on Chowhound, so that is not a forum to ask about All-Clad unless you want the party line.)

Vollrath usually returns high bang for the buck.

Lodge does not polish the surface of its cast iron offerings; the rough surface resists good seasoning. You usually can do much better by buying Griswold (made in Erie, PA) cast iron on eBay. Griswold went out of business (bought by the owner of Wagner) in the mid-1950s, but pre-Wagner Griswold cast iron is very durable, and there is a lot of it around. Made-in-Erie Griswold is very reliable and very good as long as it sits flat (that is, unwarped).

Here is a link that might be useful: Here is the Demeyere Maxigrill

• Fori
    10 years ago

The Demeyere looks like a nice shape, but I don't find stainless as good as nekkid CI or (gasp!) Teflon for releasing things like pancakes or eggs. The new Lodge stuff IS rougher than the old and takes more seasoning to smooth it out but it's not too bad. I've got mine pretty slick.

I do prefer the surface on my 90+ year-old WagnerWare roaster but it's really hard to work a spatula in the depths of that thing! :P

I don't think old griddles are easy to find.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

2fishies
    I struggled with this as well.
    I gave my gorgeous double AC to my SIL who hasn't even tried it.
    I went with the AC single. It is square but I let it heat up and have great cakes! I can make 4 normal or 3 larger cakes.
    My induction does not bridge. I think you have that beautiful Thermidor.

For a grill pan, I went with the LC with the panini press.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A2gemini
    Which all clad do you have?

Thanks for ur help everyone! I need to re-read all of these later on : )

• herring_maven
    10 years ago

fori: "The Demeyere looks like a nice shape, but I don't find stainless as good as nekkid CI or (gasp!) Teflon for releasing things like pancakes or eggs. The new Lodge stuff IS rougher than the old and takes more seasoning to smooth it out but it's not too bad. I've got mine pretty slick."

I agree with you, fori, that (like everything else in the kitchen), griddle surface choice is, largely, a matter of personal preference.

We currently use several surfaces for "griddle-type" cooking. Our LG induction cooktop came with a purpose-made stainless steel griddle that matches the size and shape of the bridged elements; we have an 11" Erie Griswold round griddle that we bought through eBay; we have a Matfer Bourgeat "black steel" fry pan that takes seasoning like cast iron; and we have a 13" Descoware enameled cast iron low-sided frypan (we can get the spatula in there and under the contents). We never have seen the point in Teflon, Silverstone, whatever, and do not have even a single piece of nonstick chemical cookware in our home. The stainless griddle actually works pretty well if it is slathered with bacon grease (or politically correct oil) before dropping the eggs, pancakes, or whatever onto it, but unlike the Griswold or the Bourgeat, it (like the enameled Descoware) tends to grab eggs if we have not used ample grease.

We purchased a Lodge cast iron griddle in the late 1970s and used it for a quarter century before we replaced it with the Griswold. I serially (and seriously) tried all of the seasoning strategies in the universe over that time -- I gave that griddle every opportunity to shine -- and the ferschlugginer thing just never got with the program. We ended up giving it to charity.

With greased stainless steel and with seasoned cast iron and seasoned black steel, the biggest contributor to nonstick performance seems to be patience. An egg that you try to turn too soon will stick; wait a few more seconds, and it releases beautifully. We keep a large bowl of Patience by the cooktop, but I must admit that I occasionally fail to use it when I should.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2LittleFishies might be interested in this one

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    10 years ago

from Tramontina:

The griddle that we make in our Lyon line would be compatible with your induction stove top. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

The Lyon can be seen and purchased on QVC.com, chefscatalog.com and cookâÂÂsstore.com. Our website does have some information on this line, please click below.
    http://www.tramontina-usa.com/Lyon2-Garnet%20Product%20Info.html

• wallycat
    10 years ago

The round cast iron lodge (pizza "stone") that I posted is pre-seasoned. It should be fairly easy to maintain it.
    If you are looking for something lighter, have you looked at carbon steel?
    http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-CRS15-Pre-Seasoned-Skillet-15-inch/dp/B009418TN6/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1370993128&sr=1-2&keywords=carbon+steel+lodge

http://www.amazon.com/Chef-King-Gauge-Steel-Griddle/dp/B001BQYS3C

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

2fishies - I thought this was a slam dunk but not sure if it is made anymore. I did find a link on WS - I am pretty sure this is it - AC D5 with non-stick interior.
    http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/all-clad-d5-stainless-steel-nonstick-square-griddle-pan/

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    10 years ago

a2gemini- Yes, I remember there being one but now can't find it?

wallycat- I don't think the Chef King works with induction. It says gas or electric. I can't get the first link to open.

Tramontina seems to be a grill pan. I emailed them back to confirm if they have a griddle pan.

Thanks fori and heringmaven for your great posts!

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    10 years ago

wallycat- Oh, yes the Chef King I posted (probably same as yours) does say induction.

• wallycat
    10 years ago

Search Lodge carbon steel. It offers quite a few products.
    Similar to their "pizza stone," they also make it in carbon steel...much lighter. I'm debating on getting it, even though I have the cast iron version.

• gwlolo
    10 years ago

I have tried de buyer carbon steel and it gets too hot too fast on induction. Do not like it for batter based things like pancakes. Frankly at the end of day, my investment in ScanpanCTX which is induction friendly Scanpan has been worth the money to me. Eggs everyday and pancakes on weekends for DD. cleans up easy and perfect results everyday. It is an investment though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scanpan CTX

• cindallas
    10 years ago

The griddle (and grill) question on Induction has me on the fence on which way to go for myself too. So am interested in these results. I don't know if this will work on the regular Thermador induction cooktop (or any brand I guess), but the Thermador Freedom Induction has two available griddles they call "Teppan Yaki" pans listed under Accessories. I need five hobs so the max of four put this one out of consideration as well as being over budget. Maybe someone that already has a regular induction can try these and report back??

Two sizes are shown in a 13x14 and a 13x21, in a nice stainless steel with upright handles. Curiously, the description states "7 ply material of 18/10 stainless steel with additional copper and aluminum used for fast and even heating" . Anyone familiar with these or have used them?

Here is a link that might be useful: Thermador Freedom Induction Accessories - Teppan Yaki griddles

• MizLizzie
    10 years ago

wallycat & all -- love that Chef King pan! Do you think it could be used on the 11" induction hob on my Bosch? Or could it be used over two elements? I don't have a bridge element. I'm thinking the answer to both questions is no. But so far, my new Bosch has been mighty forgiving . . . (she said hopefully.)

• MizLizzie
    10 years ago

Was just surfing eBay for an Erie Griswold and saw this one which might work on a bridge element. But I wasn't sure about the bottom? It isn't flat. I throw it out in case anyone is interested. Bids end today. (Also, note seller's discrepancy in shipping costs.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Erie Griswold long griddle on eBay

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I didn't get to read the last 3 or 4 posts but I bought the Chef King square griddle and will let you know how it works! : ) Be back later!

Fishies

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Let me know how it works - I am happy with the AC but maybe something better exists - just don't forget to bake the bacon!

• herring_maven
    10 years ago

MizLizzie: "Was just surfing eBay for an Erie Griswold and saw this one which might work on a bridge element. But I wasn't sure about the bottom? It isn't flat. "

It does not need to be flat to work on induction. That griddle would have worked (it has been sold now) just fine on an induction cooktop.

• MizLizzie
    10 years ago

Thanks, h.m.! A week into my new cooktop, and I have lots to learn.

I will keep an eye on eBay. There seems to be a lot of cast iron selling on there.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I DIDN'T buy the Chef King. I got the Vollrath one! It came today. I'll test it out tomorrow!

The corners are outside of the circle obviously. Any tips for preheating? How long should I wait so that the pan is evenly heated?

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I DIDN'T buy the Chef King. I got the Vollrath one! It came today. I'll test it out tomorrow!

The corners are outside of the circle obviously. Any tips for preheating? How long should I wait so that the pan is evenly heated?

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just wanted to update that so far I LOVE the Vollrath. It heats evenly and is great non-stick : )

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK, in the last couple of weeks my induction hob won't power on with my Vollrath. I have to put one or both of my hands, on the griddle in order to get it to "work".
    I'm assuming the griddle isn't making enough contact?

• jwvideo
    10 years ago

"Contact" should not be the issue because induction ranges and cooktops do not depend on contact with the glass surface. AFAIK, the pan sensors work from the amount of metal mass detected in the rather short magnetic field above the hob. Unless that Vollrath griddle is very seriously warped --- like heading to a "v" shape or twisting itself --- my suspicions would focus on something failing in the pan/mass sensors. These have to "see" enough magnetic metal mass above the burner for the burner to come on. I would be inclined to call for warranty service. (Your Thermador is still under warranty?)

I'm not sure how the mass sensors on the Thermadors are set up, but have you tried putting that Vollrath griddle on a different burner? If it heats up on other burners, that would tell me that there may be something failing with the sensors for the burner you have been using. It you have the same problem with every burner, I would suspsect something failing in the processor/circuit board that controls the sensors.

In the meantime, do you have a cast iron skillet? If so, try laying that on the griddle before starting. When the griddle starts heating (if it starts heating), pull the CI pan off and see if the griddle continues to heat. If it does, you've got a workaround until you can get service to check your cooktop's electronics. And you don't risk burning your hands.

This post was edited by JWVideo on Sun, Aug 18, 13 at 11:50

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hmm... Yes it's still under warranty.
    The griddle does work on the other burners just not the center one! Once it's warm it's fine in the middle and it does sense it. But when all is cool, it doesn't sense the griddle.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thermador is coming next week to check it out...

• attofarad
    10 years ago

2, does the center burner still sense correctly with pans when cool?

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cool pans or cool burner? The center burner senses all other pots correctly except for the griddle. Although of course I just tried it again and it worked but it usually doesn't sense the griddle.

• attofarad
    10 years ago

Well, if it is sensing all other pans correctly, I doubt that the visit from the Thermador folks will be worth anyone's time. I expect that they will just say that it is working normally.

• jojo100
    10 years ago

Has anyone tried the Le Creuset cast iron reversible griddle/grill which is 18 1/2 inches by 10 inches? I was thinking of getting it.
    I am bummed that I can no longer use my All Clad cast aluminum double burner griddle, since I loved this piece and used it a lot.

• joc6820
    10 years ago

I got the Vollrath a few months ago. Works great on Thermador induction cook top. Quality seems very good. Had pancakes this morning.

• michaeljc8
    8 years ago

WARNING: The Vollrath does NOT work on all induction units! It Specifically does not work on Samsung Chef's Collection Induction Range. And don't buy it from webstaurant.com, it will cost you a 30% restocking fee just to find out.

• vickinbobyo
    7 years ago

Don't know if this is still open, but my Viking induction range says no cast iron. I am looking for a grill pan, any ideas

• Kim G
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Look at Chef King (which I have and works well across bridged elements). Cuisinart has a Try Ply Pro griddle MCP45-25s which is fairly new and has good reviews on amazon. For a single burner I have a scan pan. I am surprised viking says no cast iron - scratching? I would ask them why. I put a paper towel under mine. I have a wolf induction.

• jwvideo
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

vickinbobyo --

Are you looking for a griddle (flat surface for pancakes etc.) or a grill pan (ridged surface pan used for high termperature searing and leaving grill marks akin to what you might see from an outdoor bbq-grill)?

As for the Viking manual, some four years ago, Luv2Putt reported here that all cast iron
    cookware worked excellently on his Viking induction range. For a
    search, try going to google/ask/etc. and using "gardenweb + racing red
    induction + Luv2Putt" for a search string.

It has long been known that this particular passage in Viking's manual was hooey. At one time, VIking tried to justify this passage by having some marketeer opine that cast ron is dangerous because it gets hot and stays hot for a long time. The Schott ceramic/glass top is designed for thermal shocks of up to 750°. That's way above the melting temperature of lead. Maybe you want to braze metal rather than braise or sear food? Nobody should be cooking at such a high temperature on a residential range. The safety circuits in induction burners should shut off well before that temperature is reached. That will happen whether the pan is cast iron, carbon steel, stainless steel, or multiply-stainless with aluminum or copper layers.

That passage in the Viking manual was written by somebody with no idea of how induction works. Also, likely written because VIking's marketeers got gun-shy from having previously marketed a very expensive portable countertop induction burner with the utterly peculiar inability to work with enameled cast iron cookware from Le Crueset and Staub. Those very well-regarded pans and griddles worked (and work) very well on every other induction burner known. (FWIW, Viking out-sourced its now long discontinued portable from the Luxine Co., now a Vollrath subsidiary. The current Vollrath portable units do not exhibit the LC/Staub peculiarity, btw.)

But if the "no cast iron" that passage in Viking's manual still makes you nervous, look for "carbon steel" grill pans and or any of the other alternatives suggested above.

• vickinbobyo
    7 years ago

Thank you for the feed back. I do not have a bridge burner on my range, but I will look at the grill pan. I have used my Le Creuset dutch oven with no problem, but always put down parchment with my regular cast iron to safeguard scratches. Don't worry I am not brazing metals. LOL

• weedmeister
    7 years ago

I was going to say that the 'danger' of cast iron is that it may not have a flat bottom (a ring around the perimeter) and this can cause some issues. Also, it can scratch. And it is heavy such that you don't want to drop it on the glass surface. But as long as you are mindful of these things, it is one of the best types to use on induction.

• lharpie
    7 years ago

I mostly use cast iron on my Miele induction (I assume they both have Ceran tops) - definitely don't bother with the waste of parchment or something underneath it. No scratches yet in 9 months. I can't imagine why you couldn't use cast iron. As long as you are looking for a size for one burner I would do cast iron.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'm still ISO a good griddle (for pancakes, etc) for my induction : ) I"m the OP...