Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
motleydog_gw

Induction cooktop amps

motleydog
13 years ago

For anyone that installed induction cooktops with electric wall ovens and other high amps appliances (electric dryer, speed ovens, etc.). Does it require the amps to the house to be increased from 100 to 200? Inductions require 50 amp. Electric ovens typically require 30 or 40. Electric dryers require 30 and some speed ovens require 30 amps. The A/C is on 60. If the house is wired with 100amps, seems an induction cooktop may require it to be increased to 200. I assume that is an additional $2K or more in electrical costs?

Comments (7)

• weedmeister
    13 years ago

It depends. If you're replacing an existing range with an induction cooktop, probably not. It also depends on size, since some induction tops only require 40 amps.

But 100 amps seems pretty puny to start with.

And this is a discussion for your electrician.

• motleydog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I understand many newer homes are wired for 200amps now, but most older homes were 100. My guess is that the cost of a new breaker box and upgraded amps will add about $2-5K to the cost of the remodel. It makes a gas cooktop more appealing to me.

Just curious if anyone with 100amps to the house has induction.

• earthpal
    13 years ago

We have been thru this with our project. Cost figures sound about right... We went from 100 amps to 200 amps and I need to balance some things once in awhile. If you are going to the trouble of adding a new panel, then I would consider going up even more now because it is easier to do it all at once.

Our 36" induction cooktop requires 50 amps and our single oven/mw combo requires another 40 I believe. Of course, I rarely use the cooktop and all firing... :)

We had originally looked at getting another gas cooking appliance until I started researching and discovering concerns regarding air quality inside the home. That combined with the ease of cleaning the induction cooktop was enough for us to go induction.

You definitely need to talk with an electrician, because this can be complicated because of knowing where to put the outlets for the various appliances can vary by mfg. as well.

• motleydog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks earth pal. I may be able to find a need to go to 200 or 250. But if it is only to have induction cooktop, not sure I can justify the costs. Have to make sacrifices somewhere or the costs of remodeling will continue to climb.

• kaseki
    13 years ago

Even considering rules in the Code that account for the probability of everything being on at the same time, your numbers suggest a need to upgrade even without the addition of an induction cooktop.

kas

• earthpal
    13 years ago

Motleydog,

sad but true, our project did end up expanding quite a bit but hopefully that won't be the case for your project. ;) Our house was built with as many appliances being gas as they could, thus why our amp panel was so low. If you are thinking of going more electric, then you might want to consider upping your panel. If you are in a warm area and need AC, then I would consider switching as well.

Maybe you can do your project in stages to help spread out the cost factor??

• fun2cook
    13 years ago

I have a contractor in my house right right, beginning demolition. And we were just talking about electrical requirements. If you have an electric oven, it should be on a dedicated (nothing else on it) 220. It you have an electric or induction cooktop, it also needs to be on a dedicated 220. If you have an over-stove microwave/exhaust fan, it also needs to be on a dedicated line, not sure if it has to be 220, 110 is probably ok. Since I am going with a gas cooktop, the igniter system for it, and my overhead fan can share a 110 line. but check with your contractor or electrician. Local building codes play a defining role.