Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
REALLY stupid tomato question

Posted by foodonastump (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 10:58

Are green tomatoes, i.e. for fried green tomatoes, just unripe tomatoes or are they a specific variety?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: REALLY stupid tomato question

Now how the heck did this end up in appliances, LOL!

o

Yes, unripe.

o

It is what you do with the bushels of green tomatoes at the end of the season when the first frost is going to hit and kill off all of those tomatoes that haven't yet ripened.

o

Haha. Frost forecast means a quick run outside to the garden to get all the green tomatoes and peppers to make green tomato relish and fried green tomatoes. Sometimes in the summer I have to have fried ones too.

o

When we had our garden, we'd make fried green tomatoes using whichever variety of unripe tomatoes we felt like using (I think we found some varieties were a little better than others because they didn't turn mushy when fried???). Of course, in those days we had so many tomatoes coming out of the garden, we could fry up some of the green ones, and still have PLENTY left over for eating in salads, sandwiches, cooking into sauce, and giving away.....sigh. LOL

o

As everyone has already responded, green tomatoes in fried green tomato recipes are unripe. But there are green tomatoes that are green when ripe, i.e. Green Zebra. We grew this one year and found that the color was a big turnoff for many. Pity, it's a great tomato.

Cheryl

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here