Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help with my 42" hood?

Posted by kksmama (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 15, 13 at 10:54

Hoods are the Rodney Dangerfield of kitchen appliances, they get no respect. It seems that most of us resent spending money on them, and make compromises regarding size and performance.

I've read a lot of threads here (thank you, Kaseki!) and have just about decided on a 42" cabinet hood over my 36" 90k btu KA rangetop (against a wall). 12' ceilings make an all in one chimney style hood unappealing because of the cost and look of flue extensions. The cabinet hood ($1200) will be made to my specifications once I've decided on the insert. Installation requires a new hole in my ceiling and venting through the roof, $850. So I'm at 2k and have no motor or liner :(

I won't grill indoors, and have never done much stir fry (but maybe that was because I didn't have an adequate range/vent?). I don't have any other gas appliances or a fireplace, and will often open a window, so I'm not going to address make up air. I think a 600 to 900 cfm should be adequate. Like everyone else, I'd prefer quiet and am unlikely to use the highest fan speed.

I've explored tradewind (thanks to posters here on GW) and Kobe. I'm open to suggestions! Tradewind has a 40.5 x 22" model http://www.umiphx.com/PDFS/SPECSHEETS/VSL400-BF Liner Spec Sheet.pdf for under $1000, it would cost more and be slightly more powerful (665 vs 836 cfm) with an inline blower. I don't know pricing on any other options.

So all that background to ask:
How should I have the hood designed to assist capture - would placing the liner up high and making the opening of the hood deeper than 24" be better? Is this a reasonable plan, or will I be sorry I didn't spend more (ouch!) for the least loved appliance? Is there a way to have adequate performance and aesthetics for less money?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help with my 42" hood?

check out Zephyr. They not only have good liners but have their own MUA accessory

not too much info but Zline seems to have good deals as well

Good luck

o

Thank you springplanter, I'll add that to my list. I'm wondering about my plan to keep cfms on the "lower" side (600-800) but design capture area on the "higher" side (42" over 36" cooktop, wall in the back, extra depth?) Will this give me better than typical results (admittedly a low bar)? How deep should this hood be - the liners seem only to go to 22", how deep do people make their hoods?

o

If lower temperature cooking is all that is envisioned, then the upward velocity of the cooking effluent will be lower than one might expect with all-out cooking. This will reduce the required cfm in proportion. However, if along with this reduction the hood aperture is increased, overall cfm will have to increase because the desired velocity of the hood air should be maintained over the larger aperture area. Then there is the question of whether decent ventilation will lead to all-out cooking.

You will want the aperture large enough to capture the expanding effluent from the edges of pans as they would be used on the cooktop. If a 3-inch to each side pan overlap is used, then the front-to-back dimension should also provide at least that much overlap. And the center of the hood should be over the center of the pan areas, and not merely the center of the stove. This applies specifically to island and peninsula hoods in open air.

This scheme can be modified when the stove is against a wall because rising effluent will be directed by the wall and any side cabinets into the hood aperture. This may allow moving the hood slightly forward to gain overlap at the front. There nonetheless has to be a way to direct the back effluent into the hood aperture.

Liners expect to fully line the cabinetry that covers them, so if they are undersized, one has to extend them. All internal hood cabinetry has to be covered with stainless steel if it is exposed to potential fire, and in any case this will make cleaning possible.

kas

o

Then there is the question of whether decent ventilation will lead to all-out cooking. (Kaseki)

Indeed. My current range is so underpowered (and the recirculating hood so useless) that I can go to other rooms and use my nose to tell me when I should return to do some stirring. I'll have to make myself use timers now instead of relying on smell!
Thank you for the reply, Kas. All GWers are glad to have your expertise on the boards!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here