Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deb52899

Kenmore Elite range?

Debbi Branka
10 years ago

We are replacing our freestanding GE electric flat top range. I really wanted induction, but the new range must be white and Viking is the only induction in white. Viking is missing too many other features for me to be happy spending over $6k. (No clock or timer; my grandson could turn on the knobs; etc.) Anyway, I have given up on induction and gone to back to the flat top, which I have been perfectly happy with for 19 years. I would like a double oven. Most come with a warming drawer and we already have a warming drawer in our island. I got really excited about the Electrolux wave touch where the bottom drawer is actually an oven, the top is flat, comes in white, etc. Then my sales guy figured out that they discontinued the Wavetouch in white and now only the IQ comes in white (and a warming drawer, no 2nd oven). I was also, the JennAir flat top, single oven, warming drawer. Then found out that that also has been discontinued in white. Grrr! I found a white WaveTouch online. I'm not sure of the reputation of the company. But while searching, I found a Kenmore Elite which has a white flat top (the Electrolux Wavetouch cooktop is black, although the range is white), double same size ovens (not one small and one large), and BOTH ovens are convection! It has electronic controls instead of knobs (which I would like). It also has more watts than the Electrolux and JennAir. The only things it doesn't have are the ball bearing sliding oven racks (Electrolux) which I love and the blue oven interior (Electrolux) which I also love. My 20 year old fridge was a Kenmore. Our current garage fridge is a Kenmore. I used to like Kenmore's quality. But we bought a Kenmore Elite washer and dryer several years ago that was total junk. We now have GE. I've never purchased Kenmore since that washer/dryer problem. I'm scared by it. Anyone have any reviews or thoughts on this Kenmore Elite range: Sears Item# 02241112000 : Model# 41112 ? Thank you!

Comments (17)

• jwvideo
    10 years ago

For me, the first thing I would want to know is who made that range for Sears. If it is by GE, it is probably pretty reliable. If by others, then less reliable. According to Consumer Reports' annual surveys of membership on appliance reliability, recent Kenmore ranges are twice as likely to need repairs in the first five years as GE/Hotpoint and Whirlpool branded ranges. The GE and WP-branded electric stoves run about 4% to 6% with Kenmore (an average of all Kenmores), LG, Frigidaire and Whirlpool's Maytag brand running about 11-12% defect rates. Whirlpool's Jenn Aire and Kitchenaid run about 14% to 16%, being the least reliable of all major brands of electric ranges.

The model number should have a three-number "dot" prefix like this: xxx.0224111200.

If you can find that prefix, the link below can tell you who the maker was.

Here is a link that might be useful: Appliance 411 list of who makes what for Sears

• Debbi Branka
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That Kenmore is made by Frigidaire. Should I try it? What about the Electrolux? I feel so wishy-washy about this!

• weissman
    10 years ago

You shouldn't be so hung up on white. A stainless steel range can look good with other white appliances. Focus more on the features and reliability than the color.

• Debbi Branka
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Weissman. I can't mix appliance colors. If it was just for a year or so and then I would be replacing the other stuff, I would do it, but since everything else is new, I can't mix. And I don't like stainless anyway. So white is my only option.

• jwvideo
    10 years ago

Deb:

In case you didn't know, Frigidaire is owned by Electrolux. The company uses the "Electrolux" brand for higher-end offerings like the Icon and Wavetouch line. AFAIK, both brands arel made in the same factories and so probably have the same level of reliability. Roughly nine out of ten customers seem to be happy with Frigidaires and Kenmores and one out of ten have problems in the first five years.

As for the on-line Electrolux vendor, you might ask if anybody here has dealt with them. Find out who does the warranty service.

Apparently, nobody here has that Kenmore model you've picked. Btw -- Is that a slide-in? You may have more choices in white if you could get a free-standing stove, although I'm not sure how many of them have equal-size double ovens. What I remember from stove shopping last fall, is that double ovens were available on LG, Samsung, GE, Frigidaire, Maytag and Kitchenaid brands. I only recall seeing one that had equal sized ovens. I think that was a Frigidaire and I believe it was white. The other brands had various combinations of large and small ovens. Some, like the GE Cafe, had lower ovens that they called "baking drawers" which are actually the same as countertop ovens that run on 120v and are pretty limited.

Another thing to consider, though, is buying a stainless model and painting the oven doors and and exposed side panels. Look up "appliance painters" in your yellow pages. Most of them are auto-body shops but some are industrial equipment painters. Here, in the Northern Rockies, I was told that having my oven door, base panel and a side panel powder-coated in white would cost about $100 per piece if I delivered the pieces and that it would take about three days. You would not have a completely white stove, of course, but it is an alternative.

• Debbi Branka
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks JW. I found the Kenmore in stainless at a store last night that I could see it in person. As soon as I saw it I didn't like it. It's very "sharp" - very square and I hate the handles. There was a GE Profile behind it that the guy was sure came in white. Nah, the white is discontinued! Anyway, I have a freestanding range right now. My backsplash is really pretty and done all the way down, so I really would like the slide-in. I'm not in a hurry. My current GE radiant range is moving to the basement when we are finished, and I'm putting a new stove in my regular kitchen. So no rush. Maybe someone besides Viking will make a white induction soon :)

• jwvideo
    10 years ago

You just jogged my memory. Frigidaire has a slide-in "hybrid" range (induction burners on the left side of the smoothtop and radiant burners on the right side). It has a soft brushed metal exterior -- some kind of "smudge proof" surface, I think --- that struck me as a soft white when I first saw it. IIRC, there was a light colored mesh in the oven glass that further enhanced the white-ish look. Admittedly, this was in a showroom under floursecent lighting, but it definitely did not look like the typical industrial-chic stainless steel. (Only the control panel was polished stainless steel). While it does not have double ovens, it might be something for you to check out. I recall somebody here posting about this model, too.

• Debbi Branka
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow I would like to see that!

• Debbi Branka
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So much for waiting. I ordered the Electrolux Wavetouch slide-in. It has a double oven and although it has been discontinued in white (only comes in stainless now), I found 2 stores online that still have it in white. I've never ordered an appliance online before, and I'm really hoping they don't email me and tell me that don't really have that stove in stock. Time will tell.

• BBQ-Chef
    10 years ago

There are only a handful of "Manufacturers", and many brands. You may find the link on the bottom useful.

As for determining who actually made your appliance use this link.

http://www.appliance411.com/purchase/sears.shtml

I hope it helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Who Makes What?

• Joyce Kuzmin
    8 years ago

The Kenmore Elite range has been a nightmare! When it was a day or two old, the main control panel needed to be replaced and it took over a week to get it done. We've had several other repairs but now the worst--it's 2.5 years old and the main processor needs to be replaced again, at a cost of $934. I've complained to Sears and the best offer they made was a %10 discount on a new range! As if I'll ever buy anything from them again.

• Debbi Branka
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

That's horrible Joyce. That has been my experience with Kenmore Elite (washer) and I won't buy it again.

The Electrolux I said I ordered above - it was gone. I ended up going an entirely different route and bought a BlueStar range and a BlueStar electric wall oven in navy blue. Way more money (range, wall oven and exhaust hood) than originally planned and way more work (had to buy a wall oven cabinet and hubby had to install it where the pantry was, tile backsplash where the OTR microwave was, etc.), but I'm really happy with the results. I've never cooked with gas before and I like it a lot.

• Joyce Kuzmin
    8 years ago
    Funny that's where you ended up Debbi - I'm looking at the blue star as a replacement Costco has a good price. One of the reviews said it has sharp edges. Did you find that?
  • Debbi Branka
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Sharp edges? I haven't noticed that. I wonder where the reviewer meant. I've had my range since December and love it. The wall oven just arrived in May. While I love that too, I have less experience with it.

• Debbi Branka
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The range comes with 2 extra igniters. I'm pretty sure the oven door issue is an old problem and has been corrected. BS service has been great, although sometimes slow (with wall oven). I wouldn't hesitate to buy the range again. And it has no electronics, so any maintenance is mechanical and easy (for my hubby). I highly recommend it.

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    8 years ago

I have a Kenmore Elite Induction stove that is 4 or 5 years old -- I have had one repair to replace a rattling convection fan.

I love my stove.