Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chuckie137

dish drawers: Fisher Paykel vs. Kitchenaid vs. kenmore

chuckie137
15 years ago

I am trying to decide on dishwasher drawers for my small kitchen and can't decide because the options between manufacturers appear to be very similar. I heard alot about F/P, but rarely do I hear anything on the other 2.

Is one preferred over the other? Who has the best Dish drawers. Your feedback and/or experiences with these products would be very helpful in finalizing my decision.

Thanks

Comments (23)

• chuckie137
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all of the feedback. This was very helpful. I am going to take a look at the owner guides. So far, I am leaning toward the F&P.

• pamela928
    15 years ago

I liked the way the F&P held stemware, and I found the racks in the F&P had pins slightly closer together. I could fit in more dinner plates. But if you have "chubby" dishes, you may want the KA or Kenmore. I'd suggest taking your dishes into the store.

• queenbee589
    15 years ago

I was told recently by a sales rep at a well-known local app. store that ALL drawer type DW's are made by F&P for the various brands. The difference is in the cosmetics, racking & heating systems. Needless to say, this quite surprised me to learn that the KA 2-drwr. I was considering was actually made by F&P for KA!!

• dadoes
    15 years ago

queenbee589, the sales rep told you wrong. The Kenmore drawers are a design developed by Maytag, which Whirlpool acquired when they bought the Maytag company and decided to market them under the Kenmore Elite label. Kenmore has separate pumps/motors in *each* drawer for recirculate and drain, F&P/KA has one pump/motor per drawer. Kenmore has a different filtering system, and a different lid/seal system, different detergent dispenser, etc.

• cpovey
    15 years ago

In addition to KitchenAid and the F&P name, the identical drawers are also sold under the DCS name. F&P bought DCS a couple of years ago.

• queenbee589
    15 years ago

dadoes: Wondered about that. I did question differences between Kenmore, KA, F&P, etc., so was surprised when told "they're all really made by F&P". Stand corrected.

• nunmobile
    15 years ago

For whatever this is worth, the latest Consumer Reports dishwasher issue listed the Kenmore dishdrawers very last - said they didn't clean well.

• jbjoseph01
    15 years ago

The new Kitchen Aid models KUDD03DT and KUDD03ST are not made by Fisher Paykel. They are similar to the Kenmore models from the Maytag platform.

• dadoes
    15 years ago

I heard last year that KA was making a change on their drawers, but couldn't find any further details or a target time-frame for the change. I suspected it would be changing to the Kenmore design, since KA is a Whirlpool-family brand. KA's web site lists the new models and mentions a Sensor Wash feature ... so there you have it!I heard last year that KA was making a change on their drawers, but couldn't find any further details or a target time-frame for the change. I suspected it would be changing to the Kenmore design, since KA is a Whirlpool-family brand. KA's web site lists the new models and mentions a Sensor Wash feature.

So ... the newest KA drawer models KUDD03 series are not sourced from F&P ... but previous models were.

• blacter_gmail_com
    15 years ago

Do any of you know if racks from the F&P will fit the KitchenAid? We had a DD602 and replaced it with the KitchenAid. For us, the DD602 racks worked better, so I'm wondering if I can buy a set of F&P replacement racks and have them fit the KitchenAid.

• rxsales_aol_com
    13 years ago

Read Fisher Paykel annual report, should shine some light on who makes these and financially how the company is trying to stop bleeding.
    Also note new Fisher Paykels going back to tradition design. One door, keeps from pulling and pushing all external hoses, electric lines, FLOOD PANS, etc., in a environment of cold, hot, humid, dry, not stable, but moving parts with every open and close. It is pretty easy to see that no company has copied this design, it's poor. look good, that is it.

• billt_ashevillethermoformplastics_c
    13 years ago

I have a Kitchen-Aide 2-drawer dishwasher model# KUDH03DTBL that was installed in Feb 2009. Worked well for several months then started leaking and shutting down mid cycle. Whirlpool has sent A&E service techs in 12 times and the dishwasher still leaks. We had another authorized service tech come in 3 times and he declared the dishwasher unrepairable. Whirlpool refuses to replace the dishwasher, but they did offer to sell me a new one for $600. I do not consides this an offer, but an insult.
    Moral of the story, stay away from Whirlpool products, the company does not stand behind their products.

• deedeepwb_gmail_com
    12 years ago

have the original F&P dishdrawer purchased 1997 or there abouts. serviced once. Bottom drawer went out 2 weeks ago and now the top drawer has an error code requiring extensive service. I am purchasing another F&P as I just love the versatility of the 2 drawers and it works well for just 2 in the household.

• MessalineApghar_aol_com
    12 years ago

I have the original model F&P single drawer, I forget the model but 604 sticks in my head.

We purchased it from Expo , with their extended service contract and installed by Expo. it's been serviced a number of times, usually by A&E, who I find to be quite uncooperative.

it's been serviced enough times that it should have been replaced under the no-lemon clause of the service contract.

It's been a nightmare since day-1, though now, finally, Home Depot's executive offices are making an effort to replace it with the KA Single drawer unit. the problem they are having is sourcing, since Home Depot no longer sells KA or FP products.

but one thing I was told by the service tech, is that the KA models made by FP use a heavier-duty main motor. not having opened the internals of a KA i'm not sure this is true, I only have the service-tech's word on it.

• plant1965
    11 years ago

Kenmore is not made by Fisher Paykel! Fisher Paykel does make kitchen aid! Kenmore is made by whirlpool-Maytag! I have read reports that FP and KA need repairs often, do not know the truth in this!

• dadoes
    11 years ago

Plant1965,

The first-generation KitchenAid drawer units (KUDD01) were sourced from Fisher & Paykel.

Kenmore and Maytag (and Jenn-Airî) were never F&P. They're manufactured by Fulgor for Whirlpool using a design that Whirlpool got from Maytag upon purchasing the Maytag company in 2006.

Second-generation KA units are also the Maytag design, not F&P. KA no longer sells drawer units on the U.S. market but still uses the F&P design on the European market last I checked.

DCS-branded units are also F&P. F&P owns DCS.

The designation DishDrawer⢠is trademarked by F&P and should be used only in reference to their units. KA, Kenmore, Maytag & Jenn-Airî refer to their machines as "drawer dishwashers," not DishDrawersâ¢.

My DD603 will be 9 years in 19 days (8/21/2012) and no repairs thus far.

• mazzalyn
    8 years ago

I owned a FP double draw dishwasher in 2003. I loved the draw concept for a dishwasher, but after 5 years it stated to malfunction due to the moisture getting in the controls from the seals breaking down. I would buy another one again in a hearbeat if they made one with the controls on the outside of the dishwasher.

• dadoes
    8 years ago

Which seals? Which controls? The cycle selection "buttons" on top edge of the drawers is a solid surface capacitive-touch interface, no seals involved there. The mechanical pushbuttons for Power, Start/Pause, and Keylock are on front/outside.

My DD603 is now 12 years old. The drain hoses both developed cracks a few weeks ago, resulting in some leaking. I replaced the hoses (which I admit was quite a chore). The LCD backlight on the upper drawer also had gone out some months ago, which didn't prevent it from running of course, but I took the parts-order opportunity to replace the little PC board there and update the hose/harness link supports to the newer revision. Ought to be good-to-go for another 12+ years.

• chisue
    8 years ago

dadoes -- Talk to me about the hoses, please. Our F&P drawers were new in 2001 and both still work well. BUT...maybe I should have a plumber check the drain hoses next time we need to call a plumber? We use the top unit all the time. Have to remind myself to at least RUN the bottom drawer once in a while. If/when these drawers die, what would you buy? KA drawers?

• dadoes
    8 years ago

ChiSue,

The drain hoses flex every time the drawers are opened/closed but there's no immediate concern unless they're leaking. They're designed to be flexible but cracking at some point of aging is a fairly common thing. The fill hoses also flex but they're more of a stretchy/rubbery material than the drain hoses. My lower drawer drain hose had a crack a few inches behind the drawer. Both had cracks where they exit behind the unit and made a sharp turn toward the left through the cabinetry partition. Impossible to see back there when the unit is in place so I have no idea how much bend is in effect on the new hoses. :-|

KA discontinued drawer dishwashers a few years ago. The only brand currently on the US market is F&P, and possibly DCS (which is owned by F&P). I considered updating to the latest model (tall upper drawer!) and the racking is more adjustable now ... but decided to fix the DD603.

• mrm235
    8 years ago

Our F&P double draw was purchased in 2003. Love the look and never had a problem until about a year ago. Top draw stopped working, they said to replace the mother board at a cost of $800. didn't do it, just continued to use the bottom. Now bottom draw is leaking. Looking for a new dishwasher, would love to get another one of these, but I am a little leery.

• dadoes
    8 years ago

MRM235,

You didn't say what is your model.

$800, who are "they" that gave you the quote? A replacement board currently is ~$168 for a 603 series. Total $800 would be $632 for labor/service/sales taxes, which is ridiculous.

Leaking covers a lot of territory ... cracked drain hose, lid not sealing (bad motor, broken yoke, torn seal), water inlet valve, split/cracked spray arm spraying water through the drying vent, several other possibilities.