Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cincy_remodel

Bosch benchmark speed ovens

cincy-remodel
9 years ago

We are getting close to a remodel and have narrowed down to the Bosch series. We like their induction range and the refridge will meet our needs. I am confused by their speed oven microwaves. They have two models. One is the 800 series HMC80151UC. This one plugs in for 120 volts. The second is the benchmark model HMC80251UC. This wires in at 240volts. The benchmark sells for a bit more. I can't find any other difference. For the GE advantium the additional power is supposed to be a significant advantage. Does anyone understand the difference?

Comments (23)

• alerievay1
    9 years ago

We are also looking at that speed oven. The sales person stated to us there is no difference other than the voltage. Of course, you will get faster/better performance with the 240v. That is the one we plan to purchase.

This is intended to be a direct competitor for the Advantium. The pricing is a little better, and I greatly prefer the looks to the GE.

• cincy-remodel
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Does anyone have confirmation that the 240v will perform better or is it just a wiring convince for certain applications. I'm trying not to infer what I know about the advantium being true for this model. They really need to improve their product descriptions.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

They are not making the 2 different versions because of a "wiring difference". People are installing these speed ovens in new kitchens or complete renovations, where they'll provide whatever power is needed to the appliance. 120V is easier and therefore less expensive to get to any particular location, so there is no reason to run 240V if there is no difference in performance over 120V. Plus, you can derive 120V from a four wire 240V circuit, so it's not like they're making it for "retrofit purposes". So in conclusion, if a 240V speed oven was no better than a 120V speed oven, they would not offer the 240V.

According to the Bosch website, the two ovens have the same power heating elements: 1750 watt broil, 1000 watt microwave, and 1700 watt convection. Yet, under "installation requirements" the 120V will use at most 1920 watts, and the 240 will use 3840. This makes sense, because both ovens are meant to be installed on a 20 amp circuit, so they pull 16 amps. That 16 amps will take you twice as far when the voltage is doubled. So, if they have the same heating elements, how can they use different amounts of power overall?

The answer probably lies in the programming of the speed ovens. The computer will not let it draw too much power, and therefore will have to compromise on the cooking. This means the 120V won't be able to use more than one element at once, or either element at the same time as the magnetron. To keep it a "speed oven" that means the 120V version would have to rely more on the microwave, lowering the quality of the results. It's really a similar situation to the Advantium, where they had to cut back on the halogen lights in the 120V and use the microwave more.

• cincy-remodel
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you to both alerievay and hvtech42. I had not noticed the power draw difference on the installation requirements. I agree it must be doing something it is too bad Bosch can't be more specific in their product description to explain the difference.

• cincy-remodel
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I received this feedback from the Bosh representative via our appliance dealer. This information is not in the manual, but I thought I should follow up since I asked the question.

"Benchmark (240v) can use both traditional and microwave energy at the same time (in the AutoChef mode only) allowing for 10% faster cooking time. The 800 series (120v) will cycle the heating elements and magnetron.

The Benchmark will preheat faster as it allows more elements at once to operate."

The price difference is not huge, and wiring issues may complicate each persons decision, with the above hopefully you can decide for yourself is these differences are significant.

• daytonbuild2014
    9 years ago

We are building a home and looking at the Bosch line of appliances. We have also read about the positive reviews and the following that the GE Advantium speed ovens have and thought we could consider the new Bosch speed microwaves as an alternative to the Advantium. The problem is that there are no reviews on the Bosch speed ovens (they are new) and no one in our area has a floor model to even show us.

I did download the user manual from Bosch website. Based on what the manual says, there are very few automatic programs : 9 Auto Chef programs, sensor reheat, 9 sensor cook programs (microwave), and then 6 'more modes': keep warm, convection broil, melt butter, melt chocolate, soften ice cream, soften cream cheese (soften cream cheese...really?!). As far as I can tell the only combined mode is convection broil...and there are really no instructions on how to set this or how this cooks food.

Compare this to the 175 Advantium programs that combine micro, halogen and convection together ...my take on the Bosch speed ovens is that you should be careful about buying these until they have been out longer with reviews, users, etc.

• dodge59
    9 years ago

Compare the Bosch to the Electrolux which is Completely Automatic.

First the Elux has 134 built in recipes, just chose the recipe and it does the rest as far as cooking.

Then it has, (too many to count) programmed modes for all kinds of dishes. Baked potatoes, Fish, Poultry, Casseroles, deserts~~~~~~etc etc~~~You name it.

You just pick the item you wish to speed cook and it does the rests~~~~~
    sets preheat time, temperature, cooking time, ratio of Microwaving versus convection baking and it gives you "step by step" instructions on its white display readout.

It, however does not broil, and it uses a turntable, (which one must use for microwaving or speed cooking). Tray can be removed when not using the above functions.

Had mine for 8 years now and only problem with it was a screw came loose that mounts the handle.

Interior is stainless steel and at least according to some reports I've seen, the interior of the Elux is easier to clean than the Mieles.

Gary

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

I would assume the 9 "AutoChef" programs combine both convection and microwave cooking. Seems like a very small assortment though. This seems like more of a convection microwave than a speed oven, even though it can use both cooking methods at once. I would consider instead Advantium (made by LG), Electrolux (made by Sharp), and Miele.

• dodge59
    9 years ago

I'm pretty sure that the Electrolux Icon Speed oven is built by Electrolux, Not Sharp. The tag on it says Made in the USA. For a while some were built in Canada, but most of that got moved to the US.

I also have the Elux regular oven and they match perfectly, the wave touch panel, etc.

Click the helpful link below to see info on Electrolux US factory.

In fact before Whirlpool went on a "buying binge", Electrolux (AEG) was the largest manufacturer in the World. Now they are #2.

Gary

Here is a link that might be useful: Electrolux US oven and range factory

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Sharp is a Japanese company but many of their microwaves for the US market including the microwave drawer and that speed oven are made in their own plant in Memphis alongside their photocopiers and solar panels. You got yours a few years ago, am I right? The Elux Memphis plant did not exist then so if it were made by Electrolux it would have said "made in Canada." IMO Sharp along with Panasonic have the best quality microwaves.

Electrolux move to Memphis was a cost cutting measure. The city of Memphis pretty much financed the whole move, and when the Quebec factory closes this Friday and production accelerates in Memphis they will begin to enjoy the much smaller wages they will have pay the workers compared to the Canadian ones. A few years down the line when they decide that even an average wage of $13 per hour in Memphis is not enough, it will head to Mexico just like their laundry and refrigeration.

This post was edited by hvtech42 on Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 13:47

• chencita
    9 years ago

I am also deciding between the Bosch Benchmark and 800 speed ovens. Wiring isn't an issue because the electrician can put in either 120V or 240V for our remodel.

I understand that the Benchmark will be more powerful, not having to cycle between the elements, but can anyone give me a sense of what this means practically, like such-and-such food would cook in this amount of time in the Benchmark vs. in the 800, or certain foods would cook better, etc?

It looks about a $300-350 difference.

Thanks!

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Most foods would taste worse from the 120 because in order to maintain the "speed" aspect of things it would use the microwave more than the other heat sources. As we all know, food cooked with radiant and/or convection tends to taste better than microwaved food. IMO 120V speed ovens only make sense in retrofit situations. If you don't want to pay the extra for the 240V in new construction or a renovation, you should probably just get a microwave.

• kirstyeg
    8 years ago

Bump.

Would love to hear firsthand experiences with the Bosch Speed oven. Most of the reviews on the bosch website are people making popcorn and frozen pizza in it. I'm hoping to use this for a lot of everyday cooking, and as a small oven.

Also, if anyone has thoughts on pros/cons between this and other speed cook ovens out there (e.g. Miele) would love to hear.

Thanks!!

• tedbixby
    8 years ago

I love my Panasonic Microwave NN-CD989S. It is so much more than a microwave. I can use 9 x13 pans in it, I bake bundt cakes in it as I can do it on auto and they always come out perfect, convection, broil, all great results. I use it more as an oven than a microwave and I love it. The only drawback is that it isn't the easiest to clean. I am building a new home which will have Bosch and Viking Professional appliances and this Panasonic

• Judith McKenney
    8 years ago

I've had my Bosch Benchmark Speed Micro Oven for several months now. I have no experience with any other high-end micro. The comments I am reading here are making me regret not shopping more - it seems other brands have a lot of preprogrammed receipes/settings my Bosch does not offer! So far I have used it to bake muffins, which were fine, but mostly have used it for straight microwave functions. It is not as user friendly as my old counter top $100 microwave! It does bake a mean pizza!

Door handle was loose on installation. Had repairman out on warranty. He called Bosch who told him that one cannot just tighten a screw, but had to remove the door liner. The liner is not made to be removed without damage, so he had to order a new liner before he could remove the old one. This took 3 months. When it arrived he took off the old liner, tightened the handle, and then struggled to get the new one on. He took it home with him that evening to try some more! He finally got it together, but didn't like the fit and the handle was still loose! He called Bosch. They then informed him that they don't recommend taking the door apart, that he needed to order a new door! They could have mentioned that 3 months ago!

I am now trying to build a fire under Bosch to get that door here ASAP! I have talked to them on the phone several times and have learned there are 10 doors coming to my repairman's parts warehouse this month, but they are not sure if mine is among them! The fact that there are 10 doors coming makes me wonder about the quality of Bosch microwaves!

• wade_f_dwyer
    8 years ago

Some possibly useful information (just bought my 800 series combo oven, model HBO8751UC, and installed it yesterday)...

This 800 series combo oven actually includes the Benchmark speed oven (240V model HMC80251UC). It looks like the 500 series combo oven includes the same Benchmark speed oven (pull up the Bosch installation instructions to verify this for yourself).

A consequence of this arrangement is that something like a "Best Buy 10% off one item" (moving) coupon can save you a couple hundred extra dollars for this single SKU item. Most Bosch rebates do not apply for BB purchase because BB simply reduces the price by an identical amount. I also got a specialty appliance dealer to match the BB price (with rebate available to me in the back end), but I'm not sure how many dealers would do that.

• lisa7242
    7 years ago

I am planning on the Bosch Benchmark swing door oven and, was considering the Bosch Benchmark speed oven as well. From what I am reading in the owner's manual it seems the only things you can cook on speed (convection+microwave) are the 9 pre-programmed Auto Chef items? I would have expected an option to choose convection+microwave on items outside of these 9 even if I have to enter my own temp and monitor the time.

• robertgoulet
    5 years ago

Anyone have any updated feedback on these speed ovens?

We are trying to decide between a 24" sharp microwave drawer and a speed oven. The Bosch is the only 24" speed oven (at a reasonable price) and is only 250 more than the micro would be. We are planning double 30" wall ovens so its not that we need extra convection capacity and dont care about a speed oven being particularly speedy, but I was thinking a small convection oven like that would allow us to ditch the toaster oven on the counter (and keep a much more compact upright toaster in a cabinet).

I feel like the main complaint I have seen about the speed oven (24") is that its not particularly speedy...but this thread has shed some light on that as I am sure being 120v and having to cycle functions as opposed to simultaneous convection and microwave is making it less effective as a *speed* oven...

• kirstyeg
    5 years ago

Hi! I ended up with the Miele speed oven, it will be 2 years in May.

It a great tiny oven. (I also got it as a substitute for a much-used counter toaster oven.) I love how fast it heats up, and that it fits a full-size cookie sheet, unlike the old toaster oven. It is also a fine microwave, though I confess I also kept our old microwave in the pantry for the kids, and we use this one too.

We use speed oven far more than our full-size oven. I'd say over 90% of our oven cooking happens in the speed oven.

That said, I don't use the combo function (micro + oven) all that much. But when I do, it's less for speed than it is for cooking somewhat fast while still getting a nice crisp on the outside. It's great for reheating fried foods, for example.

Overall- ridiculous price for what it is. (At least, for the Mile one, hopefully the Bosch has come down in price, they were pretty close back when we were comparing.) But still super useful and I'd buy it again.

• chencita
    5 years ago

We got the 240V Bosch speed oven four years ago. It turns out we use it as a microwave a lot, and have only used the oven function a couple times. We actually got a Breville toaster oven a couple years ago and use that all the time. The speed oven display lights are now so dim that we can't even read the display and the door hinge spring stopped working, so at least our unit was not well-built. I was really excited about the idea of the speed oven when we installed it, but if I could go back, I'd just put in a microwave for a fraction of the cost and stick with the Breville as an extra oven.

• lisa7242
    5 years ago

We ended up with the Bosch Benchmark swing door oven and the Monogram Advantium speed oven; we also have the Bosch 800 Induction cook top and a Panasonic shelf microwave. Nearly 2 years later and we absolutely love our appliance choices. The Advantium speed oven is amazing - so glad we went with that over the Bosch.

Bosch Benchmark swing door oven

https://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/HBLP451RUC.html

Monogram Advantium (we upgraded to the Monogram for aesthetics)

https://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/ZSC2202JSS.html

Bosch 800 induction cook top

https://www.bosch-home.com/us/productslist/home-appliances/NIT8066SUC

• Judith McKenney
    5 years ago

An update to my previous comments regarding the Bosch Benchmark Microwave oven. I had posted that I had had a problem with the door and had a misinformed (by Bosch) repairman disassemble the door to repair a loose handle. I had been waiting for the door for a few weeks when I posted. The door was replaced and all went well - for awhile. Then the control unit failed! The clock had always lost time which, I think, was a clue...but the display got so dim as to not be able to read it. I contacted Bosch again and they sent me a completely new oven - even though the warranty had expired! It has been working fine ever since. I am still not happy with it’s lack of features, but it is functioning as designed.