Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mayflower1032

Bluestar Hot Surface Ignitor

mayflower1032
9 years ago

Geesh, $73 plus ridiculous $14 shipping? So much disappointment in parts pricing for this oven/stove. My old oven I could get parts at a fraction of the cost. Did tons of internet seaches for something cheaper or a knock off, nothing. If you have an alternative source, please advise.

Also, the actual ignitor that sits in the frame seems to be difficult to remove. Was thinking just match the ignitor to another brand and put back into the frame. It appears they have metal pieces fixed into the ignitor making it difficult to remove. The actual ignitor seems somewhat generic in size/shape though.

Comments (9)

• natashaB
    9 years ago

I will also be disappointed with the price. It's too expensive.

• tinyhomebuilder
    9 years ago

Hey Mayflower,

Just now saw your message. If you haven't bought one yet I have an unused BlueStar oven igniter. So let me know. I'll take a picture of it and post it here so you can determine whether or not it's the right part for your stove. If it is, you can have it for $44 including domestic US shipping.

• italiandna
    8 years ago

I found a suitable replacement for $23 with Free shipping on ebay. Not the actual replacement part but very close and works like a champ so far.

7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

How did you replace the blue star oven igniter? Please help.

• schangdpm
    7 years ago

BlueStar are crooks! I am very disappointed in their unethical business practices. I'm not sure if I will buy BlueStar again or recommend them to a friend. They are a premium product and we should expect more from them. Their replacement hot surface igniter is $85 plus shipping through them. This price seemed very suspicious to me and way above the industry standard prices,. They also provide very little specs on their product, so as to prevent the consumer from finding suitable replacement outside of them. It's bad enough their product breaks down on you, then they add insult to injury and "rape" you by gouging the price on a replacement item. Very unscrupulous of them. Shame on you BlueStar! I took a chance on buying a replacement item on eBay that looked similar for much less. Robert Shaw 501A was exactly same sized. When arrived it was identical in appearance. It was $23.48 shipped. It was a "plus and play item". Easily installed with a Phillips screw driver after some basic disassembly. I put it in and it has been lighting up ever since.

If a BlueStar Rep ever reads this. Please respond and explain your unsavory price gouging practices to us buyers who expect more.

Robert Shaw igniter

• John
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Here's one on Amazon for $15.38 with free shipping:

https://www.amazon.com/Coorstek-Ignitor-replacement-WB13K21-Electric/dp/B013P3Y7IO

Update:

Looks like there are different versions of the Robertshaw 501A type igniters with different dimensions and lead lengths:

https://www.robertshaw.com/Products/Cooking/Ignitors/41-205/?cat=2147484238)

https://www.robertshaw.com/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=2147485592 

Amazon has several versions for roughly the same price. Not sure if any are an exact Bluestar replacement.

Update 2:

Walmart (via Zoro) also sells some online:

https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=robertshaw%20igniter

https://www.zoro.com/search?q=oven+igniter

• dlnuzum
    6 years ago

Search for "ROBERTSHAW 501A Hot Surface Oven Igniter, Capilary 12in L" on eBay. I got it for $29.03 plus $5 shipping. It came in 3 days without paying anything extra. I had to flip the igniter around in its metal holder for the screws to line up properly. This took all of a minute. It is about 1" longer than the one that came with my BlueStar, but this additional 1" makes absolutely no difference. There is plenty of clearance. Not a problem at all. I think it actually works faster and better than the old one, which might have been on the fritz for a while before totally giving out.

I just wish that owning the "Cadillac of Stoves" didn't require repairing it as frequently as an old MG. Everything having to do with lighting the gas has failed, on every burner, some more than once (except the broiler igniter, which I don't use that much.). I hear that clicking sound in my sleep. Also one of the cast iron burner units actually sprung a leak out the side. I fixed it with a snippet of cast-iron stove gasket and gasket glue, but come on. This thing cost as much as my car!

And all those rivets and screws? Who chose aluminum pop-rivets for an oven that goes to 500º? And that shelf that holds the bottom oven pan in place? WTF? And the screws used to hold the burner igniters in place? I've had to drill out and retap them twice now.

When it works it's great. I'd just love to have a month or two when something doesn't go wrong. I'm always messing with it.

• julie holbrook
    last year

I feel your pain! I have had to have the ignitors replaced 4 times in less than 5 years and it's always a rip off. BlueStar has been zero help, their local vendor is even worse. I really wish I had purchased a wolf but this one was too expensive to switch now. :(