Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Viking - All Owners - Part II

Posted by rococogurl (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 28, 13 at 9:36

The original 2006 thread now has reached its limit. Here's a link to the old one called Viking - All Owners Please .

Went there to post the latest update with my Viking fridge which has gone through two controller board changes and two door recall changes since 2004.

For a while, the fan was making noise.

Now the freezer is not working properly -- ice cream remains soft and, suddenly, it won't make ice cubes.

This is a single-compressor refrigerator.

Viking will provide out of waranty service -- the appointment took 3 weeks to get. They charge $175 for the trip which includes the first 30 minutes, then $35 each 15 minutes thereafter, plus parts.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Viking - All Owners - Part II

Oh no!!! You've certainly had your share of trouble with that fridge!

o

Not thrilled as you might imagine. But the ice maker has worked for 10 years. I think it's the entire freezer, actually, but I don't know for sure since it sort of freezes.

We had two power outages in the past 6 months and the fridge seems to have a delayed reaction. We get a door alarm hours or a day later.

Hoping we don't need another new controller board (blown out when the power line broke) as that's only about 6 y.o. and it was expensive. The last service guy they sent really knew what he was doing -- hope the one I'm waiting for does as well. Fingers crossed.

If it's curtains for this fridge (I don't think so) I'm fairly sure two SZ models would fit -- either the glass door or the French door built-in as those are 36 x 84. But would be a big ouch after replacing the washer/dryer 5 months ago.

o

I feel your pain!

o

Turns out the "serpentine" part on the fridge needs to be replaced. The labor is expensive but it's the first repair in 10 years. The service company, Carl Schadel, is efficient and responsive. The tech was on time, quick and 100% business, which at $140/hour is much appreciated. Fortunately, this isn't another replacement situation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here