Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eatrealfood

For those who cannot vent outside

EATREALFOOD
11 years ago

Please tell me what 30" gas freestanding range you bought. Are you happy with it or do you regret the choice ?

Comments (12)

• mojavean
    11 years ago

Although I am not in your predicament, just in case Rococo Girl doesn't see this thread, I remember that she once posted a picture from her kitchen in NYC. She couldn't vent outside at all. She had a Bertazzoni 30" gas stove which see seemed quite fond of. It certainly looked great in the pics and I think it worked out really well for her. Hopefully if she sees this thread she will chime in and correct me if I am wrong about it.

• EATREALFOOD
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks.
    I read many posts but few followups.I'd like to know if people enjoyed their ranges regardless of heat output/smoke or lower BTU's.

• EATREALFOOD
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks.
    I read many posts but few followups.I'd like to know if people enjoyed their ranges regardless of heat output/smoke or lower BTU's.

• alexrander
    11 years ago

I have a high BTU Bluestar used in an apartment without any venting and truthfully, it works fine unless you're searing fatty meats, or cooking bacon. Then I open a window, or use the oven broiler which consumes the smoke (actually burns the smoke).

• mike_73
    11 years ago

I was in an apartment that had a stove and hood that wasn't vented outside. It was fine most of the time. the kitchen was small and there was a dining room but the kitchen got pretty hot in the summer if you used the oven. it was on a second floor too. I am now in a different apartment in the same building now the 1st floor and there is a vent to the outside so its better for sure but you can live with out. The tenant that I have it rented too now don't seem to mind it.

• yebo
    11 years ago

Mike,
    If you kow what kind of range you had on the 2d floor, let us know - and width.

• EATREALFOOD
    Original Author
    11 years ago

alexr--Exact;y the info I wanted ! But based on comments on other threads I'm worried think the BS may be too powerful. I would only be searing meat once a week but I do use a wok frequently.

I want to hear from others about ALL brands of GAS RANGES: Bosch, GE profile/Cafe, Verona, Berta, both pro and NON-pro.

• dan1888
    11 years ago

Vent-a-Hood has a new model for ductless venting. But 70% if the btus of a gas cooktop is waste heat transferred to your room. An induction range like a GE or Electrolux does not create that added heat.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vent-a-Hood

• colin3
    11 years ago

Ditto the above. If you are in a no-vent situation, gas seems like a poor choice.

• EATREALFOOD
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Some people may consider gas a poor choice if you cannot vent outside however it is considered the norm in apartments near me.
    Also I didn't put in a separate 50amp circuit for induction since I had planned on a gas range. If the next person who lives here wants induction so badly they can pay an electrician for the 50amps.
    I would like opinions about gas ranges that people are using in a non-vent situation not a critique of gas v. induction....

• EATREALFOOD
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I found this thread that others might find useful...considering the Berta when I have enough money saved up...

Here is a link that might be useful: Berta Thread #3

• mike_73
    11 years ago

Yebo - it was a gas Frigidaire 30" model. not sure what model it was but it was a 4 burner and a newer model that had the power and simmer burner on top, also stainless steel and self clean too. I had a recirculating hood over it.