Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Microwave with Convection Double Oven

Posted by PhilK1 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 3, 12 at 9:30

Hi All

Here's what we're trying to accomplish: To maximize available counter space we do not want a countertop microwave, but we want a microwave. We do not always need a double twin conventional/convection oven but there will be times that we need an extra oven for casseroles, etc. So what we've arrived at is a double wall oven that has a microwave on top with convection capability and a conventional on the bottom (with or without convection). A range with a microwave /convection above it would accomplish the goal, but my wife does not want a range) So we've identified the following units:

Jenn-Air JJW3830WS, KitchenAid Architect Series II KEMS378S, and the Bosch HBL8750UC (however, the Bosch is probably out because a pull down door is preferred)

We know we could do a GE Advantium or similar Electrolux with a separate single wall oven below. That option is not out but we'd prefer to stay with a combined double unit.

Are there any brands/models I missed? Any feedback on any of the ones I identified above. Thanks much.

Phil

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Microwave with Convection Double Oven

I personally would stay away from combined units, IMHO it can just lead to more problems. Single units tend to be, from what I have read, more reliable over the long term. Think of it this way, if either the over or the micro go out on a combined "double" unit then you could be down two units instead of just one. They have a combined set of controls on them, so again if the controls go bad you lose 2 units not just one. I know this may not happen often, but for me while I have been researching and my wife agrees with me on this, we feel safer going with separate units. One other advantage to getting separates is that you can get the features you want in each unit and not have to compromise on either unit.

Again, just my opinion.

Phil

o

We have the 30" KA 308 version. I assume the difference is the 27" version. Ours has a regular convection below and the small micro/convection above. I often bake in the microwave with the convection feature. It heats faster and generally works well. It has metal ss walls and therefore harder to clean than a regular microwave. It is useful to keep a cheap or used microwave in the garage when something needs microwaving while you have something baking in the upper oven.

o

Well, separate units may just be Phil's opinion, but actually it is mine too and I just forgot to add that point. We were planning for separate units but they stopped production after we had ordered, so we ended up with the double. We were lucky to be warned (gee thanks)before the cabinet maker got to construction of that case! So far so good.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here