Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mycl

Gaggenau oven, microwave, steam-oven arrangement?

mycl
9 years ago

Hi all,

We are considering getting the gaggenau oven 200 series, steam-oven, and microwave.

- 200 oven is 60 cm tall
- steam-oven is 45 cm tall
- microwave is 38 cm tall. (combi-microwave is 45 cm tall).

What would be the best arrangement?

- microwave on top of steam-oven in tower ... 200 oven under stove, or under the tower (triple stack)

- combi steam - 200 oven - combi-MW (a bit like a T-shaped configuration; but three ovens sounds excessive!)

-?other configurations ... thought about getting the coffee machine to make a 'wall of four' but then you also need warming drawer...

Thanks in advance....

Comments (5)

• plllog
    9 years ago

Unless you do masses of cooking in a tiny kitchen, stacking all three isn't a good idea. None of them will be at a good height.

I have what I call a U with umlaut shaped kitchen, the Umlaut being a short island. The pantry is on the other side of the walkway behind the island. The uprights of the U are fairly short. The Gaggenau single oven and combi-steam are stacked on on of those short sides, and I have an Advantium (which serves for a microwave as well as a speed oven and convection oven) over a cabinet panelled warming drawer on the other short side, with cooktops and sink on the long base of the U. This works great!

Do you really need a Gaggenau microwave? It's probably made by Sharp or Panasonic anyway. If it's not stacked with the other ovens, it doesn't matter if it matches and you could get it to match anything else in your kitchen. Microaves also wear out faster if you use the a lot by the nature of how they work. Down the line (7, 10, 20 years), they won't match anyway. :) But by taking it out of the stack, you can also put the MW where it's most useful for you.

There may be design considerations in your kitchen that make the oven wall the only place, but even so, it might be optimal at the end of the wall, or something. I wanted it near the fridge and freezer for heating and defrosting stuff. Also the things I use it in non-MW mode for mostly come from that side of the kitchen. There are things I'd be more likely to heat in the combi-steam if It weren't across the kitchen. Convenience is a big factor Do you have young kids who help themselves? Perhaps near their snacks is important.

Three ovens are only excessive if you don't use them. I didn't use the warming drawer today. It's hot out.

• ILoveRed
    9 years ago

When we built this house several years ago I put the Gagg combi in my kitchen. Love, love love it. I just thought I had to have the matching microwave despite the advice I received here. After it went kaput, I replaced it with an Advantium.

There is nothing special about this microwave...

You should definitely get the two ovens if they are in the budget. Don't waste the space or money on this microwave, especially not in your stack which would certainly be too tall with all 3.

Buy a different microwave and put it somewhere else. I'm intrigued by the drawer everyone is talking about.

PS. Don't waste precious space on a dinosaur desk either ;-)

• mycl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks plllog and red lover....!

I think illl go the steam combi oven and oven...

Would you go side by side (with warming drawer under steam combi oven), or stack the steam combi oven on top of the oven?

They will be placed next to a bench...

• plllog
    9 years ago

Take a good look at the design. I would have preferred to put the ovens side by side, but they'd have looked really funny since they're so designed to stack. I would have been happy to separate them, but that didn't work with the rest of the layout.

Functionally, if you can put them both at optimal height (bottom of oven about counter height, or waist height on the primary user(s)), that's best. If you're fine with the way it looks, go for it.

Putting the combi-steam high is good for one reason--if you don't run the unsteaming cycle before you open the door, a plume of steam will come out and float up. The higher the oven, the less it's in your way. Because it's not something you tend, it's fine at any height you can reasonably control taking heavy pans in and out, about shoulder height. If there's something that needs turning or something, you pretty much have to take it out. In general, the combi- is more like a smoker, i.e., if you're lookin' you're not cookin'. :)

OTOH, on the warming drawer, while it might help the visual design, it might function better in a more operational part of the kitchen. Most people prefer them near the cooktop or easy access to the table.

• xedos
    9 years ago

Best arrangement is to put the microwave somewhere else, or get rid of it like lover suggests.

A troika stack is just too ungainly to use and looks pretty silly too.