Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mizlizzie_gw

Part keeps falling out of Bosch dishwasher? (Slight rant, :)

MizLizzie
9 years ago

Ten months after install, our Bosch DW tipped out of its hole and this part fell out. It had been feeling less and less secure for some time, but I thought it was my imagination. The dishwasher is paneled, which adds to the weight. In any case, the DW had clearly come unscrewed from the quartz countertop. Our contractor -- a good sort, but horrifically overworked now -- after looking at it himself, then sending the plumber in, finally got the countertop folks back here. Unfortunately, they sent two pleasant children who seemed clueless. I had to get the owners manual back out for them.

Anyhoo, they put in a new, long silver bracket between the dishwasher and the quartz countertop, somehow got this black piece back in, and screwed it all back up into the counter top. I don't know if they screwed it in deeper or what, but the dishwasher seemed stable, and still does. It actually looks more centered, too, to give the kids their due. However, two weeks after they left, this black part flew out again. A few days later, my contractor's site supervisor happened to be by here doing a side job for me, and he put this piece back in again, albeit without unscrewing the dishwasher. He admitted he did not know when he was doing. But the piece seemed to "snap in"very nicely this time, and I thought it was fixed. Unfortunately, this morning it fell out again.

So what is this piece, and it do I really need it? A gasket? The dishwasher seems to operate fine without it. By now, my warranty on the dishwasher is up, as is, theoretically, the warranty on my entire kitchen. That aside, I know my contractor will send someone else to look at it, but I'm very tired of dealing with it. I do have my own Bosch-certified repair man who is very reliable and I know he can fix it, but he will charge me at least $100 for the house call.

Is this rocket science, getting this part back in? It might be worth $100 to me to not have to deal with it, and watch the countertop kids go through the struggle again. I'm very much afraid if they keep screwing into the quartz they will crack it or something. Crazy? If the dishwasher tips back out again, could that damage the quartz? Anyway, sorry for the rant. Any and all technical advice appreciated. My temptation is to shove this gasket or whatever it is in a closet and forget about it.

Comments (6)