Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janetjerusalem

Freestanding refrigerator to look like built-in

15 years ago

I think I want to get the Liebherr 30" fridge because it is the only counter depth fridge here in Israel apart from the Amana 36" which requires a tremendous amount of space to open its very wide door. Since the 30" Liebherr in Israel costs about $3000 while the built-in of the same model is a whopping $12,500 (!!!!), I thought I'd get the freestanding one and build the cabinets around it. I was surprised to see the 30" Liebherr is not only available in the US but quite popular, so I was wondering if anyone there knows how close you can make the cabinets around it. I will have cabinets on both sides as well as overhead and would like the front to be flush with the cabinets. Would like it to look as built-in as possible....

Specific questions:

1. Does the hinge mechanism require space on the hinge side of the fridge in order to have clearance to open? My present ancient Amana doesn't need any clearance space--you could have cabinets flush up against it on both sides and the door would open fine.

2. Are built-ins made differently? They seem to require venting on top and bottom only--but not on sides, while many freestanding ones say you need to leave a certain amount of air space on the sides as well for ventilation. Why the difference?

3. Just curious--is the price difference between the freestanding and built-in usually so great in the States?

4. Should I post this on the Kitchen Forum as well?

The model #'s for the European models are different. They look pretty much the same in the brochures and the specs seem to be the same.

Thanks so much for any advice. The local importers seem to know very little about technical matters regarding the Liebherr products and Liebherr is not well know here---until very recently, you could only get their fridges at the importer's single showroom in the center of the country or thru some kitchen builders....

Janet in Jerusalem

Comments (2)

• 15 years ago

CS 16xx 30" Refrigerator Installation Instructions

Some important excerpts:

A gap of at least 2 inches (51 mm) depth must be provided behind and along the entire width of this unit to ensure sufficient ventilation. The area of ventilation above the unit should be at least 18 square inches (116 cm2). The greater the area the more economically the appliance will run.

1. When installing with standard kitchen units, maximum depth of 22-13/16 inches (580 mm) and decor panels of maximum 1/16 inch (2 mm) thickness, the appliance can be set up right next to the kitchen unit. The door protrudes 1-5/16 inches (34 mm) from the side of the kitchen unit and 2 inches (51 mm) at the front. This enables it to be opened and closed without difficulty.

2. When setting up the appliance next to a wall (Fig. 4, 4), a minimum distance of 1-7/16 inches (36 mm) must be provided on the hinge side between the appliance and the wall (for the handle when the door is open).

3. If you wish to attach the appliance to adjacent units or to fit a spacer between the appliance and the wall, please note the following:

Â Verify that the door can open and close properly.

Â Do not drill any holes in the side walls in Figure 4. Liebherr refrigerator/freezer combinations are equipped with a heating element to eliminate condensation when units are installed side by side. This element and foamed components can be damaged.

• 15 years ago

Many thanks for your prompt response....
    Yes, I had already studied that manual before posting, but it seemed to beg the question....

At one point it said "the appliance can be set up right next to the kitchen unit" as well as saying "the appliance can be installed in a row of kitchen units". But then it also says:
    " If you wish to attach the appliance to adjacent units or to fit a spacer between the appliance and the wall, please.... verify that the door can open and close properly." And then point 1., which you quoted, says "the appliance can be set up right next to the kitchen unit", but in the same sentence says "The door protrudes 1-5/16 inches (34 mm) from the side of the kitchen unit...".

My understanding is that you can have cabinets flush aganst it on the sides ONLY IF you have the front sticking out beyond the line of your counters. But then this contraditcts the opening sentence which states "A gap of at least 2 inches (51 mm) depth must be provided behind and along the entire width of this unit".....The illustration does not seem to leave any gap on the sides....

The other apart of my original question was how does the built-in model handle door-opening clearance and ventilation issues?? Isn't the front flush with its adjoining neighbors and flush up against them on the sides?

I'd love to hear if anyone had cupboards buit around their fridge so that the fridge is in a line with the fronts of the cabinets and does NOT leave gaps on the right side or the left side....[Venting would circle around the fridge from top-to-front-to-bottom-to-back-to-front, etc. with significant gaps above and below the fridge (like in the instruction manuals for the Liebherr built-ins). Then it would look just like a built-in....

Also, do built-ins usually cost 4x's the same freestanding model?

Janet in Jerusalem