Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recommended inexpensive canister vacuum

Posted by secsteve (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 17, 13 at 8:56

I'm looking to replace our Electrolux Oxygen canister bagged vacuum which is primarily for the downstairs area.

I don't need anything fancy as we have a Dyson animal for the upstairs area. I do bring it down when I need to, but would prefer to have one downstairs. The downstairs consists of living room, dining room and family room rugs. Family room is Berber and the other two are regular pile carpets. Only hardwood is hallway and kitchen.

I've been told Dirt Devil and Kenmore are both good to consider.

I don't need a $250 and upward vacuum and prefer a canister.

I've been checking different vacuums on line, but always like to hear from folks here.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recommended inexpensive canister vacuum

My housekeeper swears by Kenmore. She will not use anything else, not even a Meile or a central system. She hauls that Kenmore everywhere, and even buys the service contract. She says it always pays off for her, but YMMV. The average homeowner won't run their vacuum 4 hours a day.

o

Get the Shark Rotator Lift Away.
Cost around $200, better than your Dyson.

o
Powerful vacuum for $250?

I'm trying to find a decent vacuum for my son's new apartment space. It's hardwood floors and carpet.
He has northern breed dog residing there also.

I can't invest in a Miele. Would like to pick the best out of the units costing $250. I almost selected the Shark Pro series based on the reviews but then you read a review that claims there is weak suction and I wonder if people know what they're talking about. Is it true that American made vacuums are a joke? Someone claimed that European vacuums are more powerful (1700 watts) and much cheaper yet that doesn't seem to be the case when you look at the power of Mieles.

I searched multiple forums for information regarding vacuums. I would think this is an important topic. I'll be going to the library to see what CR says but hope to hear from others on the forum.
Thanks
TM

o

After reading your post I went to Amazon.com and checked all the brands they sell to see if one had positive feedback reviews. Most positives were short time owners. All low cost vacuums got large amounts of negative rants saying they are now cheap short lived junk imported from China. Even makers of expensive luxury models like Electrolux get their low cost models that way.. Maybe you could find a different on-line site with other brands and reviews yourself.

o

I've had a Panasonic canister for 20 years. It works fine, but its clumsy to use and I hate having to find bags. I also have a Dyson upright, and wouldn't buy anything but a Dyson again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here