Return to the Appliances Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Have you purchased large appliances online?

Posted by sreedesq (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 8:55

I am considering purchasing my appliances from an online retailer like build.com, AJ Madison, or abt.com. I am wondering if any of you have ever done this and if so, what was your experience?

A little background is that I do not have a large big box appliance store in my town and my local store isn't an authorized dealer for the appliances I am interested in. So, this isn't a situation where I would have local service available if I went with a local seller. The internet sellers do not offer white glove delivery in my area either.

The appliances I am considering are the 27 in. Electrolux Wave Touch Double Oven, Electrolux IQ Touch Side by Side Counter Depth Fridge with Perf. Temp Drawer, 30 inch Wolf gas cooktop, and an Imperial Range Hood.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Have you purchased large appliances online?

I purchased an appliance from ABT.

They sent a confirmation email.

Then sent a tracking number.

Then confirmed appliance shipped and estimated delivery date.

If you have time and you are not getting a discount for ordering all appliances at the same time maybe order one appliance at a time. If there is a problem you have a problem with one appliance not three.

I ordered a $5k range from a different internet dealer. That was a bit nerve racking until the range arrived.

Below is e'bay link to 30" Bluestar Cooktop. It is $1.2k plus shipping. I would strongly suggest this over Wolf. Google gardenweb + Bluestar or RNB to read up on Bluestar and their burners.

There is nothing special about that Wolf cooktop and therefore a reason to pay a premium. There is something special about the Bluestar.

Here is a link that might be useful: LINK

o

Thank you deeageaux! I by no means claim to be a cooktop expert, but my impression was that people really liked the Bluestar range tops more than the cooktops. Unfortunately, due to my layout I need a cooktop. I have researched the issue again and I'm willing to consider the Bluestar. I do like the control of the Bluestar. Does anyone know how much would I be looking at the purchase a 30 inch new retail?

I think I am leery of buying online b/c of an experience I recently had purchasing an expensive recessed medicine cabinet. It arrived 2-3 weeks early and had concealed damage. The seller has not been easy to work with.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply!

o

I bought my Kobe hood online from ventingdirect.com because no dealer in the area. Very good experience. The delivery guy - don't remember if UPS or Fedex - helped me open the box and pull it out enough to see if it was visibly damaged before I signed for it. It was fine.

I would use AJ Madison if I had to, and I'm sure there are others that give good service. Can you order from a big box online or Sears online? You'd think they would be reasonably trustworthy, too.

o

Thanks Ginny for the reply. You have a great UPS guy if he let you open the box and check it out first!

I guess once I knew I would have to buy online, I just started considering all of the retailers by their prices and whether they are authorized dealers. build.com sells Imperial so I am definitely considering using them for that purchase.

o

B/c of this, I have really been considering the Bluestar. It's cheaper than the Wolf and AJ Madison recommends it over the Bluestar. Does anyone have any feedback on their personal experiences with the Bluestar. Do you know of anywhere in or around the DC area (other than traveling to PA) where I could see one?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Appliances Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here